Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

Trek 8000 Hayes 22mm Mount to IS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model Year 2000 Trek 8000

Hey, did a search and none of the posts came to a conclusion so I will ask the question...

Is there any good way to get today's modern Disc brakes (IS mount) onto an old hayes mount on the chainstay? I have the a2z red adaptor that will give you an IS mounting for 185 mm rotors, but it doesnt quite clear the seatstay. I've also heard the other a2z frame adaptor (the machined plate that bolts to the dropout) won't work on the trek 8000 because the dropout is not flat, but has a ridge cast into it.

So is it time to banish the frame to back-up hell? I really want discs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    To my knowledge, Hayes makes an adaptor to go from a 22mmDM caliper to IS but not the other way around. I think Hayes might still have 22mmDM calipers available. If not, PM me and we can work out a deal on a 22mm mount half. This will mate with any G1 caliper, and I think with a G2 as well. I also have the 22mm to IS adaptor--Mantra was replaced with Palomino.

Richard

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rburke
    To my knowledge, Hayes makes an adaptor to go from a 22mmDM caliper to IS but not the other way around. I think Hayes might still have 22mmDM calipers available. If not, PM me and we can work out a deal on a 22mm mount half. This will mate with any G1 caliper, and I think with a G2 as well. I also have the 22mm to IS adaptor--Mantra was replaced with Palomino.

Richard
    Yes I'm interested, PM me. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

rburke is correct, nobody makes an adaptor....

to mount IS brakes on the old Trek chain stay type mount. I know I looked for a long time trying to find one for my 00 7000. NO GO! You either have to find the a set of older 22mm Hayes direct mounts or, if it's possible, as rburke says you could find a trashed set and salvage the outer half and install it on a G1 or G2 inner half. I haven't seen any Hayes rear DM's in a long time. I don't know if Hayes still offers them or not. You could give em a call and find out.

In any case, good luck with your search, I never did find a set for my ride.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I have an 01 Klein Attitude and I am planning to just go disc in the front and leave the rear with v-brakes for the same issue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hayes does still make the 22 mm calipers for the older frames. Contact them for more information, but I know they do make them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Older Thread, but I just did the same and it works perfect, if you use star lock washers.
    I copied this post out of another Thread, so it's a little Klein-specific, but it works on a Trek or Fisher just as well I assume:

Here's what you need:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/A2Z-Rear-Disc-Br...QQcmdZViewItem

If you use a Standard IS rear brake Caliper you need to run 180 discs.
    What you can do is, you buy a Marta or Louise and order a front caliper with a rear right hand brake lever, offered from Magura as the Moto-style set, with that you can run 160 rear and front.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDe...DBRA%2D0721664

If you mount the adapter, make sure you use a star washer, or otherwise it will become a pain in the ass, so use 2 star washers between the frame and the adapter.
    Further you can run the rear brake cable through the top tube, no need to drill holes, just pull out the sleeves out of the tube and if you want to go back to v-brakes you just push them back in.

Here are a couple Pics, cause I just did it with my bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Btw when you say star washer, which ones do you mean?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang
    Thanks for the info. Btw when you say star washer, which ones do you mean?
    If you look close in the third Pic from the bottom you can see them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbook
    If you look close in the third Pic from the bottom you can see them.

Where can I pick them up? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang
    Where can I pick them up? Thanks.

Any Hardware Store, ACE, Home Depot, Lowes......

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    yeah i ended up using that a2z adaptor for a shimano deore 555 brake, like the one you hanve on your Klein it's direct IS mount, no adaptor. I tired to put a post-mount brake+adaptor brake back there and the adaptor hits the seat stay and will not mount.

so...if you are going to do this then make sure the caliper will fit.

also, looks like your rotors are the same size, what are they/ i had to use a 185mm rotor in back, and i stuck with a 160mm in front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jvp108
    yeah i ended up using that a2z adaptor for a shimano deore 555 brake, like the one you hanve on your Klein it's direct IS mount, no adaptor. I tired to put a post-mount brake+adaptor brake back there and the adaptor hits the seat stay and will not mount.

so...if you are going to do this then make sure the caliper will fit.

also, looks like your rotors are the same size, what are they/ i had to use a 185mm rotor in back, and i stuck with a 160mm in front.
    Yeah, as I said above, they're both 160, the rear caliper is for a IS Front Brake, but I ordered it with a right hand brake lever (Moto-style...link is above).
    If you order a simple rear brake caliper and you're using the adapter you have to use a 180 disc and that's what I didn't want.
    Thanks to another guy from germany, I know about this moto-style trick.

mtbr member
    yellowbook, btw what is that black plastic thing that is holding the brake cable, and how is it attached? Where can I pick that up? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Eureka!

I want to do exactly this on my 2000 model Trek 8000. Well, sort of... I want to keep my integrated XTR brake pulls -- can I use that with a mechanical 'front' caliper attached in the rear via the adapter?

Thanks in advance,
    ~ Fred

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Trek 8000 (2002) Disk Caliper mount Adaptor

I spent ages looking for this so thought it might be of interest for your Trek(kies) out there.

Trek do an adaptor (to IS mount) if you have what they call a Disc-O tab.
    I don't have a pic of my frame handy but if you look at the adaptor I think it will be clear if it will fit or not. My Trek (8000 2002) has a 'recessed' tab for the disc mount - note the smaller hole a third down from the top frame mounting hole which is the givaway.

Here is a pic of the adaptor:http://www.evanscycles.com/product_images/B911.jpg
    (if the url changes the link to the pic is from http://www.evanscycles.com under brakes accessories)

It costs 9.99 from Evans and is easily available.

regards

Chris.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Not for the same frames...

Quote Originally Posted by hardtailman
    I spent ages looking for this so thought it might be of interest for your Trek(kies) out there.

Trek do an adaptor (to IS mount) if you have what they call a Disc-O tab.
    I don't have a pic of my frame handy but if you look at the adaptor I think it will be clear if it will fit or not. My Trek (8000 2002) has a 'recessed' tab for the disc mount - note the smaller hole a third down from the top frame mounting hole which is the givaway.

Here is a pic of the adaptor:http://www.evanscycles.com/product_images/B911.jpg
    (if the url changes the link to the pic is from http://www.evanscycles.com under brakes accessories)

It costs 9.99 from Evans and is easily available.

regards

Chris.
    This adaptor is for the newer Trek/Klein/Fisher frames that do not have a disc mount cast into the dropout. This adaptor bolts on to the left side dropout giving you 51mm IS mounts for just about any disc brake on the market.

The bikes pictures above have a 22mm Hayes mount on the left chainstay and were designed to be used with a specific Hayes caliper. This is a solution to a different problem than the thread asks about.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I know it's an old thread, but does this work? Two front brakes to run 160 on the rear of an older Trek with the chainstay Hayes mount and the adapter?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jhovak
    I know it's an old thread, but does this work? Two front brakes to run 160 on the rear of an older Trek with the chainstay Hayes mount and the adapter?
    Yes, this works. It's a shame the pictures have gone as that's what I used to fit magura brakes to my Trek frame which has the same Hayes 22mm chainstay mount. Follow the instructions above precisely and it works.

Pete

Feeling a little taller
    I recently came across this: http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=QBR3958

And this: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Bik...R%20%23HBRMH42

To try to bring a Hannebrink fork I have back to life.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    I recently came across this: http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=QBR3958

And this: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Bik...R%20%23HBRMH42

To try to bring a Hannebrink fork I have back to life.
    Do we have any idea if this works on late 90s trek 8000 series bikes? I have been looking for a solution for quite some time.
    '94 Trek 830 XT/LX/Gripshift/SRAM (Commuter)
    '98/2000 Trek 8300/8500 XTR/XT/LX/SRAM (XC Rig)

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfod
    Do we have any idea if this works on late 90s trek 8000 series bikes? I have been looking for a solution for quite some time.
    Is the mount on the chain stay or the seat stay? I got one of the A2Z units off of eBay. Also available here: http://www.jerseycycles.com/Product-...ZProducts.html

I used it on a Hannebrink fork that has the Hayes 22mm mount to mate it with a Magura Julie and a 185mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Mine is on the chainstay
    '94 Trek 830 XT/LX/Gripshift/SRAM (Commuter)
    '98/2000 Trek 8300/8500 XTR/XT/LX/SRAM (XC Rig)

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfod
    Mine is on the chainstay
    I'd say that most of the question is whether there will be enough clearance between the chainstay and the seat stay for the adapter and caliper. It will likely work and may be worth the $27 investment in the adapter if you've already got a caliper around. Worst case scenario, you re-sell the adapter on eBay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast