mtbr member
    May 2006

Trek 6500 disc or Gary FIsher cake 4 dlx

I am new to this mountain bike stuff. I got sick of running and now want to bike for my exercise. A week or so ago I started borrowing a 18" (a little to small for me) trek 8700 from a coworker that is encouraging me. I am getting more familiar with the way this crap works every other day when I ride. I am looking to jump into the the market and get my own bike. I plan on keeping this bike for a while. I don't really want to race just ride for fun and exercise. I want a capable bike that I can learn on and then use for many years

Two choses

Hard-Tale
    Trek 6500 Disc 2006

Dual
    gary-fisher cake 4 dlx. can get a really really great price on a 2005

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    From your description of your needs in a bike, I think a hard-tail is the way to go. Change out the tires and you've got a decent road bike for exercising and a hard-tail will be a much better all-around bike IMO. I like the 6500 Disc, but I would probably spend a tad more money and pick up either the 6700 or the GF HKEK. You get a more "premium" level frame with the HKEK and if you like the Genesis Geometry I think that's the way to go. The 6500 disc is about $900. Spend $200 more and get a lot more bike.

So that's my recommendation - the 6700 or the GF HKEK.

w

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by willx45x
    From your description of your needs in a bike, I think a hard-tail is the way to go. Change out the tires and you've got a decent road bike for exercising and a hard-tail will be a much better all-around bike IMO. I like the 6500 Disc, but I would probably spend a tad more money and pick up either the 6700 or the GF HKEK. You get a more "premium" level frame with the HKEK and if you like the Genesis Geometry I think that's the way to go. The 6500 disc is about $900. Spend $200 more and get a lot more bike.

So that's my recommendation - the 6700 or the GF HKEK.

w
    I can vouge for the 6700. Great bike. I picked my 06 6700 up for 999 at my lbs.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

work to ride to work
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, the Cake is a nice bike, but it's not really an "exercise" bike... especially the dlx version. It's a dedicated trail bike. It would be pretty inefficient for road riding, commuting, etc. In fact, you didn't say anything about mountain biking, so you might even want to consider something along the lines of a cross bike or a hybrid.

-BD