mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek Demo Stache, Fuel, Remedy

Went to a Trek demo this weekend to help determine which bike to purchase. I was trying to decide between Stache and Fuel. Both are excellent bikes and felt very similar to me in the front end. The test trail was rocky and rooted so I was able to give them a good work out. After going back and forth the demo guys suggested I try a Remedy. I never considered the Remedy since I figured it was a specialty bike reserved for more aggressive riders and gave up a lot in terms of climbing ability to the Fuel and even more so to the Stache. Well I was really surprised. For an average xc rider for myself I thought it climbed fine although the trail did not have a lengthy time to fully test this. The steering was a bit slower compared to the Fuel and Stache but I think I liked it since it felt more stable. The Trelk demo guys (who were great btw) were pushing the Remedy. After the demo I have decided I want full suspension so the Stache is out, although it is a really fun bike. Now it is down to Fuel vs Remedy. Two great bikes, The frame on the Remedy can be adjusted to make it handle more like the Fuel. I did not test this but that is certainly a plus. Fun decisions. Bob

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Both are great bikes. Before getting my Fuel I had my eyes on the Remedy but it was only available on order while the Fuel was in stock and also offered with 350 euros discount so I bought the Fuel Ex 7 instead. Personally and based on my current riding style I believe that the Fuel is a better fit. It is lighter, climbs up really fast, corners beautifully and the fork and shock travel (130mm) seems to be long enough for me since eventhough I run them with 30+% sag I never bottomed them but I don't do more than 3 feet jumps or drops.

However if I have to be honest if the Remedy was available maybe I would have bought it instead purely based on what I would hope to do rather than what I am actually doing. Who knows, maybe in the future I will upgrade to a Remedy but for now and for the near future the Fuel seems like the best fit for me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Interesting, for me I am pretty much a simple XC rider. Not sure my riding habits will change so I want the bike that feels the best. The Fuel is really a FS version of the Stache in my mind. Both real responsive. The Remedy feels different, It felt like the tires were wider although they were identical to the others. The demo guys explained I was feeling the slightly less responsiveness of the Remedy which would give it an advantage for downhill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think Paris is refering to the 26" Fuel and Bob demoed the 29ers (That and the 650B Remedy's are what are on the demo trucks). I also demoed a Fuel EX in one size too big, and 3 Remedies (17.5 and 19" 29ers, and a 19.5" 650B). I prefered the Remedy 29er in the 19 size the most, but would like to try out a Fuel in the 19 size. I didn't feel like the Remedy gave up much to the Fuel, but it certainly added more capability. I think the Remedy was designed to be the "fun" bike and the Fuel more of the everyday or Marathon bike. That's essentially what the Demo Rep said too.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    correct, I was demoing the 29ers and I agree with what you said above. I think the Remedy is the sleeper bike with the Fuel getting all the press. Bob

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes you are correct. I was talking about the 26er Fuel. If I had to choose between the 29er Fuel and the 27.5er Remedy I would choose the Remedy since I am not a big fan of 29ers (I had a Scott Spark 29er).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I bought the Fuel 29er. Although my terrain does not warrant the Remedy I really want to ride one
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Remedy was a nice bike, and I had no problem making it climb. After much deliberation, I decided on a 2013 Stache 7. Was out all day today on its first ride and I am very pleased with the purchase. Did a lot of demos but nothing like getting your new bike out on your trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    The Remedy was a nice bike, and I had no problem making it climb. After much deliberation, I decided on a 2013 Stache 7. Was out all day today on its first ride and I am very pleased with the purchase. Did a lot of demos but nothing like getting your new bike out on your trails.

Hey Bob, Just curious what made you decide to end up with the Stache, after initially concluding you wanted a FS bike? I ask as I am somewhat facing the same dilemma.

I current ride a 2011 Fuel EX 9 26er, and am looking at getting either a Stache 8 or Fuel EX 8 29er. The stache looks like a ton of fun, but wanted to get the opinion coming from somebody who demo'd both.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Hey Bob, Just curious what made you decide to end up with the Stache, after initially concluding you wanted a FS bike? I ask as I am somewhat facing the same dilemma.

I current ride a 2011 Fuel EX 9 26er, and am looking at getting either a Stache 8 or Fuel EX 8 29er. The stache looks like a ton of fun, but wanted to get the opinion coming from somebody who demo'd both.

Thanks!
    Good question, there were a few factors

1) At my current weight, ~255, I was at the limits of the suspension for the rear shock. The demo guys were filling to MAX PSI. The DRCV is nice but does limit the shocks weight handling capability.
    2) There were some reports of problems with the 2013/14 Fox shocks, although I believe there is a recall now to handle that. I just wanted to avoid the drama.
    3) I had trouble deciding between the Fuel and he Remedy, and before I dropped ~3K on a bike I had to love it.
    4) 650B Fuel (speculation on my part) and Remedy should be readily available next year.
    5) The 2013 Stache 7 was at closeout price and ~$2K less than these two.
    6) Currently I am working hard at losing some weight. If I am successful, I promised my reward will be a Fuel or Remedy. 7) Really like the Stache and the simplicity of the Hard tail. I am on it at least 3-4 times per week and its plenty of fun.

Hope that helps,

Bob

mtbr member
    Yah I am hoping Trek does the FUel 650B. I am 5'8 140 and have ridden 29ers before, but the FS 29ers feel a tad boatish to me. That said I havent tried the Fuel 29, so cant comment there.

The Stache does look awesome and a ton of fun, so its good to see somebody had the same dilemma.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallejo View Post
    Yah I am hoping Trek does the FUel 650B. I am 5'8 140 and have ridden 29ers before, but the FS 29ers feel a tad boatish to me. That said I havent tried the Fuel 29, so cant comment there.

The Stache does look awesome and a ton of fun, so its good to see somebody had the same dilemma.
    The Stache has a shorter wheel base as well compared to the Fuel although I did not notice any difference. Make sure to try the 650B Remedy. I skipped it but will certainly try next summer when the demos come around again. Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Funny you mention the wheel base. I have not looked up the measurements but the stache seems longer than the fuel. When I put my EX8 29er and my buddies Stache 8 on my saris Thelma rack the stache seems longer. That aside I though on my local trail the fuel handled the tight single track better than the stache. I used to have a 2011 EX8 26er and though the EX8 29er had many of the playful charactaristics as the 26' version.

As for a 650b fuel I am not sure about that. I think it will be up to how well the public takes to the 650b in the next year or two
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    That aside I though on my local trail the fuel handled the tight single track better than the stache. I used to have a 2011 EX8 26er and though the EX8 29er had many of the playful charactaristics as the 26' version.
    Wow, you must me good, if you look at the geometry, (I am not expert) the Fuel does have less trail and is less slack compared to the Stache. Perhaps that is why the Fuel handles the tight single track better, but the Stache would have the edge on the downhill, forgetting about the rear suspension. I found them pretty much the same, the larger difference with me was with the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    Wow, you must me good, if you look at the geometry, (I am not expert) the Fuel does have less trail and is less slack compared to the Stache. Perhaps that is why the Fuel handles the tight single track better, but the Stache would have the edge on the downhill, forgetting about the rear suspension. I found them pretty much the same, the larger difference with me was with the Remedy.
    Yea it looks like the wheel base is only 1 cm longer on the Fuel 29er.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Funny how a couple slight differences in measurements can change the ride.

I am looking forward to the Trek demo in ATL in Feb. I want to ride the remedy 29er
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    I was thinking of the new Remedy 650b, but I'd think it would be a bit much for me, as I dont really do anything too crazy... mostly XC/singletrack stuff so I like the climbing prowess and more XC-oriented bike.

Gonna try out the Fuel and Stache and see which 29er to go with. Really was hoping they would do Fuel 650!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I am looking forward to the Trek demo in ATL in Feb. I want to ride the remedy 29er
    I went up a size on the Remedy, seem to fit better.