Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Glad you quoted this actually because that was right when I bought the bike. Here it is as of yesterday with some hopefully less dorky upgrades

Attachment 822274

Since that picture was taken:
    Ditched the bag(went camelback obviously) as well as all the reflectors
    Took off the bike computer for now too
    Convert Platform Pedals
    ODI Rogue Grips
    Black Shimano Cables
    Ascent Carbon Fiber Seat Post with more offset
    WTB pure V Race Saddle
    Carbon Fiber headset spacers (just to be an ass, this bike is still heavy)
    Manitou Tower Expert fork
    WTB wolverine and bronson tires
    Busted Tube Chainstay wrap

Next year will probably be a new wheelset and maybe brakes.
    Man those are some serious upgrades. How does your fork feel compared to stock?

mtbr member
    Night and Day man. The tower does what a fork is supposed to do and the suntour did what a $60 fork does. That being said, I fell in love with the sport riding that fork and rode it much much harder then its intended to be ridden without it breaking.

Aside from the obvious difference in feel when I ride over something the first thing I noticed was how much easier it was to keep a straight line while going UP or down grades with roots/rocks/etc

Also I dont consider them to be too serious. Aside from the fork everything was necessary for me. Grips, Tires, and Pedals are a must (not to mention tires wear out so I dont really consider them an upgrade) My cables began to rust so they are upgraded from the stock and I like the color more.

Seatpost and seat were a must for me because of damage and fit.

I paid 620 for the bike, I'm approximately 1100 into it now and have every intention to continue upgrading this bike over time.

N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Night and Day man. The tower does what a fork is supposed to do and the suntour did what a $60 fork does. That being said, I fell in love with the sport riding that fork and rode it much much harder then its intended to be ridden without it breaking.

Aside from the obvious difference in feel when I ride over something the first thing I noticed was how much easier it was to keep a straight line while going UP or down grades with roots/rocks/etc

Also I dont consider them to be too serious. Aside from the fork everything was necessary for me. Grips, Tires, and Pedals are a must (not to mention tires wear out so I dont really consider them an upgrade) My cables began to rust so they are upgraded from the stock and I like the color more.

Seatpost and seat were a must for me because of damage and fit.

I paid 620 for the bike, I'm approximately 1100 into it now and have every intention to continue upgrading this bike over time.
    That's awesome man! Can you give me more details on your manitou fork? 100/120? Model, price, etc? I'm in the market to replace my stock Suntour xcr fork. Thanks.

mtbr member
    After months of debating going standard offset, Manitou, or paying out the nose for a G2 at MSRP i went with the Manitou Tower Expert 100mm on sale at price point for $299. I just couldn't justify another 200 bucks to give my lbs for a g2 reba. I could have gotten a g2 recon silver but everything I read had the manitou as a better fork and I was willing to put that up against the 3mm of offset difference. I also debated a Manitou Marvel comp from Hong Kong for the same price which would have been a little lighter but too sketched out by the hong kong thing. Rather stick with a company I knew and have Manitou's backing on it (which btw has been excellent, I've emailed them several times while shopping and setting up the fork and I get prompt helpful responses each time)

I dont have enough hours on it yet but I think I actually prefer the 48mm offset so far.

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7
    2013 Trek Mamba here, with "a few" upgrades:
    Bontrager carbon handlebar, personally cut to fit me
    Mavic Crossride wheelset
    Shimano SLX brakes
    SRAM XO rear cassette
    Shimano XT chain
    Was gonna upgrade the fork, but decided to buy the 2014 Fuel EX 7 and put them on that bike instead, since they're better than what comes on it.

29ers Forever
    Hey guys, do you think that an XX1 system would be good on a 2013 Cobia?
    I just recently upgraded the tires and put a 2.35 in the back. Now when I shift into the first front gear, it rubs on the inside of the derailleur.
    Would XX1 be a good investment, or should I still use a front derailleur?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    After months of debating going standard offset, Manitou, or paying out the nose for a G2 at MSRP i went with the Manitou Tower Expert 100mm on sale at price point for $299. I just couldn't justify another 200 bucks to give my lbs for a g2 reba. I could have gotten a g2 recon silver but everything I read had the manitou as a better fork and I was willing to put that up against the 3mm of offset difference. I also debated a Manitou Marvel comp from Hong Kong for the same price which would have been a little lighter but too sketched out by the hong kong thing. Rather stick with a company I knew and have Manitou's backing on it (which btw has been excellent, I've emailed them several times while shopping and setting up the fork and I get prompt helpful responses each time)

I dont have enough hours on it yet but I think I actually prefer the 48mm offset so far.
    Thank you so much for your input!

mtbr member
    Originally ordered a '13 Marlin, changed the order to a '13 Mamba a few weeks later. After many weeks of waiting and several calls, the LBS offered an '12 X-Cal for the price of the Mamba. Was a no brainer! Of course that was a year ago. Put on some Shimano pedals and Bontrager grips. Was not love at first ride. Took hundreds of miles to get broken into the saddle.

At the LBS
    Trek 29er's roll call-shop.jpg

Coming home
    Trek 29er's roll call-coming-home.jpg

Taking a break from the action
    Trek 29er's roll call-p6010060.jpg

Currently on the sidelines after a failed attempt at a new log jumping technique which resulted in a face plant and fractured neck bones. Hopefully a few more weeks of the cervical collar and out on the trails I shall be.
    2012 Trek X-Caliber / 1999 Trek 830 AL

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by zipguns View Post
    Originally ordered a '13 Marlin, changed the order to a '13 Mamba a few weeks later. After many weeks of waiting and several calls, the LBS offered an '12 X-Cal for the price of the Mamba. Was a no brainer! Of course that was a year ago. Put on some Shimano pedals and Bontrager grips. Was not love at first ride. Took hundreds of miles to get broken into the saddle.

At the LBS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At The Shop.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	825933

Coming home

Name:	Coming Home.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	825936

Taking a break from the action

Name:	P6010060.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	825937

Currently on the sidelines after a failed attempt at a new log jumping technique which resulted in a face plant and fractured neck bones. Hopefully a few more weeks of the cervical collar and out on the trails I shall be.
    I would have bought a '12 X-Cal from my LBS if it was closer in price to a 2013 Cobia. I probably have been able to make up another $50, but not $100.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New Subscriber

I'm happy to say that I've been on my Mamba for 9 months and am totally loving it. I rode it stock for about a month (150 miles) before I started the mods. I first added the Crank Brothers 50/50 2 platform pedals. I still consider myself a noob and I like the mental comfort of knowing I can plant my foot quickly if necessary. I upgraded to the middle sized Evoke 3 saddle with Ti rails, this saddle will travel with me forever. The Ergon GP1 grips were a nice upgrade too. The best change I made was going tubless. The Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires at 24 psi have given me so much more confidence in all aspects of the trails. I've been on them since the beginning of the summer. With all the rain we've gotten here, the traction and grip have been stellar. Really thin side-walls, so you have to be johnny on the spot with your pressure. Even after 2 days of not checking the pressure, it'll go down a couple of pounds to where I don't like it. I went with the Garmin 510 computer and HRM. It's nice for me to keep track of my laps at the park, and it's cool to see my weird routes I end up taking on the Everglades Levee trails.

Even with all this love, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Stache 6 pretty soon. Does anybody have any experience in approximate trade in value of 1 year old Mambas? It will go back to bone stock for the trade in.

N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Go to Trek's site and ask for a quote. They wanted approx $200 for my 2 months old Wahoo purchased at $529. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCsMamba View Post
    I'm happy to say that I've been on my Mamba for 9 months and am totally loving it. I rode it stock for about a month (150 miles) before I started the mods. I first added the Crank Brothers 50/50 2 platform pedals. I still consider myself a noob and I like the mental comfort of knowing I can plant my foot quickly if necessary. I upgraded to the middle sized Evoke 3 saddle with Ti rails, this saddle will travel with me forever. The Ergon GP1 grips were a nice upgrade too. The best change I made was going tubless. The Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires at 24 psi have given me so much more confidence in all aspects of the trails. I've been on them since the beginning of the summer. With all the rain we've gotten here, the traction and grip have been stellar. Really thin side-walls, so you have to be johnny on the spot with your pressure. Even after 2 days of not checking the pressure, it'll go down a couple of pounds to where I don't like it. I went with the Garmin 510 computer and HRM. It's nice for me to keep track of my laps at the park, and it's cool to see my weird routes I end up taking on the Everglades Levee trails.

Even with all this love, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Stache 6 pretty soon. Does anybody have any experience in approximate trade in value of 1 year old Mambas? It will go back to bone stock for the trade in.
    How nice is the tubeless? I have been thinking about doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by N1K View Post
    Go to Trek's site and ask for a quote. They wanted approx $200 for my 2 months old Wahoo purchased at $529. Good luck.
    You can trade in your bikes?! How?!
    '13 Trek Mamba/shimano-m780/pro taper carbon 720 AM bars/
    '13 Trek Madone 4.5/shimano ultegra 6700.

N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There's a link at Trek's site. I think under 'contact us'. After you enter your info and the condition of your bike, they will call you with a trade in quote.

mtbr member

More action here...

This thread has more action than the Stache' specific one so I thought I would spam here too...

2013 Stache 8.

Current Modifications:

• Azonic 420 pedals

RaceFace:

• Next Carbon Bars
    • Turbine 70mm stem
    • SixC Carbon I Beam seat post
    • Atlas I Beam seat

About 200 miles in in just about 2 months and I love it so far. It has handled everything I have thrown at it including myself over the bars several times!

Next change is to ditch the front derailleur and install the RaceFace narrow/wide 34 tooth single front ring as well as go tubeless. Also strongly considering going to the Canfield Bros. Crampon Ultimate Magnesium's in place of the 420's. Goal is to get the bike to the mid to low 25lb range before the wheel upgrade. For wheels I am looking at the Mavic CrossFlex SLR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks N1K. I'll do that and keep it in my back pocket when I head to the bike shop. If the LBS hits me at a lower number, I'll pull out that bad boy and see what I can negotiate. After all, I go directly to a Trek Store.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason81 View Post
    How nice is the tubeless? I have been thinking about doing that.
    I totally love the tubeless. Completely changed the bike. Or you could say it completely changed me by giving me a better feel plus the sensation of better grip gives me more confidence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    those stache's sure are pretty! i really wish they had a carbon version with slx parts and shorter back end

mtbr member
    There's a link at Trek's site. I think under 'contact us'. After you enter your info and the condition of your bike, they will call you with a trade in quote.
    cant seem to find this on their website... can you please elaborate.

N1K
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Did a 1x10 conversion on the Mamba and that completes the modding. There is nothing stock left on this thing other than the frame.

120mm built up with good parts , no carbon, but should be very low 27lb or into the 26lb range after the conversion.

banned
    Apr 2009
    that is TIGHT!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks man. Had it out yesterday the clutched RD does very well over rocky sections I'm truly surprised how well it works. Love the simplicity and the roughly 1lb weight loss with the 1x10. It's super quite too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What about uphill? Dont you miss the granny ring? Personally I have a 3x10 and I would only change it either for a 1x10 or 1x11 but I am not sure that I could handle the uphill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    What about uphill? Dont you miss the granny ring? Personally I have a 3x10 and I would only change it either for a 1x10 or 1x11 but I am not sure that I could handle the uphill.
    Your legs have to get used to it. I mean, people ride singlespeeds, right?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    I have a 1x10 with a 34T front ring, slightly larger than the stock middle ring on the Cobia.

Forth Eorlingas!

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast