mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trek 69er Single Speed vs. 69er 3*9

Hi,
    I ride the 69er single speed version (2009) .
    I really like the way this bike handles so I thought of adding the 3*9 version to the stable as my geared bike.
    So I went and took a parking lot test and noticed it ain't really a geared version of my single speed.
    First, the frame looks differant. The welds are smooth and unseen on my single speed while on the 3*9 frame the welds are conventional welds.
    Second, the bike felt differant, a quick look on Trek's website shows that these 2 bike have differant geo's .
    Also these 2 bike are priced very similar ( I think the SS version is even a little more expensive), so I cant help thinking, is the 69er 3*9 frame a cheaper version of the single speed frame? are the 2 frames the same quality ?
    Anyone ride these 2 bikes and can share ride quality experiance ?
    Thanks
    PM

Mac & Jacks African Amber
    I bought the '08 3x9 first, then the '09 SS.

IF, the frame of the 3x9 did not change between '08 & '09, then I offer this review:

The 3x9 is stronger and has more support off the head tube etc...

The SS appears to be "lightened" by trimming a bit of the frame joint "gusset" materials.

I was very impressed with the 08 3x9 frame construction.

21.5" frame for my 6'4"/255 # body works great. Very little lateral flex etc..

I bought a 19.5" frame in the 09 SS. I wanted a bit smaller frame (& associated weight).

So, I say the frame of the 3x9 is actual better. The SS was priced higher due to higher grade components and I belive a precieved "coolness" factor by Trek marketing peeps.

I love 'em both.

I was disappionted to find out that the 69er fuel EX w/ ABP was cancelled for the 2010 offerings or I was going to add this to my "stable". "Collect all three" the voice kept saying.

I hope this helps.
    My Current Rides:
    '09 Trek 69er SS '08 Trek 69er 3x9 HT