DaBomb Molotov rider

Trek Bruiser 2 - comments?

The Trek Bruiser 2 seems not very well known - anyone familiar with it? To my knowledge it wasn't available in 2004, and a new model is coming out in 2005,
    See 2005 specs here: http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/...n/bruiser2.jsp
    It comes with a MZ Comp 130mm fork, mechanical disc brakes, bash guard, and seems geared towards urban. The fork sounds pretty good - how much could that handle?
    I used to ride only XC, but am looking to get a new bike that I can do both urban/dirt jumping/FR, and still hit some XC trails occasionally as well. I'm 170lb, 6'2", and not expecting to do more than 4 or 5ft drops onto flat pavement. Would the Bruiser 2 fit my needs? I'm not that familiar with the fork, and perhaps that is the key question. If anyone has the scoop on this bike or any experience with it, I would love to hear for you!

DaBomb Molotov rider

Trek Bruiser 2 vs Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc

Quote Originally Posted by londonlad
    The Trek Bruiser 2 seems not very well known - anyone familiar with it? To my knowledge it wasn't available in 2004, and a new model is coming out in 2005,
    See 2005 specs here: http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/...n/bruiser2.jsp
    It comes with a MZ Comp 130mm fork, mechanical disc brakes, bash guard, and seems geared towards urban. The fork sounds pretty good - how much could that handle?
    I used to ride only XC, but am looking to get a new bike that I can do both urban/dirt jumping/FR, and still hit some XC trails occasionally as well. I'm 170lb, 6'2", and not expecting to do more than 4 or 5ft drops onto flat pavement. Would the Bruiser 2 fit my needs? I'm not that familiar with the fork, and perhaps that is the key question. If anyone has the scoop on this bike or any experience with it, I would love to hear for you!
    I've been doing a bit more research, and the Bruiser 2 seems somewhat comparable to the Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk. The Bruiser 2 seems more heavy and more geared towards urban/DJ riding than the Hardrock Pro Disk, but is in the same price range. I think my choice is going to have to depend on what kind of riding I expect to do most of. Both look like nice bikes though! What would the Bruiser 2 be like on trails and freeriding?

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/...n/bruiser2.jsp

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...70qbvsf.j27002
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sofa King We Todd Did
    That Trek Bruiser's drivetrain is rubbish, I'm afraid. Alivio and Acera parts have nothing on the Deore bits and bobs on that Specialized.

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    That Trek Bruiser's drivetrain is rubbish, I'm afraid. Alivio and Acera parts have nothing on the Deore bits and bobs on that Specialized.
    Good point, you are right. What about if the dealer is willing to upgrade the front/rear derailleurs and shifters to Deore for the same price? Notice that the Specialized HardRock Pro Disc doesn't have a bash guard, so I'm going to have to upgrade that too. Right now I'm getting the same price for both, with those upgrades, so that makes them fairly comparable. Or is one still clearly superior to the other?

Sofa King We Todd Did
    You're looking at two chainrings for the Trek and three for the Specialized - that's another key difference. Give both a ride and get the one that you feel better on. Hard to describe what 'better' feels like, but you'll know when you feel it. That was the advice I took when I bought my first bike 6 months ago.

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    You're looking at two chainrings for the Trek and three for the Specialized - that's another key difference. Give both a ride and get the one that you feel better on. Hard to describe what 'better' feels like, but you'll know when you feel it. That was the advice I took when I bought my first bike 6 months ago.
    Yes, ideally I'd like to try riding both. But the 2005 models of the Specialized Hardrock Pro will probably only be here locally in February, so I can't try it until then. Ideally I'd like to place an order now...

Team Xtreeme MT Biking
    Apr 2004
    No, the 2005's should be there. Trak has some of it's bikes already out, but no the Liquids, Ex's and Fuels yet.

JM

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    THis rockhopper pro has changed a ton since the 2004. The 2004 was mostly xc this year it seems way more urbanish: http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...1gnhaj4.j27008

DaBomb Molotov rider

2005 Rockhopper Pro Disk

Quote Originally Posted by haromtnbiker
    THis rockhopper pro has changed a ton since the 2004. The 2004 was mostly xc this year it seems way more urbanish: http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...1gnhaj4.j27008
    Yes, someone who works for Specialized told me the same thing. He was very excited about the 2005 Rockhopper Pro Disk, and said it would be great for people who like doing street and urban. The 2004 model is not an option for people who like riding street/urban/DJ, but the 2005 model definitely is! Unfortunately it's a bit beyond my $1000 budget (MSRP is Cdn$1199).

DaBomb Molotov rider

DaBomb Molotov

Instead of the Bruiser 2, I ended up getting a dual slalom bike at the Toronto Fall Bike Show for a good deal. It's a custom DaBomb Molotov, and has decent components: RockShox Psylo XC U-Turn fork adjustable from 80-125mm for different conditions, eyeletted Rhyno Lite rims, Kenda Kinetic tires, 6" mechanical disc brakes, Deore drivetrain, FSA AlphaDrive crank with Blackspire RingGod bashguard, VP-550 Alloy BMX style platform pedals, SDG Freestyle seat, FSA "The Pig" Headset, Pazzaz handlebars, OURY Mountain Bike Grips, plus a lovely lightning paint job! The picture below is unfortunately somewhat dull because of the dark weather, and doesn't do the bike justice.

It's a Dual Slalom style bike, 16" frame, 33lb total weight, and seems perfect for light free riding, urban, dirt jumping, and street riding - exactly the versatility I was after. And the short wheel-base and small frame is great for some trials type moves, popping up the front wheel, moving the bike around in the air, and doing other tricks. This style of bike seems great for all kinds of riding, wouldn't you say?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i am considering buying a 2002 bruiser 2 frame and am wondering if any mtbr riders could chime in about the frames quality..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
    i am considering buying a 2002 bruiser 2 frame and am wondering if any mtbr riders could chime in about the frames quality..
    I had both the One and the Two, both size 14.5" (frame only) - that I built up to hone my skills and balance; and to generally have fun on.

Other than different paint and decals, there was no discernable difference between the frames.

The Bruisers are understated, but built ultra strong with the massive rectangular box section down tube reinforced by a welded gusset under the head tube contributing to much of the strength.

The top tube and seat tube were conventional round cross-sectional tubing.

Nearly all of the other Treks models (6000 series, 8000 series etc) have wishbone seat stays, and bridged chainstays, but on the Bruisers, this design is flipped upside down so that the wishbone is on the chainstay.

The welding was neatly beaded and, on the most part, quite uniform.

1.1/8 headset
    29.2mm seatpost
    26x2.30 max tyre size (a 2.35 tyre will rub on the chainstay)
    73mm BB shell

Built up, the Bruisers are easy to manual/wheelie, pedal kick hop and drop, but are less flickable than a bmx. Front wheel hops are almost impossible if you run 130mm+ suspension forks.

Bruisers make good dirt jumpers too. And, 5ft drops onto flat concrete were no problem at all. The frames stood up well to the abuse. The cranks were bent and there were lots of scratches and grazes, but no signs of cracks or metal fatigue in the frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thank you

thats exactly the review i was looking for... i just have to find a frame now.. i missed out the ebay bid.. it sold for $120...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    well i ended up buying this... i picked it up for $150.. cant beat that... looks like its fresh from the showroom..
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...5307&Type=bike

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    nice work reviving a 4 year old thread..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    aww did i offend you?