mtbr member
    May 2007

Trek 6000 vs. Gary Fisher Pirhana

Went to the store today to try out a few bikes. Tried out the 4500 and the Gary Fisher Pirhana. Avtually liked the feel of the 4500 and the 'look' of the bike a little bit more but it can't compete with the components on the Fisher. Plus the Fisher has a lock out and disk brakes. I wanted to try a 6000 as I suspect that may be a nice compromisefor a little cheaper, but they had to put it together still. How does it stack up to the Fisher? Should I really save some cash and go the route of the 4500?

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Seems like the GF and Trek are basically the same bike - save for totally different feels due to Genesis. One thing I would point out: I believe the 6000 has an Octalink Bottom bracket and the Pirhana has a square-taper (someone double check me on this). The Octalink is a superior system.

Personally, I don't use the lockout on my fork. So that wouldn't make or break either bike for me. However, same price, same components, different geometry. Ride each bike and see which one you feel more comfortable on - you can't go wrong.

I'm of the opinion that you should get the best bike you can. If you spend more you'll want to go out and make sure you get a return on your investment (have fun) and hopefully that will lead to more involvement. Once you get more into the sport you'll be glad you spent the extra cash. But, it's over a hundred dollar difference. Again, ride each and see if you feel like it's worth it.

A note from a salesman: the brakes feel like rubbish out of the box, they need time to break in before they realize their full breaking power.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Both bikes are pretty similiar. Go with the one that feels the best to you, that looks the prettiest and that you'll use the most. I think the price of the 6000 will be similiar to the Piranha. I currently have the 4500 (my first MTB) and i've been happy with it since day one. No problems (except the bike shop didn't use a torque wrench to tighten the crank). It takes a beating and keeps on going. I have almost 500 miles on the bike and haven't broken anything.