Thread: Trek 8000

mtbr member
    May 2006

Trek 8000

I have been looking for a decent cheap hardtail to use as a loaner/ whatever bike.

So I came across an ad for a Trek 8000 his price was 100 dollars. The guy is right down the street from me and I decided to check it out. It looked like a early 90's package white frame whith splattered paint and blue decals. He had DX components and a Rock Shox Magnesium fork. No major damage I reallly didnt even notice too much wear. He was offering two sets of complete wheels 1 w/ road tires 1 w/ dirt.

Although it seemed like a decent shape bike I passed because I thought if I wanted to update it I should just buy a newer bike.

So my question is this. Is there anything special about this early Trek? Is this a frame worth the updates?

sliprock

yes, its worth it

First make sure its the right size for ya. What are you thinking about upgrading to? As it is now its a serviceable XC bike from what you discribed. But your choices of new forks, brakes, as well as shifters are limited . Good luck

(EDIT) I just remeber you asked if there was anything special about this bike,It's prehaps like you said early 90's MTB, if I could guess a 94 version because my 95' 8000 was the first year they went to soild color for the 8000. It was a step below the 8500. The 8500 has always been the racer ready hardtail(aluminum) in the Trek line up, and they have almost always shared the frame with the 8000. So what you got with the 8000, is cheaper stuff like DX,and a few XT items.
    Last edited by atalon; 06-14-2006 at 10:00 PM.