Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 554
  1. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    Alberto,
    Which Manitou 120mm fork did you put on there? I have a 2013 Mamba and am interested in your experience with the Cobia fork upgrade.
    I dislike the Cobias air fork. I liked my heavy spring'd XC32 with an Argyle damper over either of my friends Cobias which even way over aired are much to soft for my weight (210lbs)

    I needed a fork with compression damping from full soft to lock out not just open/closed.

    Its a Manitou Tower Pro. I havent ridden such a supple fork yet, rebound damping, compression damping, air pressure adjustment, you can even shim it for high speed rebound changes. Very easy to change springs for your weight/riding style, affordable (when on sale) and light! I'll report by Saturday at the latest if I dont get out tomorrow.

    My bike hauler daily is in the shop and Im waiting on my fork pump (arrives today) to start tuning this thing.

  2. #352
    Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Reputation: ChewynMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136

    Upgrade to what though??

    Quote Originally Posted by cbd5600 View Post
    I'd like to hear how the new fork works out for you. I want to eventually swap out the fork on my Cobia and have been kicking around moving up to 120mm.

    My Bike from another thread.
    CB you can extend the reach on the Recon TK to 120. The problem I am finding with mine is the amount of flex. I had a WTB Bronson 2.3 on the front, and even with my 15.5 frame (think shorter would flex less) the tire rubs the inner left of the fork. I have tried everything I could think of to resolve this issue but I had to downsize the front tire. The specs on the Recon Silver TK says it can handle 58mm tire max, and the Bronson was is 56mm. The fork flexed so hard a couple of weeks ago it tossed me over the bar and bent my rotor.

    On a side note I added a 203mm rotor and with all of the fork flex it rubs slightly when I lean hard into right handed turns.

    We have the same rides so if you have any ?'s pm me, I may do the same if you don't mind to see if you can help.

  3. #353
    singletrak junkie
    Reputation: spk1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    86
    I been looking at fox forks G2, on E bay, all of them came off of trek bikes, but i read on a lot of forums that the suggested service on fox forks are every 30 hrs. If you ride in muddy conditions the sanctions wear out fastttt. Lots of people complaining about nothing but problems from seals to creaking in the steer tube. Did you guys look into this and decide to buy new/ different ones? Just curious, i don't know what to do, just know i need/want different forks up front. I ride alot of cool trails and am 270 lbs...Keep the information coming...thanks and good luck with your bikes..
    "do it in the dirt "

  4. #354
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by ChewynMe View Post
    CB you can extend the reach on the Recon TK to 120. The problem I am finding with mine is the amount of flex. I had a WTB Bronson 2.3 on the front, and even with my 15.5 frame (think shorter would flex less) the tire rubs the inner left of the fork. I have tried everything I could think of to resolve this issue but I had to downsize the front tire. The specs on the Recon Silver TK says it can handle 58mm tire max, and the Bronson was is 56mm. The fork flexed so hard a couple of weeks ago it tossed me over the bar and bent my rotor.

    On a side note I added a 203mm rotor and with all of the fork flex it rubs slightly when I lean hard into right handed turns.

    We have the same rides so if you have any ?'s pm me, I may do the same if you don't mind to see if you can help.
    Thank you for the info. I also struggle with the flex on mine as well. When I upgrade stiffness is going to be up there on the list of things I want in a new fork.

    Are you still running the stock wheels?

  5. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    385
    I had a similar problem with my 2009 SID team fork. I had a 2.25 ardent 26" and it rubbed a groove into the arch area from turning left.

    It turns out there was a problem with the lowers being mis-cast. It took a long time to get some action out of the canadian side of sram and my LBS.

    In the end I got new lowers and they still have a slight imbalance to the left.

    (assuming you are talking about left side when you are on your bike)


    Quote Originally Posted by ChewynMe View Post
    CB you can extend the reach on the Recon TK to 120. The problem I am finding with mine is the amount of flex. I had a WTB Bronson 2.3 on the front, and even with my 15.5 frame (think shorter would flex less) the tire rubs the inner left of the fork. I have tried everything I could think of to resolve this issue but I had to downsize the front tire. The specs on the Recon Silver TK says it can handle 58mm tire max, and the Bronson was is 56mm. The fork flexed so hard a couple of weeks ago it tossed me over the bar and bent my rotor.

    On a side note I added a 203mm rotor and with all of the fork flex it rubs slightly when I lean hard into right handed turns.

    We have the same rides so if you have any ?'s pm me, I may do the same if you don't mind to see if you can help.

  6. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    539
    Had a chance to ride the fork today!

    For more technical info or info on air pressures check the Clyde Manitou thread I posted in that.

    For the Trek guys wondering how does adding 20mm of travel feel AND changing the fork offset (non G2) feel?

    Feels awesome. Steer tube was cut shorter than OEM to keep the same bar height. The Manitou with the 20mm TA is STIFF, makes me laugh at what a noodle the XC32 was.

    The slacker HA slows down the steering. The difference in the non G2 fork makes it turn quicker. Overall steering is slightly quicker. It is not sketchy or unstable. It is not twitchy. Within 5 miles I was used to it and going full speed. I had read slacking the HA makes the bike steer slower and push in corners, maybe so if it was a G2 fork but the fork offset IMO negates that. Bike weighs 1lb less; the fork is PLUSH. It doesn't dive under hard braking. I have tons of compression adjustment left for really nasty terrain/bigger jumps.

    Edit-BB height changed approx 1/4" I can't feel it when on the bike.

    You guys will have to do your own research on if you want to add travel to your frames. That's your decision!


  7. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    200
    Thanks for the update. The only problem I have now is convincing my wife I NEED a new fork.

  8. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    40
    would you guys feel comfortable adding how much you purchased yours for?

    thanks!

  9. #359
    Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Reputation: ChewynMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlane View Post
    I had a similar problem with my 2009 SID team fork. I had a 2.25 ardent 26" and it rubbed a groove into the arch area from turning left.

    It turns out there was a problem with the lowers being mis-cast. It took a long time to get some action out of the canadian side of sram and my LBS.

    In the end I got new lowers and they still have a slight imbalance to the left.

    (assuming you are talking about left side when you are on your bike)
    You are dead right! I can't say thanks enough but knowing this I know how to measure myself and let them know. I may be in touch to learn more, if you don't mind.

    Justin
    ****I should ride less and post more****

  10. #360
    Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Reputation: ChewynMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd5600 View Post
    Thank you for the info. I also struggle with the flex on mine as well. When I upgrade stiffness is going to be up there on the list of things I want in a new fork.

    Are you still running the stock wheels?
    No way. I bought a set of Easton Havens. I have the stock wheels but I put 700x35 to ride the paved trails with my GF.

    The havens are great by the way. Super light, and extra strong. I was running 2.2 WTB Bronson's in front but they started rubbing as I me ruined above. It is now in the rear, and I have an Ignigtor in the front ATM. Hoping to get the Recon figured out then switch the two.
    ****I should ride less and post more****

  11. #361
    Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Reputation: ChewynMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    I dislike the Cobias air fork. I liked my heavy spring'd XC32 with an Argyle damper over either of my friends Cobias which even way over aired are much to soft for my weight (210lbs)

    I needed a fork with compression damping from full soft to lock out not just open/closed.

    Its a Manitou Tower Pro. I havent ridden such a supple fork yet, rebound damping, compression damping, air pressure adjustment, you can even shim it for high speed rebound changes. Very easy to change springs for your weight/riding style, affordable (when on sale) and light! I'll report by Saturday at the latest if I dont get out tomorrow.

    My bike hauler daily is in the shop and Im waiting on my fork pump (arrives today) to start tuning this thing.
    I talked with SRAM and you can go up to 220lbs on the Recon Fork. I put it at 220 and check it every week. (I am also 200+)
    ****I should ride less and post more****

  12. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    40
    Owner: dlynes
    Location: Evans, GA
    Bike/Setup: 2012 Trek Mamba all stock
    How long have you owned it: 2 hours
    Thoughts so far: n/a
    Cons so far: n/a

  13. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    539
    Weighed my L Mamba yesterday. 28lbs 7oz.

  14. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1
    Hey guys, I've got a 2012 Trek Mamba with just over 1100 km on it and I'm looking to do a drive train upgrade, I need to replace the rear cassette (and chain,still original and stretched), and I want to go with XT, What exactly do I look for when shopping online? I see some XT 9 speed cassettes out there but is there a certain model number that fits the Mamba? Is it the M770? I'm still a bit of a noob and could use some help.

    Much thanks.

  15. #365
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2
    Newbie checking in here.

    I have a 2012 Trek Mamba. Everything stock except for the tires, I installed some 2.2 Kenda Nevegalls. I was having some trouble with the rear tire rubbing against the front derailleur, especially in the granny gear, but I seem to have fixed it by futzing with the position of the derailleur for a while.

    The Mamba has been a fantastic bike for a beginner. It's gotten me from being a complete newbie to knowing my stuff fairly well. It's a great bike to grow in to.

    I'm looking into purchasing a used 26 full suspension bike, so I can keep up with my group on all the climbs around San Diego. Going to check out a 2008 Fuel ex 8 today. I'll keep you guys posted.

  16. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ncruz408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingercycle View Post
    Hey guys, I've got a 2012 Trek Mamba with just over 1100 km on it and I'm looking to do a drive train upgrade, I need to replace the rear cassette (and chain,still original and stretched), and I want to go with XT, What exactly do I look for when shopping online? I see some XT 9 speed cassettes out there but is there a certain model number that fits the Mamba? Is it the M770? I'm still a bit of a noob and could use some help.

    Much thanks.
    I recently upgraded my rear cassette and have the same model m770. =) As long as it is 9 speed it should be compatible. Just curious y u r changing out the rear cassette? Normally, I would change it only if things break unless u plan on changing the whole system such as crankset, derailuers, chain, cassette shifters etc. Changing parts little by little, you will not hardly notice the difference in performance but changing major components you will especially rotational weight. Im still a noob though so this is just my 2 cents.

  17. #367
    Trips for Kids Denver
    Reputation: twowheelfunman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    416
    Here's my 2012 Rumblefish Elite. I installed a flat carbon bar, ergon grips, forte rubber coated mini bar ends, Purgatory 2.4 front and Captain 2.2. It's close to an all mountain bike(imo) I just want to install a 34mm stanction 140mm travel fork.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

  18. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    143
    My 2013 Rumblefish Pro. Love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek 29er's roll call-photo1.jpg  


  19. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy1973 View Post
    My 2013 Rumblefish Pro. Love it
    whats the little mudguard called and where did ya get it?
    My blog! Two wheels and a fat guy Check it out and watch a fat guy use biking as a weight loss tool.

  20. #370
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Nietz View Post
    whats the little mudguard called and where did ya get it?
    It's most likely this
    Bender Fender

    Or this

    Marsh Mud Guard Mountain Bike Guard AM DH XC Brand New for Specialized Trek etc. on eBay!
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

  21. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy1973 View Post
    My 2013 Rumblefish Pro. Love it
    great looking bike1 can't wait to order mine.. what size is that?
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

  22. #372
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    143
    The fender is the mucky nutz bender fender. The bike is a 21 inch

  23. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    25
    Hi Everyone...I'm new to MTB and my awesome, beautiful wife surprised me this Christmas w/ my New Sexy Trek Mamba!!! Thought I'd share a couple pics and say hello since I'm guessing I'll be on here a lot







    Happy 2013

  24. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    92
    Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  25. #375
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ncruz408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    229
    Congrats! Love da color! Where did u get the cap?

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Re-Roll Call
    By motobutane in forum Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 04:17 AM
  2. P36 Roll-call!
    By pisgahproductions in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 06:27 AM
  3. Frostbike Roll Call - Who's Coming and Call to Action
    By Salsa Cycles in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
  4. Roll Call
    By sarge12 in forum Michigan
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
  5. SS Roll Call
    By mergs in forum New Jersey
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 11:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •