mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Trek 3700 Questions

Does anyone know how much the Trek 3700 Frame weighs without the Fork?

On the frame it says Alpha Custom Aluminum. What is Alpha Custom Aluminum?

And would the below statement be a fair statement?

"It seems like this is a decent low priced beginner bike with a sturdy lightweight aluminum frame. The bike can be transformed into an intermediate to expert bike with the upgrades of its components".

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Trek 3700

Alpha Aluminum is Trek's word for straight gauge aluminum. It is nowhere near as light as its high end SLR or ZR9000 frames. There is more to it then just frame shape. The SLR and ZR9000 are butted, single or double. Additionally they use stronger and lighter aluminum alloy then the Alpha.

To address your upgrade question. The 3700 is designed as a recreational mountain bike. A bicycle that is best suited for around town use, with the OCCASIONAL light trail useage. The rider's body positioning is not suited for much offroad riding and the parts are not designed to take that kind of frequent abuse. The fork is also too short. In theory could it be upgraded? Short answer, yes...Long answer, it will NEVER perform like a Trek 6500, 6700, or even 4300.

If you are on a budget, and will be doing actual trail riding, do yourself the favor and get the 4300 or nicer. Its a much better bike, even after upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanz440
    Alpha Aluminum is Trek's word for straight gauge aluminum. It is nowhere near as light as its high end SLR or ZR9000 frames. There is more to it then just frame shape. The SLR and ZR9000 are butted, single or double. Additionally they use stronger and lighter aluminum alloy then the Alpha.

To address your upgrade question. The 3700 is designed as a recreational mountain bike. A bicycle that is best suited for around town use, with the OCCASIONAL light trail useage. The rider's body positioning is not suited for much offroad riding and the parts are not designed to take that kind of frequent abuse. The fork is also too short. In theory could it be upgraded? Short answer, yes...Long answer, it will NEVER perform like a Trek 6500, 6700, or even 4300.

If you are on a budget, and will be doing actual trail riding, do yourself the favor and get the 4300 or nicer. Its a much better bike, even after upgrades.
    I have a Trek 3700 and I don't do any hardcore trail riding. But I do a lot of street riding around Miami where I'm always hoping up and down curbs or might ride through an occasional dirt path. And at the same time, I'd also like to participate in local street rides from time to time.

I am trying to figure out if this bike might make decent hybrid. I figure with lighter rims and an Aluminum fork without any suspension the bike might weigh around 29lbs. And if thats the case than thats pretty manageable. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000e46
    I have a Trek 3700 and I don't do any hardcore trail riding. But I do a lot of street riding around Miami where I'm always hoping up and down curbs or might ride through an occasional dirt path. And at the same time, I'd also like to participate in local street rides from time to time.

I am trying to figure out if this bike might make decent hybrid. I figure with lighter rims and an Aluminum fork without any suspension the bike might weigh around 29lbs. And if thats the case than thats pretty manageable. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

I think you would be better off focusing on the TREK 7.2FX it is a hybrid bike. It is more then able to handle curb-cuts and hard packed dirt paths. It is lighterweight then the 3700 too. It is however, about $100 more then the 3700, but after you purchase a lighter set of wheels, tires, and a rigid fork you may actually come out SAVING money with the 7.2FX.