mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Trek Care Plus extended warranty anyone have experience with this?

I just bought a Trek Fuel EX7. The dealer has offered me the "Trek Care Plus" extended warranty. Generally, I am not usually interested in extended warranties, but this one may be a good buy. I'm looking for advice from people who have experience with this. In my case, it will cost $359.00 for three years of coverage. Anyone?

mtbr member
    I have no personal experience with it, however, the shop I used to work at was talking to be about it.
    Apparently is is not just an "extended warranty", but usage coverage too.
    I was told that if you ride, crash, and break something it's replaced. I was also told that lets say you ride enough, and wear out your derraileur - it is replaced. You must do the maintenance on it, but if something breaks or wears out due to crash or usage, it is replaced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well do you think you'll have to put 120 in parts a year into the bike to maintain it? I have a2009 ex7 with ALOT of miles on it and I have never worn out a derailleur, or cranks, etc. The only thing i wear out is chains, and tires. I personally would not spend the cash, but only you can answer that.

mtbr member
    That is one of the reasons I didn't do it.

By the way - it also ONLY COVERS ITEMS ON THE BIKE AT TIME OF PURCHASE.

I removed the brakes, shifters, and rear derailleur, and went to Hope brakes, Sram XO grips, and an X9 rear D. So, most of that stuff is already not covered.

Taco a wheel? Covered. Crash and put a major dent the frame? Covered. Scratch the stanction tube in a tip-over? Covered. Worn out chain? Covered. Now, a chain is not 120 bucks a year though. I know, it's one of those things, I guess if it's worth it or not. I personally am not going to buy it, but I CAN see the possible benefits to it.

mtbr member
    For most rider I think it is a great thing!
    "Taco a wheel? Covered. Crash and put a major dent the frame? Covered. Scratch the stanction tube in a tip-over? Covered. Worn out chain? Covered". Fork and shocks seals are covered. I can go thought 2-3 chains a year, shifter cable and housing every 6 month and a cassette and chain rings at the ens of the 3 years. Its a no brainier for me.

Riding a Fuel EX 9.9 29er and I think I will be able to get more then my moneys worth.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gambo2166 View Post

Riding a Fuel EX 9.9 29er and I think I will be able to get more then my moneys worth.
    You will pay a bit more than the $359 quoted to the EX7 rider. The warranty price goes up with the price of the bike. I was quoted in the neighborhood of $150 for an $1100 bike and $350 for a $2400 bike.

-r.

mtbr member
    Its was the $359 plan. $2000.99 - $6999.99=$359.99

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Last I checked, EX9.9 29'ers sold for $8K+?

mtbr member
    It's a Project One build with XT MSRP was $6600.00

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's a Project One build with XT MSRP was $6600.00
    Ahhhh, OK. My bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's the thing that get's me about this. It's much more of a deal if you get a 7k bike by far. Especially since most likely has more parts that you won't be upgrading. Not to mention a dropper (which to be fair im not sure if it's included).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deputydog2003 View Post
    I just bought a Trek Fuel EX7. The dealer has offered me the "Trek Care Plus" extended warranty. Generally, I am not usually interested in extended warranties, but this one may be a good buy. I'm looking for advice from people who have experience with this. In my case, it will cost $359.00 for three years of coverage. Anyone?
    I normally would not buy something like this. The bike shop gave me a good price on the Trek Care so I got it.
    So far the seals on the rear shock were replaced and the bearings in the rear wheel have also been replaced . The bearings were really rare to go out that early . So far Trek Care has paid for it all.
    Its also a nice feeling to know if most anything breaks or wears out I am covered. I ride 2-3 times a week pretty hard so I am glade I have the Trek Care.
    I am Happy.

mtbr member
    It also covers cables/housing so technically you could get them replaced every time you had the bike tuned up. Bottoms brackets are also covered. Tired grips and brake pads are the only major exclusions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Do it! This just happened to me on my EX 9.8 this weekend:

I dropped it off at Trek yesterday and they are going to have their lead mechaninc take a look at it today. According to the manager last night I will probably be getting a new frame instead of a repair job. No questions asked, it's getting taken care of. Also, a couple weeks after buying the bike, I had a bent rear deraileur and it was replaced free of charge as well. Totally worth ever penny IMO!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought it for my 2013 Fuel EX8.
    So far I have broken 2 SLX brake levers, front shifter, bent rear cassette, broken chain, and tweaked the rim a little.
    All were covered by the warranty!! I ride pretty hard and I have already had over $400 in replacement parts replaced no questions asked. Still have 30 months left on the warranty also.
    I'd say it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Agreed! Replaced a frame and a rear XT deraileur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just an update: I decided to purchase the Trek Care, and now I'm relieved to know that anything that happens to the bike now, will not cost me to have fixed. (Besides the medical bills!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good call!

mtbr member
    Just an up date I had a ding in my rim so I took it in for replacement with Trek care . The mechanic checked my drive train also said my chain was worn and the cassette was too. Keep in mind I ride my bike 3 times a week 3 hours each time every week,
    I bought the bike in September .
    So I am getting a new chain and cassette and a new rear wheel. I am so happy !
    I don't get it ?
    So many people don't give a hoot about this Trek Care
    And all these reviews of the new so called Enduro bikes never mention it . Anyone who rides hard and puts the miles on a bike know parts break and wear out. This is such a great deal. This is a big reason why i bought this bike because of the warranty and the Trek care. No company I know is going to replace a wheel with a ding in it for free .