mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Trek 6000 (2000 model) front derailleur

The front derailleur is shot and I need to replace it with an XT or XTR, anyone know what type I need? top pull, bottom pull, etc.

Also, I am debating whether I should get a comfort bike like a trek 7200, or convert my bike to a comfort bike.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

No longer 26
    How is it "shot? I have never worn out a front der. Broken on the other hand...

You should be able to find a bottom swing/top pull LX level that will fit your needs as well at XT(R) for much cheaper.

Cheers,
    Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That looks like an 8 speed setup to me. If this is the case then you want to be running an 8 speed specific front derailleur. A 9 speed unit will bolt up but will not give you optimum performance for a number of reasons. I would recommend the Shimano Alivio M412 top swing dual pull derailleur to replace your old one (should run you $20). Your local bike shop should be able to obtain one easily if they don't have one in stock.

As far as turning you current bike into a hybrid I would say get the 7200. For the amount of money you would need to spend to make it a reality you are better off sinking the cash into a new bike. Then you have a mountain bike still for dirt rides or a backup bike or one to loan to friends who come to stay, etc. Otherwise you are looking at a set of bars $20-40, a new full set of cables and housing $40, and a set of tires $40-60, plus the labor to install everything $60-80. That's $220 at the upper end. Most shops sell the 7200 for $399. Not to mention the dirty looks you are likely to receive from the shop guy's when you tell them what you want to do. So anyway I would say spring for the new rig and leave the old one as is. You could probably even sell it on craigslist for $100-150 and come out money ahead when all said and done.

Good Luck!