mtbr member

Trailer/jogger suggestions for 4300 DISC?

Hey, I've been searching around for a decent trailer to carry my little girl in. Preferrably a two seater (got a boy on the way). The problem I've had in my search so far is the hitch, or the part where it hooks to my bike. I'm having a hard time finding one that fits just right. The disc brake is one problem getting in the way a little, because I can't push the attachment close enough in to the middle of the chain stay and top stay (not chain side obviously) to make it snug. .

Anyway, I haven't actually looked at a Trek trailer yet, but plan on it. Do you think they might fit better than the ones I've looked at? (I've only looked at a couple, Schwinn, and instep. yeah, cheapos.)

I'd love any suggestions you have for bike trailers that would fit my 4300 DISC. Unless you know where I can buy different hitch kits for different trailers! That would work too.
    All the nice ones brand new are like $400 or more, so I'm looking for a used one for around $150 or $200.
    Thanks!
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

Double-metric mtb man
    If you can find a used Chariot, you can upgrade it to their newer, skewer mounted hitch for about $40. Ir if the trailer you have has a 1" square aluminum towing arm, the hitch should work on it too. I went this route when I fabricated my own utility trailer.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    If you can find a used Chariot, you can upgrade it to their newer, skewer mounted hitch for about $40. Ir if the trailer you have has a 1" square aluminum towing arm, the hitch should work on it too. I went this route when I fabricated my own utility trailer.
    Thanks, I'll take a look into that.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

Double-metric mtb man
    Just make sure you talk to your Trek dealer first, though....Mine says hooking up a trailer to my bike will void the warranty.

mtbr member
    Just make sure you talk to your Trek dealer first, though....Mine says hooking up a trailer to my bike will void the warranty.
    Ha ha, oops, that's already been done. I've been borrowing one for the last few weeks. But how long are the warranty's usually anyway? I've had the bike for about 2 years. And actually, don't you usually have to fill out a warranty card or something to get it? I don't remember filling out anything. I'm sure the LBS I bought it from probably would help me get it honored if I needed, but I thought they were usually only a year or so.

mtbr member
    Lifetime warranty on frames, and the instep at Target has a skewer bracket that works great on my wifes hardtail with disc brakes, costs $100, and is actually pretty nice. You just take the skewer off, slide the skewer through this cup thingie, then re-install it on the bike. The bracket hangs down from the frame and does not get in the way of anything. Perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblast
    Lifetime warranty on frames, and the instep at Target has a skewer bracket that works great on my wifes hardtail with disc brakes, costs $100, and is actually pretty nice. You just take the skewer off, slide the skewer through this cup thingie, then re-install it on the bike. The bracket hangs down from the frame and does not get in the way of anything. Perfect.
    Lifetime, sweet, until I hooked up that trailer! Anyway, I've seen the instep kind at target and just thought that it would be getter to get a better brand, albeit used, but to pay a little bit more for a used but decent brand. Any opinions on that? Would the instep brand be ok, or would I be better off buying used?

Double-metric mtb man
    I've been told that pulling a trailer with certain Trek bikes, regardless of the maker of the trailer, will void the warranty, including the frame warranty.

mtbr member
    I've been told that pulling a trailer with certain Trek bikes, regardless of the maker of the trailer, will void the warranty, including the frame warranty.
    Well, then either way, the damage is done, because it's pretty obvious I've pulled a trailer on this bike (the paint/stickers are peeled up pretty obviously there). But even if it wasn't, I don't think I'd let that stop me. I don't own another bike to pull it with, and I'm not really hard enough on the frame that I would be needing warranty service anyway. (I know, now that I've said that, I'll need service tomorrow.) But really, what does the TREK warranty cover, just the frame? So it's pretty much if any of the joints or part of the frame breaks? Just curious.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Double-metric mtb man
    The warranty is lifetime on the frame (the bike's lifetime, not yours). If in "normal" riding, as they see the bike being used for, you get a failure that cannot be considered "wear and tear" then they will deal with it.

When it comes to trailers, they don't consider that "normal" use for some reason...

mtbr member
    The warranty is lifetime on the frame (the bike's lifetime, not yours). If in "normal" riding, as they see the bike being used for, you get a failure that cannot be considered "wear and tear" then they will deal with it.

When it comes to trailers, they don't consider that "normal" use for some reason...
    Yeah, I assumed as much. Those dirty rotten...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I got a Trek Doodlebug last year, which seems to be built with pretty decent quality. Makes a good two seat for my little kids. Attaches to my mountain bike easily with a special skewer that comes with the trailer.

Earlier I used an old Burley trailer that attached with a plastic piece that wedged in between the chainstay and the seat stay. It wouldn't even fit on the fat tubing of my Klein; I had to use my road bike which really wasn't geared low enough for the job. The skewer type trailer hitch is a vast improvement and avoids any wear to your bike frame finish. That warranty issue makes no sense; I'm lot more likely to break a frame doing drops riding off road than I am towing my kids gently on a paved road.

The Doodlebug wasn't cheap but I know I can sell it next year and get most of my money back; check Ebay - used bike trailers seem to get good bids. Same with kid backpack carriers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenpaddler
    I got a Trek Doodlebug last year, which seems to be built with pretty decent quality. Makes a good two seat for my little kids. Attaches to my mountain bike easily with a special skewer that comes with the trailer.

Earlier I used an old Burley trailer that attached with a plastic piece that wedged in between the chainstay and the seat stay. It wouldn't even fit on the fat tubing of my Klein; I had to use my road bike which really wasn't geared low enough for the job. The skewer type trailer hitch is a vast improvement and avoids any wear to your bike frame finish. That warranty issue makes no sense; I'm lot more likely to break a frame doing drops riding off road than I am towing my kids gently on a paved road.

The Doodlebug wasn't cheap but I know I can sell it next year and get most of my money back; check Ebay - used bike trailers seem to get good bids. Same with kid backpack carriers.
    Thanks man, that's some good info. I'll look into that.

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenpaddler
    That warranty issue makes no sense; I'm lot more likely to break a frame doing drops riding off road than I am towing my kids gently on a paved road.
    I don't make the warranty rules, I am just passing along the warranty info I've been given at two Trek / GF dealers.... May be worth dropping Trek/GF a line to find out for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007

About warranty

You made me worried for a second guys. I'm going to order a Fuel EX9 and I do alot of biking with my two kids in a Chariot Carrier CX2.

I emailed Trek and got the following answer back:

Thanks for your e-mail Michael. It is not true that the warranty will
    be voided if you use a child trailer. The Fuel Ex9 is a ZR9000 frame
    and the bicycle is compatible to the child trailer hitch that comes with
    the GoBug trailers. You should not have any problems attaching this
    trailer if interested. Let me know if you have any further questions.
    BTW take a deep look into Chariot Carrier. I believe those are the best there is. The CX is their top of the line. It's pricey, but really really nice.

Good luck!

Double-metric mtb man
    Sgryd, glad to hear that you have the green light. I think it depends on the model....My Cake is a no-no because of the carbon seat stays. Better to ask rather than to be sorry later.

Double-metric mtb man
    Here's what I sent to Trek...

I know it is kind of hit and miss depending on the model. I'm wondering if I'd void my warranty if I hauled a trailer with my Cake or if my wife would do the same with her Napa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher Representative
    The only thing that wouldn't be covered is if the trailer caused any breakage or damage.
    So it won't totally void the warranty, but if it breaks something, it ain't covered.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Here's my question:

Does the InStep "skewer cup" work on a frame with "socket-style" (Breezer-style) dropouts?