Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek 29er's roll call

194K views 589 replies 262 participants last post by  Sickmak90 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, I just picked up a 2012 Trek Mamba and wanted to create a thread strictly on the Trek 29er lineup. Goal is to have a one to go thread to learn more about our bikes instead of checking each thread on different build ups. This way we can get to know more of our bikes and see what others are doing as far as upgrades. Ill start off first:

Owner: Norm
Bike/Setup: 2012 Trek Mamba all stock but looking to upgrade.
How long have you owned it: 1 month
Thoughts so far: Awesome bike and climbs like a goat compared to my 2011 Giant Revel.
Cons so far: None that I can think of

Attachments

See less See more
#543 ·
2013 Trek Marlin

Owner: Cody
Bike/Setup: 2013 Trek Marlin - Stock except for the pedals and gel seat cover
How long have you owned it: 2 Days
Thoughts so far: Haven't taken it to a trail yet, so I am not sure how it will ride. But I took it for a 30 mile road cruise today and it performed better than expected!
Cons so far: The brakes suck, definitely need to upgrade.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#546 ·
Finally done upgrading my Stache, love the way this thing rides, now all that's left is for me to continue to get faster
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle
Tire Wheel Mode of transport Transport Automotive tire

-Spank Oozy Trail295 Bead Bite Wheelset
-KS Lev 150 routed through my old fd internal routing
-Ice Tech rotors and pads
-70mm Rhythm Pro stem and 750mm Rhythm Pro carbon bar
-XT chain and cassette
-Saint rd and shifter
-Race Face 30t narrow wide chainring

Just under 26 lbs

#555 ·
My fully upgraded TREK Paragon 29" 2011

Greetings, I should have found this thread earlier, so here is my TREK 29", : Paragon 2011 29" frame.
It a great bike. Fast, stable and excellent handling. G2 geometry really works! With upgrades it rides even better, especially wheels, ceramic bearings BB and brakes! I guess the only stock components are the head set and brake discs.
My major upgrades:
- normal bars and Ergon grips,
- Specialized BG seat,
- Shimano XT BR785 2012 brakes,
- wheels: WTB Stryker TCS Cross Country 29" 2012 - most important upgrade
- SRAM X9 3x10 GXP cranks with SRAM pressfit ceramic
- fork: Rockshox SID XX 29" G2 100mm 15mm tapered, 2012
- SRAM 1070 casset
- SRAM X0 type 2 rear derailerur 2013
- SRAM X0 shifters 2013

Attachments

#557 ·
Soon to be in my possession: 17 1/2 inch 2015 X-Cal 8. Already have Shimano Saint pedals coming (already have Shimano SPDs), Ergon grips/bar ends I already have, along with another saddle if the stock one does not work for me.

#567 ·
I have a 3x system on my road bike, and it isn't as smooth or nice at high speeds going down hills. I prefer to either coast in the middle ring and the highest gear, or the big ring and half way down the cassette.
Also, why do you ride road on your mountain bike? It isn't designed for that, therefore you don't need a big ring. A third ring also adds weight (its what the weight weenies say).

#569 ·
I am slumming with my Marlin 5, which is now absolutely stock. With the places I am riding it is super capable. I need to get it to some good trails. Actually I will be doing the best riding on my department store Schwinn because I am taking it to the ranch and there are some pretty interesting roads out there.

I'll try to post a photo soon.

#571 ·
Hi ConchoBill,
Picked up a 2015 Marlin 5 last week. Hope you love yours as much as I love mine. All stock as well, Awesome on single track and gravel as that's all I've road so far. (I'm a noob to MTB) Hitting Bethpage State Park on Long Island NY this week and it should be a little more of a challenge, then what I road last week.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

#573 ·
Lmao, yea definitely no dirt on mine or anything else because that pictures from the day it came home. I'm eventually going to upgrade to the Raidon fork, just don't have the funds atm. I now have a seat pack, frame pump and bottle holder. I'll take a new pic after this weekend because I'm going to hit the trails hard!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.