mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New question here. Trek carbon fiber Hard Tail with rear flex?

It seems a full suspension bike of good caliber is out of my budget and I remember a colleague classmate in ~2002 with a Trek carbon fiber hard tail (front suspension fork) that had a little "give" or flex when in the rear of the bike when the rear was compressed. He said it helped take the "hit" off of bumps while riding. Apparently it was something to do with the material design in that rear part of the bike frame. The best part was he only paid ~$900 brand new from a bike shop around that time period. Does anyone know the model bicycle I'm referring to? I'm interested in buying one since I can afford it now.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A number of years ago Trek produced a model series called the STP, which stood for soft tail pro. The frame looked just like a standard carbon hardtail frame, but had a small SID shock behind the seat post that gave the bike about one inch of travel. This bike has not been produced for a number of years. If you were to find a used one, I would resist the urge to purchase it as the rear shocks that were specific to this frame are nearly non-existant, although I am sure you could one somewhere online.

MC Hammer

or he could just buy a 9.8

next best thing and I just happen to have one for sale

But seriously, I had an STP as well, great bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New question here.

I like the soft tail idea. Can someone please sell me a Trek STP for a good price? (medium frame please)

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Quote Originally Posted by dejacky
    I like the soft tail idea. Can someone please sell me a Trek STP for a good price? (medium frame please)
    LOL just checked ebay and there is 1 hit. and its in your size http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-STP-300-sof...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That seller is trying to sell his trek stp for too much money

I Have Gnarly Potential
    That seller is trying to sell his trek stp for too much money
    :/ there is 1 bid alwready with 3 days left, it cantbe Too far off the mark

mtbr member
    well he makes no mention of what year the component group is from, but for an xtr rear with xt mix, i'd say that's not far off...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    well he makes no mention of what year the component group is from, but for an xtr rear with xt mix, i'd say that's not far off...
    It's an old bike with old components imho..he's asking too much, that is why his reserve wasn't meant the first time. This ebay auction is a re-listing..hell I might as well save some more money and get an Iron Horse MKIII .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    save some more money and get an Iron Horse MKIII .
    Wow, It sounds like you might want to think some more about what type of bike you really want. I wouldn't think the Trek and the Iron Horse were the least bit comparable. The Trek would be a lightweight race bike with a little give and the IH is a heavy (duty) all-mountain style bike. Not knocking one or the other, but you might want to ask yourself what type of riding you plan to do. Another alternative to the Trek would be a hardtail with a Thudbuster post upgrade. You should be able to pick up a hardtail for a good price these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Whatever bike I get, I want it to use a rear internally geared hub, like the shimano Nexus. I can't find any iron horse mkIII for $1,000 though .

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've heard of people putting a Speedhub on a single speed, but I'm pretty sure the internally geared hubs aren't really rated for off-road use, especially the type of use that an Iron Horse MKIII is intended for. The spikes in force that a drive train sees off road would exceed what the internal gears can typically handle. That's part of the reason that road bikers almost never broke 9 speed chains, but MTB'rs do it often. Luckily roadies have moved to 10-speed, so they too can brake chains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Good job!

Shimano Nexus now has a mountain bike worthy version of the Nexus..so i'm not worried about durability ...someone just find me a good deal on a 2005+ iron horse mkIII so i can ride and stay healthy for the rest of my life!

mtbr member

Hmmm....

Shimano Nexus now has a mountain bike worthy version of the Nexus..so i'm not worried about durability ...someone just find me a good deal on a 2005+ iron horse mkIII so i can ride and stay healthy for the rest of my life!
    The only reason it is mountain bike "worthy" is because it is geared very low. Not becuase you can beat it to H3LL under an MKIII. It wont last.

mtbr member
    yeah i know its getting off topic here, but if you're planning on doing any amount of decent mountain biking, a getting a nexus would be akin to throwing money away...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    yeah i know its getting off topic here, but if you're planning on doing any amount of decent mountain biking, a getting a nexus would be akin to throwing money away...
    You think the Nexus red band or whatever it's called that is claimed for being designed for off-road / mountain bike riding is a waste? if so, i'd probably settle for something like the Rohloff speedhub.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Here ya go, a very current thread in the drivetrain section still talking about that exact hub: Shimano Nexus 8 "Red Band" gearhub: review thread (I diddnt acually read it though :P)