Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek 29er's roll call

194K views 589 replies 262 participants last post by  Sickmak90 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, I just picked up a 2012 Trek Mamba and wanted to create a thread strictly on the Trek 29er lineup. Goal is to have a one to go thread to learn more about our bikes instead of checking each thread on different build ups. This way we can get to know more of our bikes and see what others are doing as far as upgrades. Ill start off first:

Owner: Norm
Bike/Setup: 2012 Trek Mamba all stock but looking to upgrade.
How long have you owned it: 1 month
Thoughts so far: Awesome bike and climbs like a goat compared to my 2011 Giant Revel.
Cons so far: None that I can think of

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Sweet bikes everyone. Limey Johnson, that marlin looks sharp in that color. I was skeptical at first when I first saw it but yours looks sweet! Are those stock handlebars? I am thinking about swapping mine out but not sure what to get. It feels to wide for me and I notice my forearms hurt after a ride. I know I can cut it but wanted to know if it would be better to swap it out for more comfort and also to shed some weight. Any recommendations anyone?

#9 ·
Ncruz408 question why did u choose this bike and not get the Trek x-Caliber. Was it a money issue due to the x-caliber being more money? The reason I ask because I am in the market in getting me a Trek and torn between the Mamba or X-Caliber. I compare them both and the big major difference is the fork the X- Caliber is better.

Thanks

#10 ·
Yea money was the issue and I did not want to spend too much on my first 29er since I am new to the scene. I love my mamba and I think it is a really good platform to build up on. If money is not an issue and u plan racing with the bike than the X Cal will be ur choice. For now I am a weekend warrior but I definetly getting addicted to the game

#20 ·
I think it rides nice, pretty fast too with the narrow tires. Weighs 27 pounds, which isn't bad considering the front suspension. Mine is the 19" size. I don't really have a lot of bikes to compare too, seems more durable than the FX line to me. Plus it's nice to be able to switch tires and go trail riding.

#42 ·
2012 Trek Marlin!

Owner: Matt
Bike/Setup: 2012 Trek Marlin all stock. New pedals this weekend!
How long have you owned it: 1 hour
Thoughts so far: Ride report pending.
Cons so far: It's dark outside.
same bike here bought yesterday picked up today and rode the 11 miles home on the street and loved it smooth shifting great response and you cover some serious ground and fast

#23 · (Edited)
Hi fellow Trek dudes and dudettes!

Here's my weekday warrior:

Owner: Wheeliam
Bike/Setup: 2011 GF Collection Sawyer. Singlespeed. Schwalbe Big Orange. Titec J-bar.
How long have you owned it: 3 months
Thoughts so far: I use it everyday as a commuter bike. I occasionally use it on trails when my scheds permit me. It's kinda heavy (due to big apples and handle bar) unlike when she was stock but it's just okay because these tyres and bars give tremendous amount of comfort to me not to mention she makes me faster on paved road. I've changed the saddle before but put back this black bontrager (Selle Italia SLR gives better smile on my back though).
Cons so far: Heavy as tank. Dull color. The battleship gray looks dull to me so I'm making her stealthy black soon.

#24 ·
Hi fellow Trek dudes and dudettes!

Here's my weekday warrior:

Owner: Wheeliam
Bike/Setup: 2011 GF Collection Sawyer. Singlespeed. Schwalbe Big Orange. Titec J-bar.
How long have you owned it: 3 months
Thoughts so far: I use it everyday as a commuter bike. I occasionally use it on trails when my scheds permit me. It's kinda heavy (due to big apples and handle bar) unlike when she was stock but it's just okay because these tyres and bars give tremendous amount of comfort to me not to mention she makes me faster on paved road. I've changed the saddle before but put back this black bontrager (Selle Italia SLR gives better smile on my back comfort though).
Cons so far: Heavy as tank. Dull color. The battleship gray looks dull to me so I'm making her stealthy black soon.

SWEET! :thumbsup:

#25 ·
I am looking into my first upgrades for my Trek Mamba but not sure where to look. I was thinking of hitting the drive train first so that I can lose some weight and at the same time hopefully make it easier for me to climb hills. I an looking into the Shimano LX FC-M582 Crankset at JensonUSA.com and Shimano HG61 12-36 29Er Cassette at JensonUSA.com or should I wait until my current drive train wear out and upgrade to the SLX? Since drivetrains do wear out should I invest in the cockpit and seat to make more of a comfortable ride first? Not sure where to start. Any ideas?

#31 · (Edited)
2012 Mamba

Well here's mine....seen one, you've seen them all!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.