Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek 29er's roll call

194K views 589 replies 262 participants last post by  Sickmak90 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, I just picked up a 2012 Trek Mamba and wanted to create a thread strictly on the Trek 29er lineup. Goal is to have a one to go thread to learn more about our bikes instead of checking each thread on different build ups. This way we can get to know more of our bikes and see what others are doing as far as upgrades. Ill start off first:

Owner: Norm
Bike/Setup: 2012 Trek Mamba all stock but looking to upgrade.
How long have you owned it: 1 month
Thoughts so far: Awesome bike and climbs like a goat compared to my 2011 Giant Revel.
Cons so far: None that I can think of

Attachments

See less See more
#180 · (Edited)
2012 Superfly 120 Trail Bike

I bought this bike complete from MTBR classifieds. The frame was brand new with 2011 used parts. I've upgraded almost everything. The bike can simply do everything. I did a cross country race on it and blew away all the hard tails, then I setup it up for trail riding with the drop post and Talas 120mm.

The OEM fork always seemed outmatched for the shock on this bike. It never felt smooth and had limited travel, even at low psi. The Talas is amazing and makes the bike so much faster on the descents and when it gets chunky. Expensive upgrade, but worth it.

One thing that is a problem with this frame is the rear der cable routing. Trek has it doing a "W" shape over the bottom bracket. This creates a lot of tension and is just plain lame. I had the LBS reroute the cable under the bb - he used some zip ties and hose to create a "mount" that keeps it out of the bottom bracket. Works great!

I have the QR version of DT Swiss 240S hubs - they DO NOT have the oversize bearings, so DT does not have a kit to convert this hub. I found a company out of Canada, Western Mountain Sports, that makes a kit to go to 15mm. I've had a couple of long rides on the kit and it works great. I will probably go to 142x12 in the rear if I can find a kit to do the conversion, but it only increases the stiffness by 10%.

2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro Frame
2012 Fox Talas 95-120mm Fork
1x10 Sram XO drivetrain (34 Rotor ring (not pictured) and 11/34)
2012 Shimano XTR brakes
Carbon "Roval Style" 32H rims with DT SWiss 240s hubs
2011 Truvativ Carbon Noir cranks
Bontrager carbon bar
Thomson 80mm stem
Crank Bros Joplin 4 post
OURY grips - I really like ODI Rogue and TLD, but these are sick - I took a hard spill OTB and these grips didn't hold up - my bar got banged up pretty bad, so I'm going back to ODI Rogue lock ons.
I thought about getting a second "trail" bike, but this bike can do everything so I'm going to save the money :)

Attachments

#181 ·
I bought this bike complete from MTBR classifieds. The frame was brand new with 2011 used parts. I've upgraded almost everything. The bike can simply do everything. I did a cross country race on it and blew away all the hard tails, then I setup it up for trail riding with the drop post and Talas 120mm.
It boggles my mind how nice of a ride that is. Lucky you.

#8 ·
Sweet bikes everyone. Limey Johnson, that marlin looks sharp in that color. I was skeptical at first when I first saw it but yours looks sweet! Are those stock handlebars? I am thinking about swapping mine out but not sure what to get. It feels to wide for me and I notice my forearms hurt after a ride. I know I can cut it but wanted to know if it would be better to swap it out for more comfort and also to shed some weight. Any recommendations anyone?

#9 ·
Ncruz408 question why did u choose this bike and not get the Trek x-Caliber. Was it a money issue due to the x-caliber being more money? The reason I ask because I am in the market in getting me a Trek and torn between the Mamba or X-Caliber. I compare them both and the big major difference is the fork the X- Caliber is better.

Thanks

#10 ·
Yea money was the issue and I did not want to spend too much on my first 29er since I am new to the scene. I love my mamba and I think it is a really good platform to build up on. If money is not an issue and u plan racing with the bike than the X Cal will be ur choice. For now I am a weekend warrior but I definetly getting addicted to the game

#20 ·
I think it rides nice, pretty fast too with the narrow tires. Weighs 27 pounds, which isn't bad considering the front suspension. Mine is the 19" size. I don't really have a lot of bikes to compare too, seems more durable than the FX line to me. Plus it's nice to be able to switch tires and go trail riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.