mtbr member
    Oct 2008

torn between trek fuel and SC Heckler

Hi all looking for a new ride...looking at Trek Fuel ex and Santa Cruz Heckler. I know Heckler is durable...but from what I hear the benefits of the New Fuel are awesome. I am a big guy is the fuel durable?

Fat guy on a bike
    The Heckler is a little more all mountainish. Is that what you want? If so, get a Remedy! No brainer really.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I had an 04 Heckler and have a 08 EX9. I much prefer the ride and handling of the EX. Arguably the best application of a single pivot suspension design vs. the new full floater/evo/ABP which tweaks 4-bar linkage suspension to a new level...even the best single pivot has it's built in problems with pedal bob and brake jack, issues that have been addressed very well by Trek in the new system.

Older & Slower
    May 2006

Currently on a Heckler & thinking 2009 Fuel EX 9

i like my heckler (and rode a bullit for 5-6 yrs before that)...i have a lot of experience on these all mountain-ish single pivots...but now i'm leaning toward all day rides and endurance/marathon races...wondering if the new fuel EX 9 is a better bike for my new riding focus...wondering if i'm missing out...i do know the SC single pivots frames are durable and low maintenance!...i'm wondering if 5" of travel on a 25-26 lb. bike can handle the very few times a year i would want to ride something rough (like downieville, CA)...i know the trek rider that won downieville was on a 30 lb. remedy...but almost all of my rides are so much more mellow...i'm 6'0" tall and 200 lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0