Baby Bear is in the house

Trek ABP/DRCV vs Spec FSR - which is more efficient?

All else being equal (type of bike/amount of travel and wheel size; same shock settings, e.g., both in Trail or Descend mode), which would be considered the more efficient pedaller/better climber?

E.g., between a 130-mm travel Fuel EX and a 140-mm travel Stumpjumper FSR with rear shocks both in Descend/fully open, which would pedal more efficiently (i.e., less wallow/bob).

'appreciate inputs from those who have ridden both.

TIA
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There's no way to adequately answer that question. It will depend on the chainring sizes you are running, your weight, weight distribution on the bike, shock pressures, your pedalling style, how you 'define' wallow/bob, etc. Usually when someone extols the virtues of a highly "efficient" bike to me and then I ride it, my impression is that it has severely compromised climbing traction because the suspension is not active enough -- different strokes.

Both of the bikes have a different character and to figure out which is going to appeal to you -- you really just have to go ride them both. Or, buy the one that comes with sexier paint.

FWIW, I prefer the Trek. The DRCV rear shock does a great job letting the suspension be very active on the small bumps and still swallow the big hits. In terms of perceived "efficiency" I don't think they are far apart.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I ride both, and prefer Trek's modified single pivot, with ABP. The ABP/DRCV feels plush, almost bottomless, while the FSR with Brain has great big hit compliance - but can also feel nervous and lacking of a lively ride(until the bump). Maintenance-wise, the Specialized will likely spend more time in the shop. Yes, both are quite different - but the Trek system agrees with my riding style more.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Thanks for the inputs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A bit like a DW Link bike, the ABP/DRCV system needs less compression damping than the FSR for a given level of pedaling efficiency (IMO).

So on bumpy trails, the ABP system just seems to flow unimpeded over rocks and roots, while the FSR system "hangs" just a tiny bit.

Conversely, on smooth trails, again IMO, the FSR system typically feels a bit snappier and livelier than the ABP/DCRV system

One thing I know for sure is that we have no shortage of acronyms. Sheesh!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    A bit like a DW Link bike, the ABP/DRCV system needs less compression damping than the FSR for a given level of pedaling efficiency (IMO).

So on bumpy trails, the ABP system just seems to flow unimpeded over rocks and roots, while the FSR system "hangs" just a tiny bit.

Conversely, on smooth trails, again IMO, the FSR system typically feels a bit snappier and livelier than the ABP/DCRV system
    Thanks for that mate.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    One thing I know for sure is that we have no shortage of acronyms. Sheesh!
    Haha! True