mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trek 4500 WSD and Trek 6500 WSD

I am in the process of taking my wife shopping for her first MTB. She sat in a mens model 6500 that was 15.5" and she said she was not comfortable with the standover as she only had about 1/2". My wife is only 5'1" and weighs 110. The LBS did not have a WSD in 14", but they are going to order one.

The question is if my wife likes the 14" frame size there are two choices that I see with decent componets. That is the 4500 WSD ($519.00) and the 6500 WSD ($909.00), the difference though is almost $400.00 in MSRP What are your thoughts on the 4500 WSD?

Also as a side note the LBS said she fit the 15.5" 6500 that they had just fine and that did not have the disk brakes and was priced at a MSRP of $769.99, but was selling for $700.00

Also I just noticed the 4500 is 24 speed and the 6500 is 27 speed, if that makes a difference.

I think we are also going to check of the Specialized as well.
    Last edited by River Hill; 04-03-2006 at 04:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hi,
    I'm a girl and I would recommend the WSD 6500. Thats the one I have and I absoulutly loove it!
    I had the same one two seasons ago, but unfortunately it got stolen, it was my all time favorite bike. It went with me everywhere. Also what I liked about was that it looked cool, the color was black with "Trek" written in pink. Also something very important was that it was made for a woman's physique. I used it to free ride in nature, but also in the city to and from work. The ultimate bike. Now it's gone.
    But two days ago I bought it's big brother. Trek wsd 6500 2008. I rode it from the store to the other end of my city, and felt at one with it immediately. I can't wait to ride it more when I have more time.
    Your wife is lucky!
    You know what I think is the best, to get something really good, when you first buy it, So go for the 6500. She'll be so happy with it.

Good luck!

Ps, I got them (in the store) to put the handle a little closer towards the seat from how it's sold originally. That way it doesn't hurt when you've been riding for many hours and your body struggles to keep the back straight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    RH - it depends on how much your wife is going to ride and what kind of trails she will be riding.

I just got my wife a 4500 WSD for Christmas. It's a great bike for casual riders who also like to mix in some light not too technical single track. If she rides a lot or hits difficult trails, then the 6500 would be worth the extra coin, but for about 95% of the women I know, the 4500 is more than enough.

You can't go wrong with either one, but the 6500 will hold up and perform better when pushed hard.