mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trek 3700 disc brakes?

The only thing I really would like to have on my new Trek (my first decent bike) are disc brakes. Can I add disc brakes onto this bike? What components would I need?
    Thanks,
    CHAZ

responsible zombie owner
    are the hubs disc ready? the 3 series bikes don't always have disc-compatible hubs.

on a 3 series bike you might be better off upgrading to Avid SD7 V brakes rather than putting on extra weight with low-end discs and paying a wedge for quality disc brakes might not make financial sense compared to riding the bike for a few years then upgrading to a better one complete with good discs.

of course, if you ride a lot in wet, muddy conditions you will benefit from discs but on a 3 series i would go with Avid BB7s rather than pay for hydraulic discs which could cost more than the bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    3700 Does not ccome with disc compatible hubs.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Is there a particular reason you need disc brakes, other than appearances? Even going to a basic set of mechanical disc brakes, you'll quickly approach the value of the bike once you pay for wheels and calipers. Additionally, if you're going to upgrade, go ahead and upgrade, don't just get the cheap stuff. So that means you'll spend more money and likely surpass the value of the bike.

A glance at Trek's website suggests that the fork does not have disc mounts. So going to a full disc setup, you may need a new fork. The dollar signs continue to march past. I can't tell if there are even disc mounts on the rear. I'm leaning toward "no."

In sum, If you really want disc brakes, you oughta look at trading in your 3700 or just buying a new bike outright. The 3700 weighs enough as it is without the extra ballast of disc brakes. And that's likely all disc brakes would be on that bike, ballast. If the rim brakes just aren't doing it for you, get some fancy new v-brake calipers for bling.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, I knew that was the correct answer. That was like the one thing that I liked on the Rincon that I looked at. Everything I have read here says I don't even need disc brakes. I just have to convince myself not to want disc brakes on there just because I don't have them. I like the rims with the low number of spokes too, but I keep telling myself I don't need them.
    Thanks,
    CHAZ

responsible zombie owner
    ride the wheels off your 3700, have fun doing it and rest assured you will be ready for a better bike in a year or two when you upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    An inexpensive disc adapter from Trek bolts on to you bike. Check to see if you have 2 mounting holes on the left dropout plate that are heavier duty than a rack mount. If so you are all set. You can always transfer the brakes and wheels to your next bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My Girlfriend bought one of these bikes way back in 2006 or 2007.

i had loads of parts laying around which i had upgraded from my own bikes over the years, so i did a disc upgrade on her bike.
    got some pics somewhere as well i think.

it is pretty invovled though, and i guess if you were buying all the parts it would be kinda expensive.

of the top of my head the bits i changed were:
    Fork
    Wheels (Originals not Disc Compatible)
    Shifters
    Rear Disc Adaptor
    Cassette (original is a freehub, which isnt compatiable with most, the XT ones i had anyway, new rear hubs)
    7 speed adaptor/spacer for the above
    finnally the Disc System, Hayes Stroker Trail, itself (which i got pretty cheap of Ebay)

the cost of the "upgraded" parts when they were new are probably more than what the bike cost, but she was "attached" to it so we went through it and now it is pretty good actually.

will try and get some pics up for you if you want