mtbr member

Trek doesn't sell replacement frames?

I bought a Trek 8500 complete bike last summer and my frames got some damage on it now and plus I bought a size too large and want to buy a new med frame... but they don't sell just the frame! What's the deal? What happens if you need to buy a frame because you broke it? My LBS that I bought the bike from pretty much said I'm schit outta luck and that it'd be cheaper to just buy a completely new bike =| What an ass!
    Last edited by ScareyH22A; 06-08-2007 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How did the frame get damaged? Just checking because most of the time you can qualify for trek's crash replacement program (assuming you are the origional owner) where customers who have damaged their frames, and the damage is outside of the frame's warranty, can purchase a replacement frame at a discounted price. This is true even if they don't usually sell the model you're looking at as a frame only. Inquire at your local trek dealer about the program. They should have program and pricing info. It may take a little time but they should be able to help you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Sounds like you need a new bike shop *if* in fact that Trek dealer is the one you bought the new bike from.

- Email Trek maybe and explain your situation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sessionrider
    How did the frame get damaged? Just checking because most of the time you can qualify for trek's crash replacement program (assuming you are the origional owner) where customers who have damaged their frames, and the damage is outside of the frame's warranty, can purchase a replacement frame at a discounted price. This is true even if they don't usually sell the model you're looking at as a frame only. Inquire at your local trek dealer about the program. They should have program and pricing info. It may take a little time but they should be able to help you.
    The frame's not damaged enough to (actually just a good sized dent on the top tube) to qualify for a crash replacement deal. My biggest reason for a new frame is the size. I bought a large and it seemed pretty good to me at the beginning but after buying a different bike in a medium, I'm much more comfortable on a med and realized I should change the frame on my Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Sounds like you need a new bike shop *if* in fact that Trek dealer is the one you bought the new bike from.

- Email Trek maybe and explain your situation.
    I emailed Trek and they seemed pretty helpful. They responded within a day and told me that although they don't list the frame on any price list, if I'm a owner in need of a replacement, my LBS could contact them for me to purchase one. Too bad my LBS (the place I actually bought the Trek from) didn't seem to want to help or go out of their way to pick up the phone and give Trek a call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You might try another dealer in the area if there is one. If the shop you are trying to deal with can't recognise that they should be helping you if only for the simple truth that they would stand to make money on the deal, (standard markup on frame) then you should take your buisness somewhere more deserving.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I agree w/Session. That shop sold you the wrong size bike and they should step-up.
    I'd e-mail Trek again, further explain the situation, and maybe even ask if you can meet the local rep. for that shop on his next visit.

I'd also chalk-it-up to experience and find a better shop for future dealings UNLESS of course they change their tune.

Good luck!

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    That shop sold you the wrong size bike and they should step-up.
    I agree, they should be more helpful. But, I've worked at a few shops and some people (usually guys) simply won't listen when I tell them what size they need. I generally chalk it up to guys thinking that bike size equals penis size...but I'm sure that wasn't the case here...

From the happy owner of a 17.5"....well, you know...
    Last edited by Thirdrawn; 06-09-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    I agree, they should be more helpful. But, I've worked at a few shops and very often people (usually guys) simply won't listen when I tell them what size they need. I generally chalk it up to guys thinking that bike size equals penis size...but I'm sure that wasn't the case here...

From the happy owner of a 17.5"....well, you know...

- I feel ya.... I go through that every once in a while.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If the shop doesn't want to help you out contact Trek again with the shops name and address and let them know your local dealer doesn't want to help you with a new frame. I'm sure they would like to know when a shop is giving them a bad name.