Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 601 to 700 of 734
  1. #601
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15
    No prob man. Just called LBS and they said the fork on the Stache 5 is a Manitou Machete Comp, so same as last year.

    I'm actually excited about the Stache 7 colors -- I wanted the 7 based on the specs but was really turned off by the bad render spec sheet saying it had light green lettering. I think the Stache 9.6 looks cool as hell, and this will be similar. LBS also confirmed the black on black coloring for the 7.

  2. #602
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4
    I was able to order my ex 9.8 yesterday, shipping week of 8/14.
    It's silver with black lettering. I'm sorta stoked about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism View Post
    My LBS said you will be able to order the Farley's later this month.... any idea on color schemes? Debating between the Farley and the Stache..... I have a Trek SuperFly SS with a 3 inch tire on the front so making me look at the Farley but I hear great things about the Stache. If t he Farley has an option to buy it with 27.5x4 tires.... that would be appealing.
    2006 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    2018 Trek Farley ex 9.8

  3. #603
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Stache is in stock at my LBS
    Looks good



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #604
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    bikes are getting porky. 28.7 w/o which is 29.4lbs with pedals for a hardtail? you can build a bronson or sb6 with a 160 fox 36 on front to come in under 28bs under $5000. while those fat tires do have a bit of cush they won't even hold a candle on a hardtail to the previously mentioned running even a 2.3

  5. #605
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    bikes are getting porky. 28.7 w/o which is 29.4lbs with pedals for a hardtail? you can build a bronson or sb6 with a 160 fox 36 on front to come in under 28bs under $5000. while those fat tires do have a bit of cush they won't even hold a candle on a hardtail to the previously mentioned running even a 2.3

    huh?
    Too Many .

  6. #606
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by brentk701 View Post
    Stache is in stock at my LBS
    Looks good



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice. You prefer that color scheme or the 2017 black/blue?

  7. #607
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by crewe6 View Post
    Nice. You prefer that color scheme or the 2017 black/blue?
    I like that color over the 2017

    But I love my 9.6 color


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #608
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by brentk701 View Post
    I like that color over the 2017

    But I love my 9.6 color


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is the Trek Stache 9.7 2018 still retailing in the $2,999 MSRP?
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

  9. #609
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism View Post
    Is the Trek Stache 9.7 2018 still retailing in the $2,999 MSRP?
    No, they combined the 9.6 and 9.8 to make the 9.7 at $3,499. No carbon rims, but better components

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  10. #610
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15
    Pre-ordered a Stache 7 yesterday. Pretty stoked but still have to wait a month+ for delivery.

  11. #611
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    20
    I just ordered my Stache 7 too. I was told it will be in around September 11 at the latest, but they often ship before that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #612
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    179
    Anyone have pics of the 2018 Farley 9.6? I heard it is charcoal color? I am debating this vs the Stache 9.7....... I saw lots of debates over one vs the other in other threads.... hmmmm.... still not sure which direction I am going to go.
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

  13. #613
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism View Post
    Anyone have pics of the 2018 Farley 9.6? I heard it is charcoal color? I am debating this vs the Stache 9.7....... I saw lots of debates over one vs the other in other threads.... hmmmm.... still not sure which direction I am going to go.
    Two different bikes




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #614
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    179
    I have a Trek Superfly SS with 3.0 in the front and 2.3 in the back so not that much different then the Stache. Making me lean toward the Farley.
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

  15. #615
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism View Post
    I have a Trek Superfly SS with 3.0 in the front and 2.3 in the back so not that much different then the Stache. Making me lean toward the Farley.
    No. Big different in all 3 bikes
    Your SS was a built XC race bike my friend can't run a Ikon 2.35 without it hitting the stays in a 23mm rim
    The Geo is different over a Stache
    Yours and mine stache run a 3" tire have more travel and a little slacker Geo. Made for your more trail aggressive rider

    The Farley is a Fat bike with a 4.5" tire and no suspension (tires are not suspension ).
    They each 3 were built for a purpose. But all 3 can be ridden and enjoyed on a trail.
    One more effective than the other.


    I have though about selling my stache for a Farley but will end up with a Salsa Mukluk instead due to me wanted to bikepack. I can bikepack on a Farley but the mukluk was built for it.

    My wife raced the Fat tire class here. 3" min tire size on her Mukluk. With 3.5" tires.
    Shot wore her out compared to the other 2 girls with 3" tires and FS

    A superfly isn't a stache and a stache isn't a Fat bike


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #616
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by brentk701 View Post
    No. Big different in all 3 bikes
    Your SS was a built XC race bike my friend can't run a Ikon 2.35 without it hitting the stays in a 23mm rim
    The Geo is different over a Stache
    Yours and mine stache run a 3" tire have more travel and a little slacker Geo. Made for your more trail aggressive rider

    The Farley is a Fat bike with a 4.5" tire and no suspension (tires are not suspension ).
    They each 3 were built for a purpose. But all 3 can be ridden and enjoyed on a trail.
    One more effective than the other.


    I have though about selling my stache for a Farley but will end up with a Salsa Mukluk instead due to me wanted to bikepack. I can bikepack on a Farley but the mukluk was built for it.

    My wife raced the Fat tire class here. 3" min tire size on her Mukluk. With 3.5" tires.
    Shot wore her out compared to the other 2 girls with 3" tires and FS

    A superfly isn't a stache and a stache isn't a Fat bike


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    what size frame is your Stache?

  17. #617
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    what size frame is your Stache?
    19.5 2017 9.6


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #618
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    what size frame is your Stache?
    I have a 19.5 aluminum frame for sale. I ended up building a 29+ wheelset and put a suspension fork on my Farley and am using that instead.

  19. #619
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    I have a 19.5 aluminum frame for sale. I ended up building a 29+ wheelset and put a suspension fork on my Farley and am using that instead.
    Actually my thought too so yesterday I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 2018 Trek Farley 9.6. Only 3 left in the country in 17.5. TREK 2018 line up - Your wishes/expectations-image001.png
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

  20. #620
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V8Interceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    550
    I might need some new shoes soon for my Fuel. Any word on any new Bonti Tires? I'm hoping for a wider SE5.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

  21. #621
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism View Post
    Actually my thought too so yesterday I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 2018 Trek Farley 9.6. Only 3 left in the country in 17.5. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	1151085
    Uhh this round no? Its not even 2018 yet.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  22. #622
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    464
    Well it sure doesn't look like a 2017 ...

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../1068000-2017/

  23. #623
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,053
    Trek is doing 2 more waves of Farley's. One in sept and one in Oct.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  24. #624
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,803
    my LBS just received 2 x Farley 9.6 in 19.5

    One has my name on it if the price is right
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

  25. #625
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    147
    I've got brand new take off GX Eagle components from a new Slash, including 12spd DM 32t Descendant crankset, Guide RS brakes, Line Pro 35 carbon bar and Line Pro 50mm stem.
    PM me if interested in anything.

  26. #626
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    21
    What is main difference between 2017 & 18 trek Stache ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #627
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2
    My first post here on the forum. I've used the forum for researching bikes and just ordered a 2018 Stache 5 this past Monday. LBS said Trek had three in 18.5 and mine should arrive next Thursday!! My last mountain bike was a 2002 Giant Rainier, and I currently own an Electra Straight 8.

  28. #628
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ekraft84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    Does anyone know the new Pro Caliber HT carbon frame weight? Didn't find anything via search.

    Thanks.

  29. #629
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    What is main difference between 2017 & 18 trek Stache ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was told by my LBS that the 2018 aluminum model's geometry changed a little, and is now the same geometry as the carbon model. The Stache 5 also comes with a dropper post now.

  30. #630
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Trek is doing 2 more waves of Farley's. One in sept and one in Oct.
    My LBS said that Farley 9.6 they had 3 bikes left in 17.5 and that the next round would be in October. I had a trip to VT mid-October so I got one now to play it safe.
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

  31. #631
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    18
    Picked up the 2018 Stache 5 yesterday. Color in person is a darker grey, looks much lighter in pictures. Really nice looking paint job imo.

  32. #632
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,960
    Quote Originally Posted by ekraft84 View Post
    Does anyone know the new Pro Caliber HT carbon frame weight? Didn't find anything via search.

    Thanks.
    17.5" - 1.10 kg / 2.43 lbs per Trek's website.

    My Yahoo must be better than your Google!
    Whining is not a strategy.

  33. #633
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zgxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    17.5" - 1.10 kg / 2.43 lbs per Trek's website.

    My Yahoo must be better than your Google!
    Is the 2018 up? Checked a few hours ago and it was still the 2017 models.

  34. #634
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ekraft84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    17.5" - 1.10 kg / 2.43 lbs per Trek's website.

    My Yahoo must be better than your Google!
    Well done, thank you!

    Is that the 2018 though?

  35. #635
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,696
    2.43 lbs is the weight for the SL frame. The non-SL Carbon is listed at 3.3 lbs, and the alloy is 4.4 lbs. All 17.5" size.

  36. #636
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,960
    No changes on the Procaliber frame for 18.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  37. #637
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ekraft84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    No changes on the Procaliber frame for 18.
    Thanks. That's 200-300 grams heavier than other carbon frames, but I've heard a few racers locally say it's worth the added weight.

  38. #638
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by crewe6 View Post
    Picked up the 2018 Stache 5 yesterday. Color in person is a darker grey, looks much lighter in pictures. Really nice looking paint job imo.
    What fork does it have?

  39. #639
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    18
    TREK 2018 line up - Your wishes/expectations-st.jpg

  40. #640
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Pre the Trek Rep. no Slash or Remedy 9.9 his year.

    A new WSD fuel is being released also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  41. #641
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by ekraft84 View Post
    Thanks. That's 200-300 grams heavier than other carbon frames, but I've heard a few racers locally say it's worth the added weight.
    Oh god yes. It's still a pound lighter than the lightest fs options. I'm not sure about everybody but fatigue is one of the biggest killers for myself. Anything you can do to keep that frame more compliant and less punishing on the body the better

  42. #642
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by crewe6 View Post
    Picked up the 2018 Stache 5 yesterday. Color in person is a darker grey, looks much lighter in pictures. Really nice looking paint job imo.
    Can you post pics of the 5 ? Thx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #643
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    21
    Anyone have a picture of the 2018 Stache 7?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  44. #644
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    quick note. i picked up an amazing deal on an 18.5 fuel ex 9.9, 2017 demo bikes. paid 3900, yes it's used but seriously. that was an insane price and i get the frame warranty. no i'm not kidding. anyway, it's slightly heavier than stated at 25.6lbs which may be part of the weight increase in the 2018 fuel 9.9. a couple parts are heavier on the 18 AND the 17 was either weighed on a very small frame or was a couple ounces off to start when production began

    edit. i could be off. this thing has xr4 team issue tlr tires, i don't think that was the stock spec when the bike launched

  45. #645
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BikeMrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    41
    Ordered a Stache 7 from Trek Raleigh today. Still a mid-September expected delivery date. Soooo excited to replace my old a$$ Trek 6500 that is literally falling apart on every run (stripped a crank arm off yesterday, busted spokes last month)

  46. #646
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Can you post pics of the 5 ? Thx
    I second this, really considering getting one next month.

  47. #647
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V8Interceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    550
    [QUOTE=BikeMrown;13288511]Ordered a Stache 7 from Trek Raleigh today. Still a mid

    If you bought your bike from Trek Raleigh (off of Durant), you chose a great shop to buy a bike from! Their service & support is second to none. That's where I got my Stache & Fuel.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

  48. #648
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Anyone have a picture of the 2018 Stache 7?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #649
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BikeMrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    If you bought your bike from Trek Raleigh (off of Durant), you chose a great shop to buy a bike from! Their service & support is second to none. That's where I got my Stache & Fuel.

    That's the one! Pryde Dotterer has always been a great source of info (though I probably drink more beers with him at The Hop Yard than I ride or shop MTB). They've handled a lot of repairs and maintenance plus 3 bike purchases for my boys. I'm already planning out my purchase & excuses for buying a Fuel EX in the next year or two.
    Last edited by BikeMrown; 08-12-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: a

  50. #650
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V8Interceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    550
    Stache & Fuel go together like peas & carrots! Now I'm thinking about going mid-fat too.

  51. #651
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    Stache & Fuel go together like peas & carrots! Now I'm thinking about going mid-fat too.
    Fuel is also mid fat.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  52. #652
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnberr0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by brentk701 View Post




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that the 2018 5? Or am I confused?

  53. #653
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jnberr0 View Post
    Is that the 2018 5? Or am I confused?
    I was thrown off at first to. Im pretty sure that is the Stache 5. The RD is a Deore on this bike which is a 5 according to the specs. Still a good looking bike though.

  54. #654
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    50
    My wish, which looks like is not going to come true, was the Remedy 8 with XT build. I'm super bummed that the you can't get shimano on any of the Remedys this year.

  55. #655
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonx View Post
    Pre-ordered a Stache 7 yesterday. Pretty stoked but still have to wait a month+ for delivery.
    Is it the 2018 Stache 7? What color is it?

  56. #656
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BikeMrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekWarMachine View Post
    Is it the 2018 Stache 7? What color is it?
    2018 Stache 7 is only available in Dnister Black with glossy black lettering. Basically, last year's 9.6 paint job: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/stache/stache-9-6/p/2024000-2017/?colorCode=black

  57. #657
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekWarMachine View Post
    Is it the 2018 Stache 7? What color is it?
    Yeah, 2018 Stache 7. The body is Matte Dnister Black with a blacker Trek logo. It seems to be the exact coloring of the 2017 9.6.

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../2024000-2017/

  58. #658
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3
    I looked at the 2018 stache 7 on my Lbs computer and I remember it being more of a dark metallic charcoal color. Not like last years 9.6. I could be wrong though as I going off memory. Here is an interesting link I posted in the official stache thread. Title says it all
    The New 2018 Trek 1120, a Bikepacking Stache - BIKEPACKING.com

  59. #659
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    The stache Geo change
    Alum did change to match the carbon for 2018



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  60. #660
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    20


    What I received from Trek (in June) says the Stache 7 color is matte Dniester black/matte green light. I've not seen one in person though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  61. #661
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by petejupp View Post
    My personal wish is the availability of a completely new 29er Trail-/Enduro Hardtail. Light, ultrafast, carbon frame, dropper post, at least 130 mm of travel, wide rims and tires with good potential.
    I know there´s already the Stache, but I wish for something smaller, no plus-tires, more like a "normal" hardtail but with aggressive downhill capabilities.!
    I totally agree. Carbon hardtail light enough to race XC but with all-mountain geometry and at least 120mm fork. Plus, the sliding dropouts used on the stache for SS option. Similar to Canfield EPO (no SS and not-boost) or Santa Cruz Chameleon if it had a carbon frame option.

  62. #662
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    245
    Might be nice to have a Stache option sold not with 3.0 tires but with more "normal" 29 x 2.4-2.6 tires. Stache frame with modern more slack geometry is nice, but not everyone wants full plus. The other hardtails offered are too XC-race oriented

  63. #663
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    That sounds like a stache really

    Yeah it could use a little slacker HA.
    Throw a 130 fork on it
    Throw some 2.6" tires on it boom

    My buddies 9.8 is a 19lb SS and a little over 20lbs with his eagle. Very XC racing capable




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  64. #664
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by brentk701 View Post
    That sounds like a stache really
    Yeah it could use a little slacker HA.
    Throw a 130 fork on it
    Throw some 2.6" tires on it boom
    My buddies 9.8 is a 19lb SS and a little over 20lbs with his eagle. Very XC racing capable
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I like your thinking but there's no "regular" 29er option of the Stache. Sure, I could build one up from scratch but that would cost a fortune ($1579 for the frame, $700+ for fork, $500+ drivetrain, etc. etc.). Also, someone in the forum warned me that the Stache with regular 29er wheelset would suffer from significant BB-drop. That's why 27.5+ bikes are more compatible swapping in 29er wheels (Santa Cruz Chameleon comes to mind). Just not seeing that type of bike from Trek yet. Seems they're missing that arrow in the quiver for now.

  65. #665
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35

    TREK 2018 line up - Your wishes/expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
    Yeah, I like your thinking but there's no "regular" 29er option of the Stache. Sure, I could build one up from scratch but that would cost a fortune ($1579 for the frame, $700+ for fork, $500+ drivetrain, etc. etc.). Also, someone in the forum warned me that the Stache with regular 29er wheelset would suffer from significant BB-drop. That's why 27.5+ bikes are more compatible swapping in 29er wheels (Santa Cruz Chameleon comes to mind). Just not seeing that type of bike from Trek yet. Seems they're missing that arrow in the quiver for now.
    Everyone and their BB drop
    Trek states it's a 27.5+ mid Fat, 29er and 29er plus

    My buddy has no problems with BB drop on 29x2.1" tires.
    Even with 3" tires I can smack a pedal. Shit happens when you ride in rock or ride lazy.

    I didn't say build it from the ground up. I actually didn't say build anything. Buy it in 29plus. Build up a set for 29x2.4 or 2.6




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  66. #666
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    have you guys really timed the fat slack hardtails? i was riding bachelor the other day and the hardtail guys were all slooooow. i totally get why. keeping the back end in contact with the ground at speed. there is a lot of volcanic rock and sand up there. start bouncing around on the rocks and going down becomes likely. the fuel ex has always been one of my favs. you can XC it, you can 27.5 mid fat, 29er , very much a one quiver bike and faster than the slack HT bikes. i own two bikes now, 2017 fuel ex 9.9 and 2017 bronson cc with a pretty solid enduro setup. new dpx2 shock, 36/160 fork, xtr etc. unless i get a session for full blown DH i feel like i have my bases covered with just these two bikes. i don't even see HT frames making sense anymore and unless you're doing pro xc the 4" bikes loose very little weight over this fuel i have. the need to have 3-4 bikes like i use to just isn't there anymore

  67. #667
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    have you guys really timed the fat slack hardtails? i was riding bachelor the other day and the hardtail guys were all slooooow. i totally get why. keeping the back end in contact with the ground at speed. there is a lot of volcanic rock and sand up there. start bouncing around on the rocks and going down becomes likely. the fuel ex has always been one of my favs. you can XC it, you can 27.5 mid fat, 29er , very much a one quiver bike and faster than the slack HT bikes. i own two bikes now, 2017 fuel ex 9.9 and 2017 bronson cc with a pretty solid enduro setup. new dpx2 shock, 36/160 fork, xtr etc. unless i get a session for full blown DH i feel like i have my bases covered with just these two bikes. i don't even see HT frames making sense anymore and unless you're doing pro xc the 4" bikes loose very little weight over this fuel i have. the need to have 3-4 bikes like i use to just isn't there anymore
    I did some runs on a trail in Flagstaff this last weekend in my Stache. It was sluggish.

    I tested a fuel ex8 plus on a different small DH section. Not trying as 4 secs faster than my stache.
    I'm waiting for Trek to get off their ass and update the site so I can see the fuel range of fuels. After that. My stache may go away.
    My procal is my XC race bike

    So I see your point


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  68. #668
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    .....the fuel ex has always been one of my faves.....i don't even see HT frames making sense anymore and unless you're doing pro xc
    I hear ya, the Fuel EX is awesome. And I've got a new Niner RIP 9 RDO that is light for long travel and pretty much awesome at everything I've thrown at it.

    But I also want a second bike and I want that second bike to be a simple hardtail. I've had bearing issues in the past with duel-suspension bikes so I like the piece of mind knowing my second bike won't risk having any issues like that. Also, hardtail is better if I'm going to play around with single-speed.

    I agree a lot of full suspension bikes can do it all really well these days, but there's still a place for hardtails as a second bike and simpler / higher reliability.

  69. #669
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    19
    Just picked up my 2018 Farley EX 9.8 with custom 29er plus wheels and 3.0 WTB rubbers.TREK 2018 line up - Your wishes/expectations-20170817_193841.jpg

  70. #670
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrknight View Post
    Just picked up my 2018 Farley EX 9.8 with custom 29er plus wheels and 3.0 WTB rubbers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170817_193841.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1152847
    Nicely done That thing looks fun!

  71. #671
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrknight View Post
    Just picked up my 2018 Farley EX 9.8 with custom 29er plus wheels and 3.0 WTB rubbers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170817_193841.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1152847
    That just looks odd.

    How does it ride?
    Too Many .

  72. #672
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    19
    Took the Farley out this morning for a 23kms ride at my local trail (called bent rims). It rode like a monster truck. Bulldoze over all the rocks, roots and logs but the climb was heavy compared to my Yeti SB5 and SB6. Some of the very technical sections where the SB5 or SB6 couldn't go over. The Farley float right over them. Going down hit it just float over all the big rocks with ease. Definitely made for the technical trails in my area. Can't wait for winter when I put on the 27.5 3.8 or the 26 4.8 on. For now 29er on 3.0 will do.

    TREK 2018 line up - Your wishes/expectations-20170819_081739.jpg

  73. #673
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V8Interceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    550
    Looks like there's going to be some XR4 2.6 Tires coming to at Trek Shop near you. No word yet on the SE5's. Seems like these tires get so much love from the press, you'd think they'd offer a wider tire than the 2.3.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

  74. #674
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    ? i have 29x2.55 xr4's

    are these rare or something? figured they were common. i bought a used ex factory pro bike so i suppose it's possible they aren't everywhere.

  75. #675
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrknight View Post
    Just picked up my 2018 Farley EX 9.8 with custom 29er plus wheels and 3.0 WTB rubbers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170817_193841.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1152847
    bud that bike looks really Interesting and fun. I'd love to make a run on that thing! Thanks for the update, I was curious about how it performed

  76. #676
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrknight View Post
    Just picked up my 2018 Farley EX 9.8 with custom 29er plus wheels and 3.0 WTB rubbers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170817_193841.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1152847
    Nice!
    Does the red compression knob on the fork clear the frame when the bars are turned all the way to the right?

  77. #677
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Nice!
    Does the red compression knob on the fork clear the frame when the bars are turned all the way to the right?
    Yes, it clears the bottom of the frame and it has a small plastic protection cover on the frame as well as an added protection.

  78. #678
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrknight View Post
    Just picked up my 2018 Farley EX 9.8 with custom 29er plus wheels and 3.0 WTB rubbers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170817_193841.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1152847
    are there any issues with hub spacing? could i get a farley 9.8 and swap over my stache wheels?

  79. #679
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    76
    Instead of the raceface next sl crank, has anyone fathomed going with the xx1 carbon crank? wouldnt it pretty much be a direct swap with the gx crank?

  80. #680
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    are there any issues with hub spacing? could i get a farley 9.8 and swap over my stache wheels?
    No,

    Stache 110/148
    Farley 150/197
    Too Many .

  81. #681
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    Instead of the raceface next sl crank, has anyone fathomed going with the xx1 carbon crank? wouldnt it pretty much be a direct swap with the gx crank?
    yes, in fact i have a take off from a fuel 9.9 i'm going to be selling really quick. probably $200. they weigh 480g

    xx1 and next are extremely comparable, xx1 just means you can use your existing pf92 BB

  82. #682
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    205
    only wish - no more sram brakes

  83. #683
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
    only wish - no more sram brakes
    Don't know about that, my SRAM RSC brakes have been the most reliable & consistent brakes I've ever had after years of running XT's.

  84. #684
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cuyuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
    only wish - no more sram brakes
    What's the matter with your SRAM brakes? I've found the Level TLs to work extremely well on my Farley EX8, just put a pair on my son's Framed Minnesota (replace the BB5's). He's 6' 4" and 225 and they are likewise excellent for aggressive singletrack.

  85. #685
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    35
    Sram suck in the heat.
    Now they have gotten better after they figured out what the problem was. The big thing now is getting a set that have been updated and not have to go through the sticky lever crap

    I personally have had 2 seats fail and my father in laws fail


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  86. #686
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cuyuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    385
    Interesting. This is Minnesota, so riding in extreme heat would be rare. As to sticky levers...not seeing it yet. From my perspective, SRAM brakes are excellent.

  87. #687
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    It isn't just ambient heat. It's line heat. A good downhill rally raises fluid temp. Sram updated the 2017 line to address this at some point. Personally I still lean on xtr trail but I'm also doing a warranty on the guide ultimates. I told sram I would give them an honest shot first. What actually took a minute to find is a separate mount clamp for xx1 eagle shifters. Apparently it's different

  88. #688
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    It isn't just ambient heat. It's line heat. A good downhill rally raises fluid temp. Sram updated the 2017 line to address this at some point. Personally I still lean on xtr trail but I'm also doing a warranty on the guide ultimates. I told sram I would give them an honest shot first. What actually took a minute to find is a separate mount clamp for xx1 eagle shifters. Apparently it's different
    No, it was ambient heat and line heat that caused the main problem. verified by SRAM.

    The pistons where made by a 3rd party off a older mold. They were made too large. So when it got hot they stuck.

    My Guides on my Slash did it with anything over 90degs out side, same with my wifes on her fat bike that's brand new,
    SRAM replaced the pistons on her bike at Whiskey off road race. We have tested them on temps at about 110 outside. Been running good after they replaced the pistons.
    I've have my XT's and NEVER have had a problem
    Too Many .

  89. #689
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    No, it was ambient heat and line heat that caused the main problem. verified by SRAM.

    The pistons where made by a 3rd party off a older mold. They were made too large. So when it got hot they stuck.

    My Guides on my Slash did it with anything over 90degs out side, same with my wifes on her fat bike that's brand new,
    SRAM replaced the pistons on her bike at Whiskey off road race. We have tested them on temps at about 110 outside. Been running good after they replaced the pistons.
    I've have my XT's and NEVER have had a problem
    Rofl. Says no then directly says what I just did. This fourm. .....

  90. #690
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BXCc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    ? i have 29x2.55 xr4's

    are these rare or something? figured they were common. i bought a used ex factory pro bike so i suppose it's possible they aren't everywhere.
    Not really. I got one from my LBS but the packaging states 2.4. They have a few on the self that way. And once mounted on the 29mm inner width rim, it measured roughly 2.4. Try measuring it and see what you get. I would be surprised if you get 2.55.

  91. #691
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    Not really. I got one from my LBS but the packaging states 2.4. They have a few on the self that way. And once mounted on the 29mm inner width rim, it measured roughly 2.4. Try measuring it and see what you get. I would be surprised if you get 2.55.
    Exact same. At 30psi they are 2.4" on a 24mm Id rim.

  92. #692
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BXCc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    Exact same. At 30psi they are 2.4" on a 24mm Id rim.
    What's really odd is the package has 29x2.55 printed on it but Trek slaps a 2.4 sticker over the 2.55 before it ships to the shops.

  93. #693
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    24
    Would love to see a Slash 9 RSL....same concept as the Remedy in 2017, aluminium frame and race specs....

  94. #694
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    What's really odd is the package has 29x2.55 printed on it but Trek slaps a 2.4 sticker over the 2.55 before it ships to the shops.
    and we get on maxxis for making 2.3s that are 2.25 lol

    i like the tire for trail. it'a a fast roller. traction is down vs a DHF 3c terra but it rolls a hell of a lot better. i'm kind of looking for a happy medium. may try a nobby nic trailstar front / pacestar rear. those 2.35's also measure 2.4 so it's apples to apples size wise. merlin has the trailstar compound on closeout for 43 and i already have a 2.35 pacestar that's only a month old i pulled off a different bike i sold

  95. #695
    Master Gardener
    Reputation: Velokid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,347
    New Bike Day again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  96. #696
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    Rofl. Says no then directly says what I just did. This fourm. .....
    I typed one thing and thought another

    Ambient temp was the main problem. line temp per them only was a problem on a lot of brake usage.

    Without even using our brakes here in AZ, She couldn't ride her bike just removing it out of the garage
    Too Many .

  97. #697
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cuyuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    It isn't just ambient heat. It's line heat. A good downhill rally raises fluid temp. Sram updated the 2017 line to address this at some point. Personally I still lean on xtr trail but I'm also doing a warranty on the guide ultimates. I told sram I would give them an honest shot first. What actually took a minute to find is a separate mount clamp for xx1 eagle shifters. Apparently it's different
    Got it. SRAM brakes ≠ downhill rally. Fortunately for me that day will never come. Excellent for my purposes so far.

  98. #698
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1 View Post
    New Bike Day again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9.8?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  99. #699
    Master Gardener
    Reputation: Velokid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,347
    Yes- third year in a row on a Fuel EX. This time I went with the carbon 21.5" instead of alloy 23".


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  100. #700
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1 View Post
    Yes- third year in a row on a Fuel EX. This time I went with the carbon 21.5" instead of alloy 23".


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How tall are you?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Any 2018 Trek Top Fuel news?
    By curtlo-dork in forum Trek
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-30-2017, 12:49 PM
  2. Apart from World Peace... Wishes for 2014?
    By rockerc in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 02:20 PM
  3. 4.2.0 Observations and wishes.
    By gmats in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
  4. Who's Got Two Thumbs And Wishes He Could Make INTERBIKE?
    By Obi in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM
  5. enjoyable late december wishes to everyone
    By cactuscorn in forum Turner
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 10:39 AM

Members who have read this thread: 903

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •