Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 13 Trek CrossRip Elite and totally love it. It has opened up a found new joy in urban riding as well as the option to hit the local trails. Coming from MTB this bike just puts a smile on my face each time I ride it. Trying to unite others who have experienced the same thing so post them up and share your thoughts, opinions, reviews, upgrades etc. Here are a couple pics of mine.

Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-crossrip.jpg

Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-crossrip-2.jpg

Happy Trekking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Mine's at the LBS waiting for a shorter stem. I wish they had the matte black frame for the Elite. I'm was also surprised at the jump between 50 to 54 cm frames with nothing in between. I cross shopped the Jamis Bosanova but no one had that thing in stock around me at all.

Primarily going to use mine as a commuter.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    OK picked up the bike yesterday after a quick fitting. Rode it work this morning. Here it is before it's maiden voyage:
    Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-8704799456_7220347daa_b.jpg

This thing ain't winning no weight contests, that for sure. And coming from Ultegra on my road bike, Sora feels clunky. But the bike is really comfortable. I'm sure the wider tires help a lot and I do look forward to riding different types of trail surfaces with this as opposed to just tarmac.

(Edit: I know, the seat needs to point down a little bit and no I'm not removing the dork disk or reflectors, it's a commuter, damn it! )
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Congrats Josh on da new ride! =) Yea, was disappointed on the weight but for this being my first cross bike. I have no other complaints =) Def more of a commuter/trainer bike than a race bike for sure but each time I ride her it still puts a smile on my face because it is so comfortable to ride. Got 100 miles so far and just got some new tires for her. Purchased a set of Continental Grandprix 4 seasons 28c folding tires. Price was pretty expensive and did not get the satisfaction I was hoping for which was a 1.5+ mph on my rides but maybe I just need to break them in. What size did you get? Im 5'9 with an inseam of 30. According to others my frame size should be a 52-54 cm but I picked up a 56cm since it was $200 dollars off and it was the only size they had. Surprisingly, it fits and feels smaller than my 17.5 29er. I do feel a little stretched out when riding but I'm sure a quick swap on the stem to a 70 from 90 would do the trick. Otherwise, I have not other complaints on the sizing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I got a 54cm. Apparently 50cm was sold out everywhere. I had them put a shorter stem on it which helped out a lot. I'm 5'8" so I had to lower the seat a bit too. Funny you ride a 17.5 29er. I actually probably should have gone with that but they fit me on a 19.5 2011 Trek X-Caliber. It is a little big but I've been riding it for 2 years with no problems. I think I might actually swap the original stem from the Crossrip on it to see how that feels.

It is heavy but the gearing makes up for it. I guess it's entry level AL and entry level wheels so it's not totally surprising. I had to re-adjust the front derailleur and while it still rubs slightly, it's much better than when I first got it.

Why did you go with the road tires? I'm actually planning on putting some 700c x 32 small block 8 tires I have lying around. The wide tires are super comfortable. I rode down a freshly milled road on the way home and actually very tolerable.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    heheh that's funny =) I say as long as it feels right forget what numbers say and others opinions because they are not the ones riding the bike. I went with road tires because I spend most of my time on the Rip on open roads and barely hit the dirt since I take my 29er in the mountains. I am faster but not as fast as I think I would be especially dropping $100 on the tires. I am now thinking about Semi Slicks such as the Sammy Slick or Kenda Happy Mediums in 32c. I already got a pinch flat lol. Was looking at the Stans 340 disc wheelset and perhaps upgrading to 105's 10 speed drive train in the future but we will see. Happy Friday and RIDE ON!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    On the Road the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are very very fast and puncture resistant

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Heavy duty version of Crossrip: fenders and Schwalbe Marathon Winter

Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-fiets_sneeuw_011.jpg

In the meantime the fenders and the spike tyres are stored away.

Can anybody recommend decent stable fenders? The Trek Bontrager Approved model is really not solid.

Ps: do not try this at home. My Ultegra rear derailleur suffered from rust.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have Planet Bike Hybrid Hardcore fenders on mine. I had to get creative with the front left attachment because of the brake calipers but it's been fine with some zipties to the eyelet.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/8...3f53def5_h.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks joshhan. I am using Plant Bike fenders on my MTB. However the purchase was rather painfull: 35 USD for the fenders + 35 USD for the shipment. And as a nice surprise: extra 30 USD customs at delivery in Belgium

mtbr member
    Great pics everyone! So just curious how many miles have you logged so far? According to Strava I got about 168 miles for a little over a month. =) Still loving it!

Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-dez-format-2.jpg

Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-dez-format-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    262.9 mi according to Strava as well. Since the beginning of May. Mostly commuting.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    262.9 mi according to Strava as well. Since the beginning of May. Mostly commuting.
    wow now dat is mileage! Awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-2013-05-31-12.39.13-1-.jpgTrek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-2013-05-31-12.39.48-1-.jpgTrek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-new-bike-i.jpg my crossrip and I seeing the world. I love it dearly. changed out seat and got the bontrager paradigm rl saddle. the bb5 brakes are getting replaced with trp hy/rd's soon. I do 25 miles a day or more with np.

lurker
    Jun 2013

Love the crossrip, completely confused

Hello everyone! Help a noob please, I'm desperate.

I am looking at a new bike (complete newbie) and I really like the Trek Crossrip Elite. I test rode a 54 today and it felt good but the drop handlebars are very alien to me (very uncomfortable) and my back definitely was sore from such an acute angle lean. I wanted to try a 56 but they don't have it in stock (they can order it but I have to agree to buy it first). I test rode a different model 56 and the angle was better for my back (but other than that, I felt no real difference, but I don't know what difference I'm even looking for).

But then the salesman said that he could adjust the 54 by changing the stem and adjusting the seat. So my question is, what things can I actually observe, note, feel, to know which bike size fits me best? And is it normal to sit on the seat of the bike and be on your tippy-toes with the ground? I prefer flat footed but I am inexperienced with such a bike, maybe this is normal? (I'm 6'0" 31 inseam).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 122333 View Post
    Hello everyone! Help a noob please, I'm desperate.

I am looking at a new bike (complete newbie) and I really like the Trek Crossrip Elite. I test rode a 54 today and it felt good but the drop handlebars are very alien to me (very uncomfortable) and my back definitely was sore from such an acute angle lean. I wanted to try a 56 but they don't have it in stock (they can order it but I have to agree to buy it first). I test rode a different model 56 and the angle was better for my back (but other than that, I felt no real difference, but I don't know what difference I'm even looking for).

But then the salesman said that he could adjust the 54 by changing the stem and adjusting the seat. So my question is, what things can I actually observe, note, feel, to know which bike size fits me best? And is it normal to sit on the seat of the bike and be on your tippy-toes with the ground? I prefer flat footed but I am inexperienced with such a bike, maybe this is normal? (I'm 6'0" 31 inseam).

For your size I would suggest the 58, the 54 is waaaay too small for you. Have your bike shop measure you and get you fitted if you're going to have it ordered. Also check out this site for pointers on sizing. Articles about Bicycle Frames and Fitting

Best of luck to you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got mine back in mid-April and replaced all the drivetrain components with Shimano Ultegra 3x10s from an older Trek Madone that I had. It helped on the weight a little bit. The community I live in has over 100 miles of paved multiuse paths that criss-cross the city in every which direction. I ride about 20-30 miles a day, four days a week with about 75% of that on the open road and the rest on the paved paths. I've put well over 1000 miles on it so far and the only real complaint I have is that I already need to replace the tires on it. Of my seven bikes, this one gets the most use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quick question, I have my stock wheelset from my 2011 Trek X-Caliber with some 32mm Kenda Small Block 8s currently installed on them. Think they would be an upgrade to the stock wheelset on the CrossRip? The CrossRip wheels weren't even branded IIRC while the X-Caliber wheels are at least Deore hubs and Bontrager SSR rims.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Cross Rip

I got my Cross Rip on 5/28 and love it. I'm pushing 400 miles on it so far.
    I live along a rails to trail path that is mostly gravel with some paved spots. I'm on a mission to loose some weight and its going well so far. Down 30#s in 3 months. My new bike is helping with that a lot.

Trek Crossrip and Crossrip Elite Roll Call-photo.jpg

I was looking for a bike I could put in 40 mile rides on. I have't hit that number yet but I've got a few 32 mile rides in.

I have to try lowering my tire pressure a bit. Sometimes the front wheel will was out on the gravel in a turn. Aside from that I love this bike.

-RFZ

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Perk trail! Nice, I'm in Lansdale and ride that every once in a while. It's great exercise. Keep up the riding and you'll find yourself riding the Perk trail into the SRT and back for some serious miles!

I know the gravelly spots you're talking about and it's not necessarily going to get better with lower pressure. Deep pockets of gravel are tough to turn on with fat mountain bike tires too.

Maybe a fat bike would be ok.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If I can keep my new routine going through the fall, I've promised myself a fat bike.

I've ridden a Salsa Mukluk a few times in some snow. It amazing what they can handle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Undecided ????

Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    Hi everyone, I just picked up a 13 Trek CrossRip Elite and totally love it. It has opened up a found new joy in urban riding as well as the option to hit the local trails. Coming from MTB this bike just puts a smile on my face each time I ride it. Trying to unite others who have experienced the same thing so post them up and share your thoughts, opinions, reviews, upgrades etc. Here are a couple pics of mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crossrip.jpg 
Views:	3325 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	793787

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crossrip 2.jpg 
Views:	1974 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	793788

Happy Trekking!
    Thanks for making this post---
    Rode my friends road bike a few times and could not get into the drop bars and angle of it-- it's the correct size and stem for me. But don't like the aggressive frame.

6'2 235lbs. Primarily a mtn biker but looking at a more relaxed top tube for all around road bike- cross bike - rails to trails bike - inclement weather- all around bike ???

Lbs has trek crossrip - bmc grand fondo w/ disc and also felt f65x. The felt has ill more aggressive frame than grand fondo & crossrip.

Want to get into road riding -fire roads/ rails to trails / long road rides to train for mtn and lose weight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow just saw the 2014 Trek crossrip Ltd.
    I may have to go that route !

2014 Trek CrossRip, CrossRip Comp, CrossRip Elite and CrossRip LTD | Village Cycle Center Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmmm, don't tempt me. I've been considering a fatbike for winter commuting and MTB.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just picked up a crossrip 2013 and sold my 29er. I am mainly a roadie but I like to hit the trails. I live in PA and like to use that trails usually weekly for a change of pace. Jeff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast