mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Top fuel 8 08' versus '07

Other than the rear shock and the SRAM compenents are these bikes identical?

In the trek is has this added for the 08 model:

Ride
    The ultimate cross country full suspension racing machine, built for speed and victory with the lightest and stiffest platform available. Suspension tuned for optimal pedaling efficiency.

Alpha Red aluminum main frame.
    R1 Suspension Technology provides the optimum blend of pedaling efficiency, balanced ride characteristics, and an active suspension.
    Main pivot cartridge bearings adding better small bump compliance.
    Hi-Lo asymmetrical swingarm is stiffer and saves over 200 grams over previous bonded version.
    100mm front wheel and 90mm rear wheel suspension travel.

Are the frame and suspension technology actually different? Or is this just not listed in 07' and is still there... My understanding was that they were essetially the same bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Same frame and suspension technology, just different rear shock and components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks. And what would you say would be the most economical way to save some weight? Want to get as close to 25 ibs as possilbe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The 08 might come with the Tubeless ready wheels - my TF69er did. Get the Bontrager stips and valves and convert it to Tubeless. That might be good for almost a pound. After that, I don't see any cheap upgrades, since none of the parts are not that heavy and no single upgrade will save a ton of weight. I swapped some parts from my old bike to save some weight - replaced the cassette with an XT 11-32, a Race Lite rear wheel, a Race XXX lite stem, XO shifters, Race X-lite cranks, as well as some new parts like a Thomson Masterpiece post (for more setback) and FSA carbon bars. I think my bike weighs 26.5 pounds with EggBeater pedals and a cage.

mtbr member
    I've got an 07 Top Fuel and from what I've seen they are the same bike as kdiddy stated. Different rear shock and a few other components. As for saving weight I don't think your going to have much luck. The bontrager Jones tires they put on the bike are pretty darn like but junk. To go tubeless and get a good tire your looking at a much heavier tire so all in all I don't think there's much weight savings to be had. I've been running the numbers to try to shave some weight and its been pretty tough. All in all its a pretty light bike as it sits. I've been very pleased with mine over the past year I've owned it. Not a super smooth ride but fast and very nimble.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ^ Thanks for your reply... I have to say I'm still very much thinking about getting a Fuel EX 9 as I don't JUST race and would love somthing that I don't get tired on quickly... That said I'm worried that and EX would leave me in the dust and disspointed when racing which I would hope to do 6-10 times a season...

mtbr member
    I just did my 1st race a couple weeks ago and must say the bike served me very well. I have a friend that does a fair amount of racing and has a little heavier and more suspension travel bike and after riding the top fuel he commented that he should have bought something along that line. It's a tough decision, I had a fuel ex 8 prior to this and I'll say it defiantly had a more plush ride but was slower and not as agile as the top fuel. Once I rode the top fuel I decided I could live with less travel. Now would I feel the same comparing the new Fuel Ex to the older Top Fuel design??? Not sue as I've never had a chance to ride one. Fact is if your like me , I'm never happy for long. My guess is you should be able to pick up a Top Fuel for around $1,500. due to the new model release next year.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters
    Not a super smooth ride but fast and very nimble.
    Exactly the same reason I still love my old '01 Fuel 90 ....... feels efficient and tight .... am not a big fan of "plush" or whatever, here..

Members who have read this thread: 0