mtbr member
    May 2005

Trek 8500 vs. Klein Attitude XV

I'm in the market for a new hardtail. I'm 6'1 and weigh 2005. I'm looking for an all purpose XC trail bike. No LBS carries either of the models I'm interested in so thought I get a few opinions here. My buddy rides a 19.5" '05 8500 and we're about the same height, I'm probably about 30lbs heavier. I've ridden his a few short times and it felt pretty good.

Is there a major difference in the framesize between the Trek Large and Klein large in these models? According to the geometry specs on their respective websites it looks as though the Klein has a 3" shorter wheelbase. I have long arms and like to stretch out so this could be an issue for me. Tube Angle and Seat Angle are pretty similar between the two. I'm not used to reading the technical specs so I may be off on this.

Also, I haven't had a chance to try an XL in either frame, would it be too big for me? The Klein site rates their XL as fit for riders between 6'1 - 6'6. Thanks for the insights. Ultimately I will have to make road trip to find a shop that carries these models, or I may just order the 8500 since I've ridden it and liked it.

Foreign Entity
    The XL would definitely be too big, I'm 6'1" myself and am riding a custom specced 8500 in a 19.5 which I find perfect.
    I tried a Giant XTC which is around 2" shorter in wheelbase than the Trek and found it to be cramped and uncomfortable, so I am glad for the extra length of the Trek.

I would definitely recommend the 8500 as a great bike.