mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Upset Trek Elite Bikes Rumor or Truth?

I'm still a "hardtail" fan and have been "saving and selling" for months now for a Trek Elite 9.8 with a Project One Paint Scheme.

I've sold three bikes at a loss to help finance this purchase and now that I'm ready to place my "order" at my LBS Local Trek Dealer - they tell me that Trek has discontinued the entire Elite lineup - 9.9, 9.8, & 9.7!!! What the %#@! ...

Anyone know if this is true? Any Trek Dealers out there that read this Board/Forum or even Trek Employees? Someone say it isn't so!! Please!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    not true my lbs says the 9.7 are in stock 9.8 are low stock 9.9 only in stock in 17.5 and 19.5

i dont know where they are getting there information

destructionismyobjective
    You cant take the word of one lbs as the ultimate truth. Look around. Im not saying it is or isnt true but like any scientist do research before you come to any solid conclusions. I saw a 9.8 at the lbs yesterday. Sweet bike, if I had the money and was more xc racer thats what id be gunning for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    bitterrider -

I do believe in "trust, but verify" and doing my research.

I'm calling another Trek Dealer on Monday, but this LBS says they had actually spoken with their Trek Rep and he told them that the Elites were being discontinued effectively - NOW - and they wouldn't take any "NEW" orders! I don't know if it's true or not - that's why I'm asking if any Trek Dealers or Trek Employees read this Board and can put this question to rest - rumor or truth.

There are several Elite 9.8's and 9.9's in stock at LBS's around here, but I want to order mine through the Project One site to get a certain custom paint job. This is why I've sold off part of my "bike stable" in order to "fund" this purchase. Thanks.

You got any chocolate?
    Just call Trek's customer service direct. Get it right from the horse's mouth. It wouldn't make sense for them to kill their hardtail racing bike. That is the ultimate race weapon!! But if in fact this is true, that Cannondale Taurine should fill in quite nicely. Hope this all b.s. though.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Trek's Customer Service #?

Quote Originally Posted by tg3895
    Just call Trek's customer service direct. Get it right from the horse's mouth. It wouldn't make sense for them to kill their hardtail racing bike. That is the ultimate race weapon!! But if in fact this is true, that Cannondale Taurine should fill in quite nicely. Hope this all b.s. though.
    Tom -

I can't find a telephone # on Trek's Website for Customer Service or any telephone # to contact them at all. I've emailed them a couple of times over the last month and have never received a response back.

Do you have a telephone # for Trek where they will talk with Consumers? It seems like they want all questions to go through their Dealer Network - which makes sense - but in this case, I'd like to hear it from "the horse's mouth" as you said. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    There is a questions form on their website. They are usually prompt in replying to that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

treks phone #

Quote Originally Posted by RC51_Texas
    Tom -

I can't find a telephone # on Trek's Website for Customer Service or any telephone # to contact them at all. I've emailed them a couple of times over the last month and have never received a response back.

Do you have a telephone # for Trek where they will talk with Consumers? It seems like they want all questions to go through their Dealer Network - which makes sense - but in this case, I'd like to hear it from "the horse's mouth" as you said. Thanks!
    treks phone # 1-920-478-2191

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm still a "hardtail" fan and have been "saving and selling" for months now for a Trek Elite 9.8 with a Project One Paint Scheme.

I've sold three bikes at a loss to help finance this purchase and now that I'm ready to place my "order" at my LBS Local Trek Dealer - they tell me that Trek has discontinued the entire Elite lineup - 9.9, 9.8, & 9.7!!! What the %#@! ...

Anyone know if this is true? Any Trek Dealers out there that read this Board/Forum or even Trek Employees? Someone say it isn't so!! Please!!!
    They currently have bikes available for your shop to order as I type this. Maybe they are getting axed, but they DO have them in stock right now.

You got any chocolate?
    Tom -

1-800-373-4594 I have used this number in the past with no problem. Keep us posted on their answer.
    Last edited by tg3895; 04-03-2007 at 08:26 AM.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

It's official - it's a Rumor

Whew!! Not true according to Trek.

The owner of one LBS (Trek Dealer) still swears that he's right (he must be pushing money off of him each morning when he gets out of bed to not want my order).

I do have one on order with another Trek Dealer in town who was more than happy to take my $,$$$ and place the Project One order!!! Trek Elite 9.8 with Project One Flying Ace Paint Scheme - I'll post pics in 6-10 weeks, but this is the config off of the P1 site:

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

whow!

super color, and super aggressive, I like it.
    Nice to discover that was just a rumor, it seems very strange by Trek to discontinue
    such a successfull bike.
    My 9.8 arrived yesterday at my LBS, but I'm waiting for some little modification....
    It's a super bike.
    f