Thread: Trek Care Plus+

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Trek Care Plus+

Hey guys,
    I'm about to buy either a X-Cal 9 or a Stache 7. I'm new to MTB, and was wondering if it's worth paying the extra $150.00 for the Trek Care Plus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can probably get your money's worth if you will ride a lot.
    But you could put that money towards upgrades as things wear out or good deals come up.
    That would seem likely to me given the spec level of the bikes.

mtbr member
    I did not do it on my mountain bike, but I did on my road bike.

It only covers items that are on the bike, or purchased with the bike from the shop, which is why I did not do it on the mountain bike.
    If you ride alot, or are concerned about crash damage, DO IT.

Warranty will not cover any crash damage, the Trek Care will.
    The only thing it does not cover is anything rubber, or anything that's life is specifically designed to wear. (grips, tires, tubes, brake pads)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I think it's worth the price of admission.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I got it and am glad I did. I have not had to use it yet (only had my bike 2 months) but it gives me some piece of mind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLXT View Post
    I got it and am glad I did. I have not had to use it yet (only had my bike 2 months) but it gives me some piece of mind.

I tipped per I bike over on the road and scratched the rear derailleur , would that cover it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If it's no longer functional.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    No it's still working fine.. Just road rash

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have it and have made good use of it. A couple of weeks after purchase I endod, the bike cartwheeled away from me, and landed chain stay first on a rock. Replacing the stay covered the purchase of the plan.

Then, two weeks ago my front wheel kicked up the edge of a large flat rock which wedged into my rear derailleur cage causing it to explode. It too was covered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought it for my Fuel and already used it within the first month to replace a bent cassette. Already have half my money back. I'll definitely wear out a few drive trains in that three year period, so it will get used.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    New cassette, xt derailler, xt front twp chainrings, chain, and front wheel (2). Dont be an ass get trek care plus. The thing is make sure you are happy with what is specced on the bikes. I would go with the stache 8

mtbr member

Trek Care Plus+

Totally worth it! Trek did backflips to weasel out do warranting my frame and all they would offer is a crash replacement of the front triangle which cost me $650 after tax and took a whole month to get squared away. You will get your money's worth, even if only in peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I got it on my X-Cal which is only 2 months old and am using it to replace my front rim which i tore up on a fall. So far they have had my bike for two weeks and still no replacement....needless to say, i'm not all that impressed so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trek Care Plus+

Yes it is. I've replaced the carbon frame, XT rear derailleur, cassette and chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It is worth it just for drivetrain stuff. I just ordered a full zoot xtr fuel 9.9 29 and I'll be getting it for sure. I don't even want to know how much a new xtr cassette runs, nor will I find out for several years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Trek Care Plus+

Never heard of this, or was offered it, I have 100 miles on my 2015 fuel ex 7, too late to purchase a plan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2015 Trek Fuel EX 7 29
    2013 GT Zaskar 9r Sport

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Trek Care Plus+

I guess this is why I wasn't offered it...... http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/support/trek_care_plus/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2015 Trek Fuel EX 7 29
    2013 GT Zaskar 9r Sport

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It totally sucks that Trek has decided to no longer offer the Trek Care +, as this was one of the things that attracted me to the brand. I order my bike prior to the cutoff date, but my bike isn't supposed to come in until next month. I wonder if Trek will be able to weasel me out of the Trek Care + package.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2015 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    First time post but longtime lurker. Just bought a 2014 Fuel EX 7 about 2 weeks ago (love it) and went into the shop the other day and they asked if I was still interested in the Trek Care Plus package because they were discontinuing it. Said that they were simply paying out too much for what they were bringing in with sales. Makes sense to me, so I went with it. I've never really broken any parts before but as someone said above, this does give me peace of mind. I'm thinking it will make me ride just a bit harder too. We'll see. While I would like to upgrade parts here and there this will likely save me money in the long run and let me focus on my skills first. Again, peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well, I just picked up my new Stache 7. I've got buyers remorse, because Trek no longer offers Trek Care +. I ordered the bike in early September, but the Stache was on backorder. When I ordered the bike, I indicated that I wanted the Trek Care +, and the store figured it into my quote. The store manager checked with his rep, and Trek is firm that the program is no longer offered, as there's nothing they can do about it. One of the main reasons I went with Trek is due to this program. I wonder what their Bike Return Policy is?
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2015 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bought another Fuel around 6 months ago over other brands because of the plan, I probably won't be buying another Trek if I can't get it in the future.

They should turn it back over to the vendor that was administering the "Red Shield" plan they had before, it wasn't as comprehensive, but was still a great deal.

mtbr member
    Stinks they stopped this but it made sense. U paid a little and got free replacements on anything u destroyed. Problem is they didn't factor how hard so many ppl can be on a bike and ill bet just drive train part replacements alone was killing them. Plus shops time to install the parts.

Not sure if any other company has a similar plan, all 3 bikes in my garage are trek, never bought the plan. I think their crash replacement discount with standard warranty is plenty good enough to keep me coming back. I'm happy to pay to replace worn out parts or things that break do to my use. Part of any hobby/sport.

I think they'll bring something similar back but nothing like what they had. No company can sustain a program like that when u are covering parts involved in offroad abuse.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trek Care Plus+

Quote Originally Posted by Chowder Head View Post
    I bought another Fuel around 6 months ago over other brands because of the plan, I probably won't be buying another Trek if I can't get it in the future.
    I am in the same boat as you. Was going to buy the 2015 carbon Slash over the Yeti and Santa Cruz but now that the warranty is gone I am back to the drawing boards.