XXIX

Trainers? with ABP rear axle setup

Who uses indoor trainers and did you have any problems connecting the bike to the trainer. The ABP is a little different than the standard qr setup on road bikes. Im looking get a trainer in a few weeks and Im concerned about the setup. Looking at getting the blackburn Mag 6 to help prep for some endurance races next year.

Name:  0100184.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  23.6 KB

mtbr member
    Tag

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a Cyclops trainer that I mount my Top Fuel on. Contacted Trek to get a special skewer, can't remember the part number but works great. Contact Trek for your part number.
    dm

Ride More, Whine Less

Trainers? with ABP rear axle setup

If you have 26" wheels, you are going to need a fluid trainer with adjustable resistance. I don't believe you will get enough resistance. A 29er might be okay. You will need a slick for the rear too.

Another option I would be to try to find a beater road bike that fits you for the trainer. It may be cheaper than a new skewer from trek. Also, road riding will make you stronger off road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just bought a Trek Superfly FS 9 and heard it won't work with my Cyclops Fluid Pro, but it doesn't matter a lot to me. I plan to use my old Specialized Rockhopper with a slick for the trainer. Then I don't have to worry about swapping out tires on days nice enough to ride outside.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

XXIX
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    If you have 26" wheels, you are going to need a fluid trainer with adjustable resistance. I don't believe you will get enough resistance. A 29er might be okay. You will need a slick for the rear too.

Another option I would be to try to find a beater road bike that fits you for the trainer. It may be cheaper than a new skewer from trek. Also, road riding will make you stronger off road.
    I have a 29er with a set of big apples on a old set of wheels for riding around with the kids. The problem with road riding is I dont have the time. Most of my workouts are at night or when Im home with the kids so a trainer is a must. Im am going to look for a beater road bike though and set it up with flat bars and grips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You dont need a special skewer. Simply pop off the funky end, and install a normal skewer. The only think holding that funky end on is an oring. When your done, place a little bit of lube on in, and itll pop right back into the groove.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    You dont need a special skewer. Simply pop off the funky end, and install a normal skewer. The only think holding that funky end on is an oring. When your done, place a little bit of lube on in, and itll pop right back into the groove.
    Well, they actually do make special trainer skewers. The ends are shaped differently so that they hold steady in the trainer cups. I've ruined two skewers that didn't quite fit the trainer properly.