mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Trek Alpha SLR frame versus GF ZR9000+Carbon frame

Hi folks,

Principally i'm looking to replace my old old and relatively heavy hardtail frame with something lighter. The principle use of this frame is going to be road use ( cause i'm doing a this in the summer http://bealach-na-ba.co.uk ) and then move it on to light XC. Its going to be fitted with a Pace RC31 rigid front fork and all the stuff off the existing bike ( mainly XT ).

With this in mind, i can currently get a good deal on the 2005 Fisher Big Sur frame which is the ZR9000 + carbon stays. Does anyone have experience of this frame and how the carbon stays feel? Are they stiffer or more compliant than alu stays?

Another alternative, is to go for something like the Trek 6500 V-brake bike which comes with the Alpha SLR frame in a georgeous colour and then i can swap all the bits and end up with a light bike that way too.

I dont really fancy the Trek 8000 frame alone - plain silver I would always be bored with. . . i tend to like fairly deep colour frames with a nice lustre to them.

Would the GF frame be signifcantly better? Any thoughts?

What It Be ?
    I have a 2004 8500 Frame. Its the black and grey one. I will tell you the ZR9000s is stiff and responsive and light. I had a frame replacement thought Trek and got hooked up with this frame. Just my .02$