The turtle won the race!

Cool-blue Rhythm trek 990 and.... disc brakes?

I have a full ridged 1995-1996 Trek 990. I was wandering if there were any conventional ways of using disc brakes with this frame and fork. In my opinion this bike rocks, except for stopping power. (There is none). It now has the original XT cantis that are fine for slowing down but God help me if I need to stop! Any suggestions would be helpful ....Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The front end should be fairly simple as you can simply install a different fork on the bike. Only catch would be if you have a 1" steerer - that would make it difficult to find one as 99.99% of ATB forks are 1-1/8".
    For the back end, you'd have to get ahold of a brake therapy system (google it). I believe you also need to modify a hub to use said system (I've never used one so don't know much about it-perhaps one with experience can chime in).
    Unless you know a [good] frame builder and are willing to forgo your warranty - they could weld in a disc dropout for you

The turtle won the race!
    Steerer is 1-1/8" no problem there, and i was thinking of upgrading to an 80mm or 100mm fork sometime soon anyway. And i here 70% of your stopping power is on the front so maybe a good v brake on the rear will be cheaper and just what the doctor ordered . Thanks Zigg....................
    [SIZE="1"]Lock stock and barrel baby! hook line and sinker, your freedom is your master, your liberty self labor....[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2007

V brake on rear with brake booster

I used to own a 970 from that era which used the same sweet frame as you've got (kicking myself I sold it really). I switched to V brakes on it in '98, but the seat stays flexed so much it was scary - bought a brake boooster (a U-shaped aluminium bit that connects the brakes - you can pick them up in ebay for next to nothing now) and it improved things a lot.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Stopping Power

A well set up pair of cantilevers stops better than a set of v-brakes.
    Cantis also stop just as well as discs....actually all bicycle brakes provide more stopping power than you'll ever need to stop.

That said you can get a Brake Therapy or similar adapter and a newer fork up front.

The total cost of the upgrade will probably be more than what you paid for the 990 though since you'll need new wheels in addition to the fork, brakes, and rear adapter. Total outlay with some careful shopping will be in the $500 range.