mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Trek 4300 Alpha Questions

I'm pretty new to mtbing and have a few questions about my trek 4300, I was thinking about upgrading my rear derailleur but I'm not certain what kind to put on any suggestions? Also if I were to upgrade the cassette, could I go from an 8 speed to a 9? These might be dumb questions but I'm a nube so any advice is appreciated. Trek 4300 Alpha Questions-trek-4300.jpg
    Learn to love what you have been taught to fear!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes u can up grade to 9 or 10 speed but u will have to change shifter to 9 or 10 speed an the rear derailleur. I have Shimano Zee 10 speed on both my treks and love it. U can buy the the shifter at blue skycycling and shop around on the price for the rear derailleur and rear cassette i used slx rear cassette from blueskysky. (Zee derailleur comes in 2 types DH which is for down hill riding it uses like a 105 (road bike cassette)then type 2 is FR free ride riding for climbing hills.)
    Shimano M640 Zee Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano Zee SL-M640 Rear 10 Speed Shifter

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX HG-62 Cassette 10 Speed

and u ll need a new 10 speed chain
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano XT HG94 10 Speed Chain

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Alright thanks for the advice, do you think its worth the upgrade?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Re: Trek 4300 Alpha Questions

Id just ride it until you break something, then upgrade. Chances are you'll want to upgrade the entire bike before long. That being said...if you find a good deal on some quality drive train components, it is a major upgrade over the alivio stuff.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That just depends if ya ever gonna sell the bike later its hard to sell a 4300 even with upgraded parts.If you dont plan on ever selling it then yes its worth it ride it till the wheels fall off

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I've gone down this road before. After you upgrade the drivetrain, you'll want disc brakes, then maybe a new fork. All along the way, you'll discover other small parts that need to be replaced while you upgrade (cables, housing, cable caps, etc.) and it will all add up.

At the end of it all, you'll have spent more on upgrades than you would have a new bike. However, if you're doing the work yourself, then you will end up learning a lot about how to fix and repair your bike. Red pill, blue pill; your choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'll probably be riding this bike for the next couple of years I'm sure. Also if I upgrade the parts I'll definitely do the work myself. I'm thinking about going to disc brakes, the v brakes are working fine now but disc brakes are just something I want, after that a new fork is what would be next.. So yeah, I'll put in more money in it than it would probably be worth but, I'll gain some knowledge and know how.. when I'm done with the bike I'll either keep it as a back up or give it to my dad so he can start riding again.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Have fun and good luck. Some other online shops you may want to bookmark for price comparisions with BlueSky:

Pricepoint.com
    JensonUSA.com
    CambriaBike.com