mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Top Fuel Aluminum vs. Top Fuel Carbon Frame

I am considering buying a new Trek Top Fuel. I love my Top Fuel 98 but would like a second bike. Does anyone have any experience between the NEW aluminum Top Fuel frames compared to the carbon offerings? In terms of weight, stiffness, ride quality, etc.

mtbr member
    my 07 "built" Top Fuel 8(highest aluminum) is a little lighter than a carbon Fuel 110 that we had in for service. Trek really did a nice job on the redesign of the aluminum bike. The carbon bike was built up w/ XTR and mine w/ an XO/X9 mix. Only thing lightweight on mine is an Alien aluminum post, no carbon bits. Its just under 27lbs. When I get my new Mavics, it should be alot lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bikewrench any idea how this compares to the new 9.8 or 9.9 though?

mtbr member
    The word on the street is that there has been some probloms with the 07 carbon frame. I have the 8 and it rocks! 23 -24 lbs in race trim depending on the tires.

mtbr member
    The carbon bikes are cracking. They pushed the envelope a little too far in keeping the pivot area light, resulting in some cracking. The carbon Top Fuels are on hold and a redesign in process. A guy at the shop had a 9.8 and it didn't seem that much lighter.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Trek Carbon vs Aluminium

I can't believe this thread! I am deciding between the Trek Fuel 9.0 and Trek 9....it sounds like the $900 more for a potentially crackable frame isn't worth the cash difference. Aluminum it is. Now I have to decide on which paint job to choose from (it's a Project One)

Thanks for the advice!

You got any chocolate?
    Bevarts,

Don't base your decision on a new frame or bike from the input of this forum. Base it on what you feel best with. Any frame can crack. What is nice to know is that Trek usually backs up its warranty on their frames so you should not have an issue should this arise in the future. Talk with the dealer. See if there is an issue with the new carbon frames. Maybe there is a 2006 left around that you could score a huge deal on. Good luck on your new bike. Have fun with the Project One paint schemes!
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    I have a 2004 Trek Fuel 98 (120 OCLV) which weighs 26.5 lbs. In 4 seasons of riding I never had a problem with this bike and only changed the headset, cassette and chain. In 2004 their Trek Fuel 100 was around 24 lbs if I remember correctly.

I just don't understand how come the new top fuel and HT bikes are so "heavy".
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Trek pulled all of the carbon frames from innovatory so I would wait for an 08 frames or just get the aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gambo2166
    Trek pulled all of the carbon frames from innovatory so I would wait for an 08 frames or just get the aluminum frame.
    That's funny. The local Trek dealer had one in stock (9.8) and I was asking about failures and stuff. They told me that the carbon frames NEVER break and these are super nice. I talked about how I had broken the older model Fuels and asked how the new ones compared; he told me they were stronger than ever and not to worry.
    I asked if I could ride it to see the difference between my current bike and this one to which he asked me if I was buying it today. I said no, and he told me to come back when I was serious. If I buy another Fuel it'll be from another shop.

mtbr member
    Well, our Trek rep, for the shop that I wrench at, admitted the problem and stated that a redesign was in progress. And ask your local dealer why most of the team frames have cracked. One of dour part timers is on the devo team and has seen it first hand. I give them huge props for admitting it and taking the proper steps to correct it. Your local dealer would NEVER lie to you to move a defective unit, that he has already paid for and knows that it will be Trek's problem when it breaks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewrench
    Your local dealer would NEVER lie to you to move a defective unit, that he has already paid for and knows that it will be Trek's problem when it breaks.

LMAO

stealy

Trek top fuel 9.9 cracked

Hi i have a top fuel 9.9 the first frame cracked after five races top tube and seat tube.
    I have to say i am not pleased with Trek for one it cracked after fifteen hours riding then Trek had it back and im left without a bike to race they should have replaced the bike it's only a month and a half old but no they just replace the front triangle. The bike came back the forks are scratched, shock and frame. And now my chain line is off so my front mech does not work and i don't have the tools to remove the XTR chainset.

A company as large as Trek should provide better customer service it should not have broken full stop.

So i would realy not recomend one