Thread: Trek 8.3 DS

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Trek 8.3 DS

I bought the Trek 8.3 DS back in March 2012. Long story short I had the remote lockout fork that is on the Trek 8.5 DS put on my 8.3 DS. I noticed that when I ride the bike with the remote fork on lockout for a long duration the fork slowly compresses as I'm riding so when I stop and unlock the fork it "springs" back up. Also, the remote fork does not totally 100% lock out as there is about 1/4" "give" to it (when I press down it bounces). Are the two things I mentioned normal for the remote lockout fork, or is there something wrong with the fork?

The original 8.3 DS mechanical lockout fork (that comes with the 8.3) seems to 100% lockout and has no "give" to it when I press down on it. And it does not seem to compress as I ride it on lockout. So I was thinking of going back to the mechanical lockout fork that comes with the 8.3 DS because I want the fork to be rigid when I ride it on the pavement.

If you can answer my questions and give me any additional information/advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bought the Trek 8.3 DS back in March 2012. Long story short I had the remote lockout fork that is on the Trek 8.5 DS put on my 8.3 DS. I noticed that when I ride the bike with the remote fork on lockout for a long duration the fork slowly compresses as I'm riding so when I stop and unlock the fork it "springs" back up. Also, the remote fork does not totally 100% lock out as there is about 1/4" "give" to it (when I press down it bounces). Are the two things I mentioned normal for the remote lockout fork, or is there something wrong with the fork?

The original 8.3 DS mechanical lockout fork (that comes with the 8.3) seems to 100% lockout and has no "give" to it when I press down on it. And it does not seem to compress as I ride it on lockout. So I was thinking of going back to the mechanical lockout fork that comes with the 8.3 DS because I want the fork to be rigid when I ride it on the pavement.

If you can answer my questions and give me any additional information/advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!