Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek 4500 WSD to disc brakes?

11K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jollybeggar 
#1 ·
Last year we bought a nice Trek 4500 WSD for my wife. She loves it and it fits her great. One thing that we didn't think about at the time was disc brakes. We didn't think we needed them. But I guess that is the way we learn what to modify on our bikes right? Find a bike that fits and is basically what you need, then change it to fit your needs.

Anyway, what hubs should I be looking for to fit this bike? And if we stay mechanical, do I have to change the levers? We mtb on a tight budget so if I can do the back first and then the front or the front then the back?

What are the options for this bike? Please be specific since I am new to modifying mountain bikes (I have modified plenty other things ie engine internals, xbox, car brakes etc.)

Thanks.

#2 ·
Well, I am not sure on the levers, but if you are on a budget and can only do one side at a time, then I would definetly upgrade the front first. As you probably already know, the front has more stopping power, or ability. The front hub will probably be cheaper as well. Hopefully someone else can help you with your other questions. Check around the website like pricepoint, jenson usa, etc, usually have some good deals on hubs. Jesse.

#3 ·
If you go with mechanical disc brakes like BB7s, you'll need either a new wheel or hub as you unlikely have a dsc compatible hub. That's going to run you at least $30 for a new hub, assuming you can rebuild a wheel and dish it properly, you'll also need the caliper & rotor, about $50, and new cables and jacket. Best case is it's going to run you $100 per wheel to upgrade.

Why do you think you need disc's? IS she havingn problems stopping? If not, I'd wait to upgrade after she taco's a wheel!!

Oh, you're existing levers will work fine with Mech disc brakes.

#5 ·
If you look at the non-drive-side of your hubs, you will either see a 6 bolt hole pattern or not. If there are no bolt holes, then you don't have disc compatible wheels. Either way, I would take it to you local bike shop, preferrably where you bought it and let them know what you want to do. I ran a bike with a disc in the front only for a while and it worked well.

#8 ·
My 4500 is set up disc. You might look for a used disc wheelset on eBay, I'd recommend Avid BB7s and your existing levers will work fine. If you have disc wheels on your bike do what I did, I upgraded the wheels on my FS rig and put the old disc set on my 4500 killing to birds with one stone.

I live in the Pacific Northwest where the wet muddy conditions make disc brake a must have. There a a lot of plus's to disc wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.