Thread: Trek 3700

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Trek 3700

Hey Everyone,

I am just getting into riding(super noob), and i received a Trek 3700 for Christmas. Now I know it doesn't have many bells and whistles. 60mm fork i think, canti breaks, etc.. What would it take to hook it up with some mechanical discs? Also, how much is it going to run me to put a nicer fork up front(thinking 110mm)?

Thanks,

Mike

On Another note, sadly the rear rim bent when i hit a rock on a trail, had to get that fixed. Also, somehow the left crank completely fell off because the nut(i think) that holds the arm to the assembly? fell out. That was an interesting experience...riding with one leg is not fun at all even with my smarty clip-in pedals.

mtbr member
    Be sure to do some research on upgrading your fork if you want to go longer. That will change the bike's geometry and could make the ride quality shoddy. Search for some posts where experience riders have done the swap already.

For discs you'll probably be looking at the break kit as well as new wheels, unless yours are disc compatible already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairchild
    Be sure to do some research on upgrading your fork if you want to go longer. That will change the bike's geometry and could make the ride quality shoddy. Search for some posts where experience riders have done the swap already.

For discs you'll probably be looking at the break kit as well as new wheels, unless yours are disc compatible already.

current wheels are what came on the bike when I received it.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I wouldn't go any more than 80mm for the fork upgrade. Anything higher is really going to change how the bike acts and you probably won't like it.

Besides, a new fork will cost at least $100. And that's for a basic fork.

To my knowledge, the 3700 has always come with rim-brake wheels. I would be very surpised if yours is any different. So, in order to put disc brakes on your bike, you would need to buy new wheels. Base-level disc-compatible wheels will cost around $60 each if you're lucky. Mechanical disc brakes will cost around $70 each. So, let's do some math.

(Wheelset) $120 + (Brakeset) $140 + (Fork) $100 = $360

Cost of a new 3700 = $300

I thnk it's great that you want to get more serious about riding and want to upgrade your stuff. However, in my opinion, you would be better off buying a new bike. Maybe the shop where you purchased your 3700 will do a trade-in and discount a 4500 or a 6000.

I don't want to discourage you, I just think that the money you will spend to upgrade can be put to a much more effective use. A new 4500 is around $500 and you might be able to get $100 knocked off of that if you trade in your 3700. Then, it's only $40 more than what you'd spend on upgrades and you get a much better bike all around.

Good luck.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the info...guess I'll ride it the way it is for a while before I decide to upgrade. i'd kind of feel bad if i went and traded in my parents christmas present :S

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    As I sit and think more about it...what would be the best choice to upgrade without breaking the bank, but still getting a quality ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    well...sadly as i was riding around the street near my house with my little bro today, i hopped off a curb(6") and the derailer hanger snapped..wtf?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would just do as suggested, and ride it stock, or replace it with a 4500 or higher bike. Like someone mentioned earlier, it will cost more to upgrade your bike, than it would be to buy a better one. I know from experience, as I already went down that path with my 4300.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I got into riding last year. Bought a 4300 and rode that all last summer. The bug bit me so I just bought a new one. Luckily the wife and I ride the same size so it became and extra bike that she can ride. On the low end bikes you are better off to ride and then upgrade to a better bike like others have said.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd suggest buying a new bike if you have the money laying around or saving for one. I don't quite have the money for a great bike all in sitting. Plus my wife wouldn't justify me spending over 1000 at one time. So i'm updating the bike little by little with presents or money from Christmas/Birthday/Father's Day/etc. I have a Trek 4500 and rather than buy a new bike this year, I replaced the front fork (Rockshox Reba) and bought some disc brakes. I think next year is when I'll get an XC full suspension frame and the front fork and some of the other components on the bike will be good to switch over. So far nothing has really broken on my bike but if it does, i'll replace it with the higher end models. It's more money to buy things piece by piece or with build kits but it's hard to lay down a big chunk of money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just wanted to chime in; I bought a new Rockshox Dart 2 for my 3700 a couple weeks ago for $99. It's a low end 80mm fork, but it's leaps and bounds better than the RST 191 that came with the bike. The bike is less twitchy, but still maintains the quick turning XC feel that I liked. Everything is perfect now, except that the back wheels keeps bending every time I go out riding...if I were to upgrade the wheels to something stronger, I would be spending well over $250 (combined with fork), and that would be really difficult to justify on the 3700.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I guess the point of that post was...think twice before upgrading your fork. If it's not bottoming out regularly, I wouldn't bother.

noob wheel drive
    I have a TREk 3900, it went through my form of hell, and I had to spend $1000 on repairs alone. Just get a new bike, seriously. I've wasted all my damn money upgrading my upgrade-unworthy 3900. $100 on lights, $90 on the new derailleur, and most of the rest on the derailleurs I assassinated. GET A NEW ONE!.....

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I guess it all depends on what kind of riding you're doing, but it should be noted that I would consider the 4300 and up the trail-worthy bikes from Trek. I would hope that no one is selling or buying the 3000 series as a trail bike.
    Last edited by Thirdrawn; 05-24-2007 at 10:45 PM.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser