Thread: Trek 800

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Trek 800

Hey, I have been a member since 2009 but this may be my first post. I love to ride and I have been through several bikes in the last few years. I sold my bikes a few years ago and now that my daughter is riding I have gotten the itch again. So I found a Trek 800 maybe one of the last models made and picked it up for $50. This bike looks brand new and had a busted rear hub. The wheels and tires look brand new also. I can only think that the prior owner trashed the rear hub and then stuck it in his garage for 12 years. I had an old rear 26 inch wheel that I swapped out and got the bike on the road again. I couldnt pass up the price so I now have about $250 to use but here is my problem. Should I use the money to upgrade to an aluminum fork and headset, seat and maybe some other wheels (thats a whole other question). Or should I flip the Trek and add that to the $250 and buy another used bike. I believe I could flip the Trek for $100 maybe more.
    One idea I like is doing some things to this bike that make it my own even though the frame is heavy it will only be used for road use. I took the bike for a ride with my daughter in the park and loved riding it so I have to sell it and to be honest I'm not seeing a lot of great craigslist ads.
    Any thoughts on the Trek 800?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's a chromoly frame with a chromoly fork, steel parts all around. Upgrading to an aluminum fork/parts or even a carbon fork won't gain you much. A new inexpensive wheelset might be ok, but not necessary if your existing one works. Personally (assuming if fits you and everything works ok), I'd clean it up and ride it until something I really want comes along. Maybe put on new grips and seat because you don't know where the other person's been. Maybe new brake pads and cables for safety sake.

Wheels:
    I'll assume it's a 7-speed trigger shifter with an older freewheel design. If so, an newer 8-speed cassette will work on it, because the selector has identical indexing, just not as many gears. You just won't be able shift into one of the gears on the cassette. You'll have to decide which one you don't want by adjusting the derailure stops.

For a cheap replacement of the rear wheel, there's this with the 8-speed freehub:
    Dimension w/ Alex X2000 26" MTB Wheels > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

For road use, I'd think these wheels would be about as cheap as you can get for a good front & rear wheel set. I've seen them down at $80 or with free shipping.
    Vuelta Zerolite Mountain Wheelset - Limited Edition - Mountain Bike Wheels / Wheelsets