No Stranger to danger....

Is a Trek 4300 Disk Ok as an entry level bike for my bro's first MTB ?

Hi guys, need some advise on this bike, my brother wants his first ever MTB and he has his eyes on the 2013 trek 4300 disk with hayes hydro brakes, he loves the green finish lol.

Ive never ridden a Trek, never been on one of these models of bikes, i basically want to know if its an ok entry level model that will let him hit a few trails weekend warrior style, and to use for general riding around town.

He can get it on sale here for around $600 Aus, ive talked him up from buying a 400 buck bike to this, ive told him to scrape 1k together and then look, but he's just had a baby and is cant/not wanting to spend that much, ive never suggested to anybody to buy a $600 bike let alone my bro, im worried it might fall apart to be honest.

I realise the specs arnt great but its all he can afford, and having never ridden a MTB i dont think he will notice the difference anyway.

So are these pretty sturdy bikes, are the frames OK, are the rims ok.

Id appreciate anybody who has one or has ridden one to let me know if he is making an ok choice, ive compared the specs to the other bikes for the same price and they all look pretty similar with the suntour forks and base line shimano kit.

Thanks for your help guys.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm sure it's a decent enough entry level bike. I own a 2003 Trek 4100 and it's still going strong. My son rides it now. The 4300 would be a higher model.

I don't have first-hand experience with the 2013 model, but Trek is a pretty solid brand with very good frames. I would expect this model to have a good frame and entry level components. I have seen a lot of folks posting on here that have it and they seem very happy with the performance.

I say tell your bro to go for it.
    2011 Trek 6500

Thanks for the advise mate, appreciate it, i think he's gonna go for it, says it as a lifetime frame warranty so thats a start, cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for your concern Bro, Just to let you know ive layed deposit on The Green Machine today. pick it up next week yea haa!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky bastard View Post
    Thanks for your concern Bro, Just to let you know ive layed deposit on The Green Machine today. pick it up next week yea haa!
    LOL, Your here, WELCOME TO MTBR BRO, come over to the off camber and introduce yourself to the gang mate.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, Your here, WELCOME TO MTBR BRO, come over to the off camber and introduce yourself to the gang mate.
    Yup we're all family here looking out for each other.

Which reminds me, you got that fish out of your penis Tone?

Theres a fish in my Penis ! Vandellic cirrhora, (the vampire fish) please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    Yup we're all family here looking out for each other.

Which reminds me, you got that fish out of your penis Tone?

Theres a fish in my Penis ! Vandellic cirrhora, (the vampire fish) please help!
    Hahaha, its still in there wriggling around, but i'll leave that for the OC, im not sure the trek forum could take it