mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Trek 8500 vs Klein Attitude XV

Looking to buy a new bike around the 1500 mark
    (I'd rather have a good hardtail as opposed to a mediocre full sus)

have whittled the choice down to between Trek 8500 and Klein Attitude XV

they spec pretty similar, only difference seems to be forks/frame/brakes

which is best ?

which is lighter ?

many thx

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I was looking at both also, I decided on the Klein.

You need to go ride both and see which one you prefer.

BODYSNATCHER
    I like 'em both...and am considering the Palamino XV, but am fearful of supposed derailer problems...does the Attitude have these issues? I need a bike that hack a 210 lb. guy like me...
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

mtbr member
    May 2004

Idea!

The Palomino is a full -suspension bike ...hence the problem.

The Attitude is a hardtail.

You mean to tell me your considering buying one of these and you don't know that?

No offense, but maybe you should do a little more research into your decision.

BODYSNATCHER

Upset

Sorry, no offense taken. I did know that. I have researched it extensively, but my point was, do the Attitudes have the derailer/chain drag issues like the Palamino, or is it just the FS that has it. I'm already having second thoughts anyway after reading the threads here on Klein. My main concern is durability,and climbing. I know the hardtail is better suited for me, but I'm not willing to give up a better ride on the downhill. Plus, I changed screen names and avatars, so the truth is , I posted just to see.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No, the Attitude does not have that prob.

I have a 04 Attitude and very happy with my choice .

Good Luck with yours.

Check this out...............http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...in_palomino_xv

BODYSNATCHER
    Quote Originally Posted by jkittlesen
    No, the Attitude does not have that prob.

I have a 04 Attitude and very happy with my choice .

Good Luck with yours.

Check this out...............http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...in_palomino_xv
    This is one review I missed, and I want to thank you. Now I'm back in the Klein camp, but none of my LBS 's have one that I can ride. They all want to sell me the XX, but it's overkill for the kind of riding I do. Thanks again for the link, I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Palomino's sensitive front der issue will be purely because of the rear suspension setup (monolink system) - not a general Klein issue at all. The two bikes have a completely different setup at the back!!! For the manufacturors, you'd have to be doing something very wrong to get the design/spec of a hardtail wrong when it comes to shifting. The attitude's definitely got no problems in this area.

I've never ridden a Palomino, but have an interest in Klein as I ride an 03 Attitude Comp, so this is just what I have read...but if you're a big guy, you might want to consider a different bike to the Palomino. A lot of the bushing wear problems (meant to be much better on 04 bikes) seem to be exacerbated for heavier riders.

As for what bike is right for you...there's a massive difference between a hardtail and full susser. If you're a dyed in the wool mountain biker who rides every week and will continue to do so for the forseeable future a FS would be a good investment. However, FS are best used purely for mountainbiking as wearing out all of those expensive pivots and shocks just through road riding is a waste of functionality - if you need a bike for occasional trail use plus commuting etc, I'd go for a hardtail. Thats my 2c anyway.

If you go for a hardtail, you can make it more downhill friendly by picking big tyres, long fork and choose a frame with some give in the seatstays - a steel frame would be a good choice. The Klein Attitude is super fast but can be a bit sketchy on the downhills. How about something like a Cove steel frame (stiffee/handjob?) - it can take a long fork and is designed as a hardriding hardtail.

BODYSNATCHER
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingsta
    The Palomino's sensitive front der issue will be purely because of the rear suspension setup (monolink system) - not a general Klein issue at all. The two bikes have a completely different setup at the back!!! For the manufacturors, you'd have to be doing something very wrong to get the design/spec of a hardtail wrong when it comes to shifting. The attitude's definitely got no problems in this area.

I've never ridden a Palomino, but have an interest in Klein as I ride an 03 Attitude Comp, so this is just what I have read...but if you're a big guy, you might want to consider a different bike to the Palomino. A lot of the bushing wear problems (meant to be much better on 04 bikes) seem to be exacerbated for heavier riders.

As for what bike is right for you...there's a massive difference between a hardtail and full susser. If you're a dyed in the wool mountain biker who rides every week and will continue to do so for the forseeable future a FS would be a good investment. However, FS are best used purely for mountainbiking as wearing out all of those expensive pivots and shocks just through road riding is a waste of functionality - if you need a bike for occasional trail use plus commuting etc, I'd go for a hardtail. Thats my 2c anyway.

If you go for a hardtail, you can make it more downhill friendly by picking big tyres, long fork and choose a frame with some give in the seatstays - a steel frame would be a good choice. The Klein Attitude is super fast but can be a bit sketchy on the downhills. How about something like a Cove steel frame (stiffee/handjob?) - it can take a long fork and is designed as a hardriding hardtail.
    Exactly. I ride every day, and do epics ( for me, anyway -...) of 20-30 miles offroad/fire roads etc on Saturday or Sunday, so comfort is an issue. I have a full sus right now, and I just want something better, as I've outgrown it. So I bought a Turner Burner frame on sale, but now have buyer's remorse. My first choice was the Palamino, but I rode an Attitude at the LBS and REALLY liked it, the feel, the smooth shifting, the stability, etc. But as I couldn't go offroad, I'm not sure I want something non plush for the downhills. I only ride assfault to get to the dirt, so it's looking like a FS rig. I'm 205/5'10", and not big in an obese way, but not a road jockey by any means. Thanx for the input, but the problem is twofold:
    1) No shop has the Palamino XV in my area, and I don't want the XX.
    2) An Attitude is not going to be pleasant hucking down singletrack/rocky roads at high rates of speed.
    I guess I'll just build my Burner and enjoy it.
    but..........I really like that Palamino........
    I'm sure once I ride the Turner I'll be stoked. Plus, I can afford it and the Klein is a cool $1000.00 more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    Exactly. I ride every day, and do epics ( for me, anyway -...) of 20-30 miles offroad/fire roads etc on Saturday or Sunday, so comfort is an issue. I have a full sus right now, and I just want something better, as I've outgrown it. So I bought a Turner Burner frame on sale, but now have buyer's remorse. My first choice was the Palamino, but I rode an Attitude at the LBS and REALLY liked it, the feel, the smooth shifting, the stability, etc. But as I couldn't go offroad, I'm not sure I want something non plush for the downhills. I only ride assfault to get to the dirt, so it's looking like a FS rig. I'm 205/5'10", and not big in an obese way, but not a road jockey by any means. Thanx for the input, but the problem is twofold:
    1) No shop has the Palamino XV in my area, and I don't want the XX.
    2) An Attitude is not going to be pleasant hucking down singletrack/rocky roads at high rates of speed.
    I guess I'll just build my Burner and enjoy it.
    but..........I really like that Palamino........
    I'm sure once I ride the Turner I'll be stoked. Plus, I can afford it and the Klein is a cool $1000.00 more.
    Not trying to bankrupt you, but try and go for both. Keep the turner burner for the 'proper' mountain biking days and get the Klein hardtail for lighter stuff.

I started off with a Klein hardtail, loved it but realised that I was riding it 70% of the time on roads. So I fitted bar ends (for stretch), carbon rigid forks and slick tyres to make it better for road riding and bought an 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro (from frame with own spec) for trail riding. I now have 2 fantastic bikes, each perfect for their job rather than having to make do with 1 compromised bike.

Anyway, have fun!