Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Blazen, any idea what caused them? Thorns or something more major?

I'm not running tubeless yet, but many recommend that for eliminating pinch flats and such. I'm going to try slime tubes with sealant in them, I'm not super worried about the weight right now, otherwise I'd convert to tubeless. I've also heard Specialized has a good tube with sealant inside that will handle minor punctures.

What kind of pressure you running? I run relatively low, 28-30 lbs, but never had a flat with my stock tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    2012 Trek X-Cal

Owner: Nick
    Bike/Setup: 2012 Trek X-Cal 21" frame, flat pedals, new grips ordered
    How long have you owned it: 6 weeks
    Thoughts so far: It is a better bike than I am a rider. Really enjoying it. Still need to finish getting it dialed in though.
    Cons so far: Grips

When I got it home:

After the first time in the dirt:

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneRob View Post
    Blazen, any idea what caused them? Thorns or something more major?

I'm not running tubeless yet, but many recommend that for eliminating pinch flats and such. I'm going to try slime tubes with sealant in them, I'm not super worried about the weight right now, otherwise I'd convert to tubeless. I've also heard Specialized has a good tube with sealant inside that will handle minor punctures.

What kind of pressure you running? I run relatively low, 28-30 lbs, but never had a flat with my stock tires.
    The rear was a sharp strong wood splinter (that went thru and thru) and the front was a tiny thorn. Looking back, I think the tires must have been running high pressures when I bought it. I am going to try the specialized tube and see how it fares, with lower pressures of course.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know off hand how much the stock wheelset weighs for the Trek Mamba (Bontrager AT-850 disc )? I am looking to purchase another wheelset as an upgrade or maybe a spare. Let me know thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AttaQ View Post
    2012 Trek X-Cal

Owner: Nick
    Bike/Setup: 2012 Trek X-Cal 21" frame, flat pedals, new grips ordered
    How long have you owned it: 6 weeks
    Thoughts so far: It is a better bike than I am a rider. Really enjoying it. Still need to finish getting it dialed in though.
    Cons so far: Grips

When I got it home:

After the first time in the dirt:

Congrats!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    Does anyone know off hand how much the stock wheelset weighs for the Trek Mamba (Bontrager AT-850 disc )? I am looking to purchase another wheelset as an upgrade or maybe a spare. Let me know thanks.
    Well I have the weight of the wheels and tires together, i dont know if it can help you out.

Front wheel and tire= 2488g

Rear wheel and tire no cassette=2557g

Here is where i lost most of the weight when upgrading my marlin.
    [IMG][/IMG]

passed out in your garden
    2012 Rumblefish Elite
    have only changed the grips

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliam View Post
    that gave me a bit of a stiffy
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyblanco2121 View Post
    Well I have the weight of the wheels and tires together, i dont know if it can help you out.

Front wheel and tire= 2488g

Rear wheel and tire no cassette=2557g

those will be the first thing to go when i order my marlin ss soon. and the anchor of a fork
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Latest ride on my 2011 Xcaliber, I gotta say I am glad I went with this bike.

My blog! Two wheels and a fat guy Check it out and watch a fat guy use biking as a weight loss tool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    only thing left stock is the saddle and seatpost clamp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ok stupid question, but my QR lever is on the right side of the front wheel, but I notice almost everyone's here is on the left. Does that matter at all ? Also looking to buy platform pedals. Any suggestions ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazenFireMD View Post
    ok stupid question, but my QR lever is on the right side of the front wheel, but I notice almost everyone's here is on the left. Does that matter at all ? Also looking to buy platform pedals. Any suggestions ?
    On the QR, maybe just so they are both are on the same side, the rear derailleur is on the other side in the rear so just for aesthetics sake keeping the front on the same side as the rear? all of my bikes are set up that way and I never gave it much thought but that reason would make sense. I don't think it makes a difference as far as performance or anything other than looks but could be wrong?

On the pedals, I use Odyssey Trail mix pedals on all of my bikes, I am a clyde and they have been indestructible so far, they aren't light but they work for me and look good.
    My blog! Two wheels and a fat guy Check it out and watch a fat guy use biking as a weight loss tool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    only thing left stock is the saddle and seatpost clamp.

Nice! Mamba right? Please list ur upgrades... I'm curious

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    Nice! Mamba right? Please list ur upgrades... I'm curious
    Actually it's a '11 Marlin.

upgrades done are,

Fox F29 FIT RLC 15qr 100mm fork (non-G2)
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Easton Haven Carbon handlebar
    ESI Chunky grips
    Azonic Headlock
    Thomson X4 stem and Elite seatpost
    Avid Elixir 9 carbon brakes (180mm F/R)
    Sram X9 short cage derailleur and X9 shifter
    Sram PC971 chain
    Shimano SLX M665 crankset
    Salsa 32t chainring
    MRP x1 chainguide
    Shimano deore HG61 12-36 cassette
    Wellgo MG-A52 pedals
    Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheels (setup tubeless)
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front
    Tioga Pyscho Genius 2.25 rear

Stock: Bontrager Evoke saddle, Bontrager generic qr seatpost clamp.

mtbr member
    His:
    Dunn_6827

and hers, er mine!
    IMG_6775

With all our glorious PNW weather we've only had a couple of rides so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A winter ride on my 2012x-cal!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek 29er's roll call-uploadfromtaptalk1332851551976.jpg  

passed out in your garden

... and if we just ...

photo from Sunday,
    finally have grip position fully sorted, and seat position sorted, Im stoked

missus wont let me keep her in the bedroom

for those with a weight fetish,
    bike as shown, without waterbottle, with Contour roam & mount = 13.54kgs
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    2011 Superfly

mtbr member
    Mudmouse: Cool NW pix of his and hers X-Cals. Trying to get out on my '11 X-Cal with crap weather too.. maybe I should surprise the wife with a WSD X-Cal.. or since she doesn't ride, maybe I'll get her a Rumblefish Pro!

Trailmax, I gotta ask on your heavily modified Marlin.. you replaced nearly everything on that bike, (and awesome stuff), but if you had it to do over again, would you have just bought up? Respectfully asking of course, to each their own, but you must've spent more than the original purchase, did you just really get into MTB after you bought it?

Peace,
    Rob

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just picked up my 2012 Trek Cobia today. Can wait to go out and ride it this weeked. Started looking at the Mamba, but I am happy that I spent a little extra.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mudmouse: Cool NW pix of his and hers X-Cals. Trying to get out on my '11 X-Cal with crap weather too.. maybe I should surprise the wife with a WSD X-Cal.. or since she doesn't ride, maybe I'll get her a Rumblefish Pro!

Trailmax, I gotta ask on your heavily modified Marlin.. you replaced nearly everything on that bike, (and awesome stuff), but if you had it to do over again, would you have just bought up? Respectfully asking of course, to each their own, but you must've spent more than the original purchase, did you just really get into MTB after you bought it?

Peace,
    Rob
    Rob, I completely understand where you're coming from and I asked myself the same question before starting the upgrades on my marlin.

I upgraded all the parts in the span of about 9 months. I first started with the drivetrain and cockpit then went into the big ticket items such as the fork and wheels.

I estimate I spent about $1000 in total for upgrades and the original bike cost me $570 so in total of $1570 I now have a bike that is better spec'd than the paragon (superfly AL elite for '12) and everything is hand picked and suited for my riding style and taste.

Even if I started over fresh, I wouldn't have the chunk of change to buy the santa cruz highball carbon with the spx xc build kit or the Trek superfly carbon elite (which I would have chosen if I had the cash).

Since having upgraded slowly and chose my components carefully with the aspects of semi-budget in mind I now have a bike that cost me very little for alot of bike. I fell in love with the frame's geometry and handling, it's the only reason I kept the frame.

I was into freestyle bmx and road biking many years ago and a friend rekindled the fire to ride again. I wanted a 29er because of my height and size (6'1, 230lbs) tried many bikes before I purchased the marlin. I've never ridden mountain trail type riding but, I have progressed so quickly and was wearing and breaking parts just as fast. Fast forward 9 months and all those broken and worn parts are in a box in my garage and my bike looks the way it does now. I now love riding and my bike is the result of my passion.

sorry for long post everyone.

mtbr member
    Thanks Trailmax, that is totally cool. I dig it when people don't go conventional route. Most of us dumped the saddle first, but you're still rockin' it! Nice. So how do you like the X9 stuff? I've got the X7 and do not know any better, but have heard it's not the greatest. I'm not a racer *yet at least* but that is one area I've considered. Are you running a 1x10? You must be in good shape for the climbs with a 32! I don't think I could do it.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    looks can be deceiving. I'm running a 1x9 32t front chain ring and a 12-36t cassette. the cassette gearing is making thinks a little easier on the climbs. I never really used the small 22t chainring on climbs because I always felt like I was spinning too fast and wasting energy and the 44t chainring is mostly useful on the road, on the trails I ride its not really a problem with the 1x9. Go for the 1x10 it'll make you stronger. As for the X9 stuff, I only got it because they were not that much more than X7 stuff. I would have bought X0 but the difference in price to performance ratio compared to X9, I couldn't justify the extra $$.

X7 stuff is fine for most all riding. You will one day want to swap out your shifters or derailleurs because you want more bling, wearing from use, or weight reduction.

mtbr member
    lol - Can't go wrong with the Rumblefish. Even if she falls in love with riding and never lets you ride it. So far we're lovin' the X-Cals...at least for the whole two rides we've gone on.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast