mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Trek EX 29er 9 140mm fork?

Has anybody tried the EX 29er with a Pike 140? I know Ibis Ripley can be used with either 120 or 140 but haven't heard of anybody trying this on a EX. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I don't know anyone has had time to try this yet lol the bikes haven't been out that long. What would be the reason to try this? I would think it would be easier to just ride a Remedy 29 that comes with the 140mm fork right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ibis Ripley and Niner Rip 9 can both be used with a 120 or 140mm fork. Trek only offers the 32mm stanchion 120mm fork. My thinking is it would be nice to slacken head angle, increase BB height and add a beefier/stiffer fork with more travel. I think it would be nice for the trails I ride here in CT, steep ups and downs with lots of rocks.
    My friend works at Bethel Cycle and he has a Remedy 29er. I have spent some time on the bike and it is great. It was a tough choice between the Fuel and Remedy but in the end I figured the Fuel may climb a little more efficient(haven't tried a Fuel yet though). I figured the Fuel with a longer travel fork may make a good compromise. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Using a bigger fork is one of the most common topics and there are always two opinions. Yes and No. Trek doesn't give you any option. If you use a bigger fork they will void the warranty because the geometry changes etc. But Trek for example offers the 2013 Fuel Ex 5 with 120 mm and the 7 with 130 which means that in reality it is not black and white.

Also (and this is just my opinion) the head angle degrees etc are purely theoretical since once you ride your bike and depending on the sag everything changes. And of course these bikes are designed to be ridden by people up to 135 kg so if they can stand such a huge range of riders with different sags going down trails etc I seriously doubt that anything will happen if you change your head angle degrees by 1.

And of course you can always keep your existing fork and replace it if something happens and you have to use your warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Picked my new bike up at Bethel Cycle yesterday, slapped some Enve carbon wheels on it and the new XX1 style 34 tooth ring from Race Face. Put in 2 hours of riding on very technical trails with constant ups and downs. Bike is very balanced and easy to ride. No bad habits. Very noticeable difference between the CTD modes which is nice. It is much smoother than the Rumble Fish and it reminded me more of a bottomless SF100. I would call it a very capable XC bike where as the Remedy 29 and Trigger 29 have a more confident Moto feeling in the steep drops. Yet, I did ride all the usual stuff and never had any problems. Just one ride but this bike is cool, nice purchase. Also, see no issue to put a longer stouter fork on the front. Lifting the BB and slow down the handling would be perfect for off season play.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am also thinking of upgrading my 2014 ex8 with a pike. My plan is to run with a dual position 120mm/150mm pike. Will 150mm travel on this bike cause any problems?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Taking a Fuel designed for a 120 fork, and increasing the travel to 150, PLUS adding a taller fork chassis (the Pike is probably about 10 mm taller in A/C than the 32 Fox) is kind of asking for trouble.

Personally, I'd probably be comfortable going to 140, but that would be my limit. Beyond that, you're really starting to increase the leverage on the head tube quite a ways beyond the design intent.

Note that all Fuel 29ers are fit with 120 mm travel forks. None have 130 mm forks.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.