mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Trek 4500 & Marzocchi MX Pro

I have a Trek 4500 2006 whih came with Rockshox Judy J1 80mm which I would like to replace with the Marzocchi MX Pro, which I believe comes in 80mm and 100mm. I am 170lbs and do mainly XC. I tend towards the 100mm fork? Apart from bosses for my rim brakes do I need to be aware of any other specs/measurements so it will fit my bike? Can I fit it myself?

Thanjs.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    You'll need to take off the bearing race, set the star nut, and cut the steerer tube - assuming you don't want to put lots of spacers on there.... If you feel confident in doing all that, then you're set. If you're buying used, make sure that the steerer tube is long enough - you can always cut but you can't really add material.

Keep in mind that a longer travel fork is going to make the steering a little sluggish.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Ya, right.
    I have a 4500 and put an '05 MX Pro 105mm w/ETA on it and it works great. I like the fact that it slackened up the HA a bit. It's a good upgrade for the bike. It's also one of the easiest do it yourself upgrades. Follow what "Thirdrawn" said and you should be good to go.

I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.