mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Trek Alpha Alum VS zr9000

Hi everyone,

How much better is the zr9000 compared to the alpha alum. The price difference at my LBS between the trek6700 and the trek8000 is about $350 bones.

Is it worth the upgrade? I more interested in the frame than in the components.

I've also heard that the zr9000 makes for a rougher ride.

What do you think?

Mud

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsMud
    Hi everyone,

How much better is the zr9000 compared to the alpha alum. The price difference at my LBS between the trek6700 and the trek8000 is about $350 bones.

Is it worth the upgrade? I more interested in the frame than in the components.

I've also heard that the zr9000 makes for a rougher ride.

What do you think?

Mud
    I have no experience with the zr9000 frames but I always hear about how great they are. I went with the 6700 for the price point, and I have had alot of experience with Treks alpha frames and I really like them. I can tell ya firsthand that the 6700 is a great bike. Try one out and see how ya like it. If you can afford it though I'd go for the 8000 with the zr frame. I would have went for that one too but I plan on buying a fs bike later this year and I know that one is gonna break the bank.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

What It Be ?
    I have a 04 8500 frame and its light, it seems to be stiffer than my old 6500 which was alpha aluminum.