Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trek Cobia

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Trek Cobia

Any photos of your Cobia are accepted. If no other person has a Cobia besides me, I would be surprised.
    Here is mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Cobia-10093.jpg  

Trek Cobia-10091.jpg  

Trek Cobia-9930.jpg  

Trek Cobia-9929.jpg  

Trek Cobia-9928.jpg  

Trek Cobia-kjh_2420.jpg  

Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    I'll play.

Trek Cobia-oklahoma-city-20130210-00055.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

1 1/2 weeks old.

Only ridden once for an hour. This rain every time I have a day off has to stop!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here's Mine. I've had it since July-ish and the only thing left stock is the saddle and seatpost.

Trek Cobia-img5110j.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Noticed the Stan Arch wheels, I was considering those or maybe the crest for mine. Do you have any thoughts? Pretty noticable difference?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarBulldog View Post
    Noticed the Stan Arch wheels, I was considering those or maybe the crest for mine. Do you have any thoughts? Pretty noticable difference?
    The biggest difference was the weight. Between the wheels and converting to tubeless I have saved over a pound and a half in rotational weight. They roll so much better than the stock wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a 2013 cobia. I upgraded to xt brakes and shifters. Bbg bash guard. Slk carbon handlebar. Bontrager xxx seatpost. Reba fork, and wtb volt seat. Tried posting pics but it said file error or something. Any help getting pics up would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Got it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Cobia-image.jpg  

Trek Cobia-image.jpg  

Trek Cobia-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just picked one up last night. Rode it to work today and loved it. Haven't ridden a MTB since I was a kid, and boy is my rear end sore! But I can't wait to hit some trails out in the desert!

Can't post pictures until I hit 10 posts but I got the Blue/Black/White version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsean627 View Post
    I have a 2013 cobia. I upgraded to xt brakes and shifters. Bbg bash guard. Slk carbon handlebar. Bontrager xxx seatpost. Reba fork, and wtb volt seat. Tried posting pics but it said file error or something. Any help getting pics up would be appreciated.
    I just picked up a new 13 Cobia today. What did those upgrades cost you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I bought a 4 month old xcal on ebay with all of the components for 1175. I put my components on it and sold it for 925. So 250.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Trek Cobia

Quote Originally Posted by Gsean627 View Post
    On the XT brake upgrade did you keep the original rotors? Or upgrade those too? I just got a new Cobia as well and the brakes on it feel horrible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Actually I don't know. The wheels I got the upgraded wheels from the xcal also. I'm not sure if the rotors were stock or not. The difference between xt and elixir 1 is night and day. The brakes and the running tubeless are the biggest difference in my bike from then and now. I hated the original brakes as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So i just got a cobia - and am reading you about the upgrades.. Where did you start Gsean627.. what was the best first upgrade you would recommend?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Honestly, brakes and going tubeless. Shimano brakes are much higher quality IMO. Also the extra traction from running lower pressures has been a big bonus. Either one of those you will notice an instant change. The xt derailleurs are nice but not a big enough difference to warrant the $.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joewat64 View Post
    On the XT brake upgrade did you keep the original rotors? Or upgrade those too? I just got a new Cobia as well and the brakes on it feel horrible.
    These are original rotors. Not xt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thanks gsean627 - yah i was out today and my brakes are starting to make noise... so i might go look... so you have a particular model that you like...

thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by patricktrekrider82 View Post
    thanks gsean627 - yah i was out today and my brakes are starting to make noise... so i might go look... so you have a particular model that you like...

thanks.
    I would take some rubbing alcohol and wipe down the rotors real good to take care of noise. When my breaks get dirty they tend to squawk as well. I have XT's on my bike but I have had lower grade shimano's that are worlds better than the elixir 1's.

To me, any shimano brakes are better than an Avid Elixir 1. I have ridden bikes with Deore brakes, and those are so much more efficient at stopping.
    In the future I plan to upgrade:
    Fork: FOX Float 32 120
    R. Derailleur: Shimano SLX 10 spd
    Brakes: Shimano SLX (front with 180 mm rotor)
    Shifters: Shimano Deore 10 spd Rapidfire Plus
    Rims: Bontrager Duster 29

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i plan on starting my upgrades soon!! I love the Cobia but i see alot of improvements i can make to it... its overall a nice ride... and handles nice and rides well - but its time to give it a little love and some new parts..

a buddy told me i should go get medal pedals, without clips... he told me the medal will last longer, but he feels i am not ready to be clipped in.. he wants me to get better and understand the bike and ride more... - but cant stand to see the plastic pedals.. haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i guess my real issue is - when i look at parts knowing what is truely a worthy upgrade and mostly what will fit on my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Trek Cobia-image.jpg

Here's my recently acquired Cobia. Bought it mainly to go out with the kids rather than use my main steed (Trek Rumblefish Pro). I've added some DMR vault pedals and a Fizik Gobi XM saddle since this photo.

I have to say that I'm very pleasantly surprised by the Cobia. What a comfortable bike, I love it!

Live 2 Ride & Ride 2 Live
    love all the Cobia's here and the ones we have yet to see!

here's mine staged by my apartment door ready to go. she's my first 29'er. i've only upgraded a few things--gonna ride her stock for a bit to see what i really want to change later. her only major action seen was at the last Sea Otter Classic. all other action has been local trails. as you all know...shes a lot of fun.
    Trek Cobia-my-trek-cobia.jpg

near the top of Kenneth Hahn Park (a bunch of lovely hidden trails in the midst of an urban city, Culver City, CA)
    Trek Cobia-20130120_122943.jpg

this last shot i pulled from a GoPro run at Kenneth Hahn Park.
    Trek Cobia-kennethhahn-1-.jpg

Here are the latest pics of my Cobia:

Trek Cobia-kjh_0731.jpg

Trek Cobia-kjh_0729.jpg

Trek Cobia-kjh_0725.jpg

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Bought as a back-up bike while my Rumblefish gets rebuilt rear shock. Nice bike, glad I got it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Cobia-p7060010c.jpg  

2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast