Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek 29er's roll call

194K views 589 replies 262 participants last post by  Sickmak90 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, I just picked up a 2012 Trek Mamba and wanted to create a thread strictly on the Trek 29er lineup. Goal is to have a one to go thread to learn more about our bikes instead of checking each thread on different build ups. This way we can get to know more of our bikes and see what others are doing as far as upgrades. Ill start off first:

Owner: Norm
Bike/Setup: 2012 Trek Mamba all stock but looking to upgrade.
How long have you owned it: 1 month
Thoughts so far: Awesome bike and climbs like a goat compared to my 2011 Giant Revel.
Cons so far: None that I can think of

Attachments

See less See more
#145 ·
nice bikes!
I have a question on my trek marlin.....
i am having a problem with my pedals!
i can get the right on off but the left one will NOT come off..... i tried vice grips... wrenches.... a lot of things! me and my dad have both tried... but we keep stripping the pedal...

HELP PLEASE
Are you turning the right direction? One pedal is clockwise and the other is counterclockwise.

#153 ·
Thanks AttaQ,:thumbsup:

I was really worried about the colour, as I couldn't find one to view in the flesh and web pics looked a bit dodgy, so took a gamble, my budget was £1000 and the ex cal was 1250, so went for it at 850, really happy i did, its really unique and shows a bit of personal flair, just need to upgrade the breaks and im done, there are still a few '11s floating around at discount prices. Would recommend to anyone if you want something a bit different :)

#156 ·
Lewy: Super Nice bike there! I'm buying soon X-caliber or possibly the SF like yours. I know the higher grade frame tubing & components make the SF a bit lighter but does anyone know apprx weight diffs between the 2? thanks in advance!

#157 ·
Looking into my first major upgrade for my Trek Mamba which is a wheelset. Any recommendations for a set under $500? I was looking into a set of Easton EA70's, Shimano Xt's, or DT XR29 QR sets from Specials What are your thoughts? Main objective is to help lighten up the bike also I am about 197lbs any weight issues I have to look for since most of the rims are 24 spoke? Sorry, I am a newbie at this stuff. I hear a lot of Stans but not sure if I would like to go tubeless.

#160 ·
I just bought my 2012 X-Cal about 3 months ago. The only thing I have done is I went tubeless. I'm still new to mountain biking and was wondering if any one had some suggestion to what I should upgrade next. Lets say hypothetically I had 600 hundred extra dollars to spend. what would you do.

Attachments

#161 ·
It really depends on what your objectives are for upgrading. Most people upgrade to lose weight off the bike or just to add some bling.

If i hypothetically had $600 to blow on a stock x-cal or any other stock built bike would be wheels. I would go for a set of Stan's Arch Ex wheelset ($480), with whats left I would get a few cockpit comfort items such as a new set of grips, ESI Chunky ($15), proper length stem and offset or no offset seatpost ($100).

You'll be set until you want to drop more weight and start to lust over pieces such as thomson masterpiece seatpost and x4 stem, carbon bars, ti rail saddles, lighter better drivetrain components such as xtr and xo, higher performance brakes, when you're deep into all the upgrades you'll look into detail pieces like the headset, bb, match makers, grip end caps, skewers, post clamps. When your $1200 bike turns into a $3000 investment you'll want a carbon frame or even worse a moots ybb ti.

Endless game of upgrading and money pit. I am actually happy with my current bike but, want a long travel FS 29er in the quiver.

#166 ·
My Rumblefish Elite 2012
Amazing Ride. What really sucks though is that the rear end started knocking after a couple of rides. The Fox-Bushings were worn after not even 200 km! Dealer changed them, but after only 3 weeks the same problem came up again. Also the screw holding the shock keeps coming loose. Im currentl waiting for Trek to pick up the Bike at my LBS to have it checked completely. Anyone else got Problems with the rear end of their RF?

Attachments

#183 ·
Loosey Goosey Fix

First of all, Awesome bike!

I had the same problem with my Superfly 100 AL Pro. Took it to the LBS where I bought it.
They wrenched on it, but after only 2-3 miles, same loosening of the shock pivot bolt.
I ordered a needle bearing kit from Real World Cycling. Installed the kit and the thing is AWESOME!!

REAL WORLD CYCLING AFTERMARKET COMPONENTS, BEARINGS, & SEALS

#167 · (Edited)
My 2012 Cobia

AKA: the Ankle Breaker

ROFL
Second ride out, I wrecked and broke my ankle almost two weeks ago.
Embarrassing really.
Not a bad break, though.
But the bike is perfectly fine!

Upgrades so far:
Lizard Skin lockon grips
Geax AKA TNT tires, running tubes. Not too crazy about them, seeing about trading them for some beefier tires.
WTB Speed V pro-gel saddle. Swear by this thing, always.
Time ATAC Alium pedals
Wireless computer
And the all-important Y.A.W.Y.D. top cap, with a George Killian's cap. My favorite beer.

Attachments

#171 ·
Thanks, it fits perfect. The only prob is I have such short legs I need the seat low, reach is perfect but needed to flip and slam the stem all the way. I'm itching to ride so bad but it's raining out for the next two days. Love this bike so much.

Edit: If I went with the 17.5 it would have been a nightmare of problems with fit.

#172 ·
The new XC race machine for 2012.

2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro 19"
Reversed and Slammed the Stem
Geax AKA Front Tire Tubeless
Geax Saguaro TNT XC Rear Tire Tubeless
XT Pedals
Bontrager RL Bottle Cage

Still waiting on the ESI grips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.