mtbr member

Wink Trek 6500 Disc/GF Tas Disc/Specialized RH Comp Disc

Hi.

I am new to mountain biking and now I am considering these 3 models:

Trek 6500 Disc
    GF Tassajara Disc
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

I've got a few questions.

(1) The 6500 has a shorter fork travel 80mm versus 100mm of the other 2. Should I worry about the 20mm difference?

(2) Both Tassa & 6500 has a hydraulic disc brake while the RH has a mechanical one. Is RH's brake equal or better than the ones that the other 2 has in this case?

(3) What is a genesis gemoetry that the GF has? How is it different than the other 2 "geometries"? Is the RH geometry more like the genesis or the 6500's?

(4) Which one is the lightest/heaviest?

(5) The Tass frame looks a bit filmsier than the other 2. Should I expect the same frame strength from the Tass?

(6) If you were to pick one for a race, which one would you take?

Thanks for answering!

HammerHead

Here are some answers

See answers below

(1) The 6500 has a shorter fork travel 80mm versus 100mm of the other 2. Should I worry about the 20mm difference?
    A. Not really unless you like bombing downhill, 80mm is plenty for XC, make sure that fork has true lockout, it helps a lot on climbs

(2) Both Tassa & 6500 has a hydraulic disc brake while the RH has a mechanical one. Is RH's brake equal or better than the ones that the other 2 has in this case?
    A. Mechanical brakes stop bike as well as Hydro, but the feel of the brake is slightly different ( so it is your personal choice), also hydro brakes require a little bit more maintainance

(3) What is a genesis gemoetry that the GF has? How is it different than the other 2 "geometries"? Is the RH geometry more like the genesis or the 6500's?
    A. RH geometry is similar to 6500. Genesis geometry has longer top tube, and seat positioned such that your weight a bit more on the back wheel, this makes climbing more efficient and stable. Longer top tube forces you to lean a bit forward so you put enough weight on front and seat angle sligtly backwards puts enough weight on back. This way you maintain good steering and traction on steep climbs/ loose dirt/ downhill and better aerodynamics on flat

(4) Which one is the lightest/heaviest?
    A. have no clue but decent HT MTB can way anywhere from 26 -30lbs, I beleive RH is heavier, also V brake versions are lighter

(5) The Tass frame looks a bit filmsier than the other 2. Should I expect the same frame strength from the Tass?
    A. Tass frame is as good as any of them. Smaller diameter tube but thicker walls.You should have no problem .

(6) If you were to pick one for a race, which one would you take?
    A. I would actually buy Gary Fisher Pirannha ($560), has almost the same specs as Tass, except it has mech brakes, its weight is about the same as Tass, but $200 cheaper. Though if money was not the issue then Stumpjumper S-works HT Carbon ($5000), Stumpjumper HT disc is next best thing ($1400), remeber aftre first $600 you are roughly paying between $300-450 per lb to reduce the weight
    Last edited by Gevorg; 05-18-2006 at 04:24 PM.
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I'd go with the 6500. TREK makes some pretty nice HT's. All of the bikes you're looking at are nice though. Go with what feels best for you.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Hi. Thanks a lot for you detailed answers! I am still torn between those. One more question:

How do I know if it's a "True lockout" vs a faked one?

Thanks!

HammerHead

Lockout

some forks are advertised as with lockout, but some of them just make fork very stiff instead of locking out the travel.
    To check the lockout, move lockout lever to lockout position on the fork and then apply as much weight as you can and see if travel locked out or fork still compresses. I found that on regular RH (not comp) it does not lockout, though lever has sticker on it "lockout"
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I currently ride a 6500 and love it, it takes a lot of abuse and keeps asking for more . . . that being said I am now moving on after 1 year of riding the 6500. A word of advuce the manitou that comes on the bike is garbage if you weigh over 160 lbs. Evrything else on the bike should suit you well for awhile unless you get bored of it.

My friend also rides a Tass and loves it so I guess you really can't go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Hi. Thanks all for your replies! I bought the 6500 disc.

More cow bells!
    May 2006
    About a month ago I was shopping around for a new bike, with a $500 price point. I ended up getting a 2004 Tassajara for $450.

I mainly bought it because it retailed for about $200 more than that. It was new, just an older model. I've been riding it and enjoying it.

However, I recall test riding the Specialized Rock Hopper. And I recall how comfortable it felt. More comfortable than the Tassajara. I bought the Tass based on value... and ultimately "resale" value for when I want to upgrade. But it wasn't the most comfortable for me.

I didn't test ride the 6500 although it was in the same price range. Good luck on your new bike!
    Tony
    allBowling.com
    If bowling websites were a bowl of mixed nuts, this site is the cashews.