mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Upset Top Fuel 110 carbon frame durability

I am new to this forum and pretty new to mountain biking. I am pretty much into single track and nothing else.

I bought my bike brand new from a LBS and been riding it for a month now. Just today I washed my bike and while wiping the carbon frame I found out that the frame has a deep scratch on bottom portion of the frame where the cable from the remote pop loc (control cable to lock the front and rear shox) is located. You can also see that the cable is scratched up probably because of the friction with the frame.

It seems like carbon fiber is so sensitive even just from cable rubbing on the frame. I don't want to keep riding this bike and not knowing that the frame has hair line fractures due to this issue.

Will Trek consider this as a defect or a user error? If this is a defect, will they replace my frame with a new one?
    I have been thinking of replacing this carbon frame with the EX9 aluminum frame plus $$ refund since I paid more for this bike. Do you guys think Trek will honor this proposition?

Sorry for the long thread but now I am skeptical with the durability of carbon.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Corrie
    Jul 2006
    If it is caused by the cables, the store that assembled the bike will be at fault. If there is no sign of force trauma, they will undoubtly ship the bike back to be replaced. OLCV Carbon 110 has a life time warrentee. To prevent scratching, place clear protective cable tape on your frame. You can barley see it, and it works great.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Is it just a scratch or a deep gouge?

Cause a scratch in the clear coat is nothing, you will get worse from sticks scraping the side on singletrack.

If it isnt bad id get some kind of tape as was suggested or lizard skin wrap to go around the areas. That problem is normal and any bike that diddnt do one of those has prob parts of their paint rubbed off from the cable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    been thinking about that word the whole day! yes, its a deep gouge that resulted from the frame rubbing with the cable.

i attached a pic to let you guys decide if it is just a paint scratch or a deep "gouge".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Corrie
    Jul 2006
    I would have it looked at. Carbon Fibre is always iffy. So make sure you inform your dealer of your concerns. And ask about frame replacemet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It looks like it barely rubbed through the first layer of many layers of carbon. The fix is very simple. Make the housing loop longer. Many shops make the housing as short as possible, which is not good. Get long loop of housing that contacts the frame on the ALUMINUM BB LUG portion of the frame and NOT the down tube and your problem will worry you no further. Currently, you frame is in no jeopardy of breaking your frame. A little touch up paint will make the frame look like new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It's not a frame defect. That can happen with any frame and it is up to you to protect the frame from cables (and anything else) rubbing.

The frame is fine. You won't get any warranty for that...... and even if the impossible happened and you did get a new frame, Trek would not, under any circumstance, refund the difference.

Put any color tape you want on the frame to protect it and ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    It's not a frame defect. That can happen with any frame and it is up to you to protect the frame from cables (and anything else) rubbing.

The frame is fine. You won't get any warranty for that...... and even if the impossible happened and you did get a new frame, Trek would not, under any circumstance, refund the difference.

yup, i know that the frame is not defective and i know it can happen to any frames. i actually inquired from my LBS with regards to something that can protect the frame especially the paint but the lady doesn't even know about it. my only concern right now is that my frame is carbon, eventhough if its just a hair line fracture its like a cracked windshield, if you don't fix it, the crack will get bigger. i think this is the same case as carbon or even worst because you put more stress to your bike than a car.

BTW, if you were a beginner like me will you think of anything like buying a cable protector? i don't think so. as far as i know, i bought this bike fully assembled checked over by a bike technician and ready to be ridden and not think of anything else.

anyways, i will bring it tomorrow to my LBS and have it evaluated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I took a close look at your picture and also took notice of where the rub is located. Don't worry about it at all.

The frame is fine and since it's a rub, it also won't go any further. As far as your concerns.... you just have a rub mark. Your issue is just cosmetic. That area of the tubing is under tension and not critical at all.Ride your bike and don't give it a second thought.

I got a deep rub mark (deeper than what you showed) in the rear chainstay of my Fuel and even though that's a high stress area... it never broke or cracked.

I apologize for sounding harsh in my previous post, but I just had an issue (minutes before) with my Fuel 110. I had just finished the build and took it for a ride around the block. As I was pedaling, I got chainsuck that took off about 1 square inch of the paint off of the chainstay...sown to bare aluminum. I was upset (still am), but I'll get over it as soon as I resolve the issue.

The bottom line with your issue is it's a non issue. You can relax.

btw...Yes...It would be nice if the LBS or manufacturer took this into account and provided frame protectors and / or at least cautioned buyers to protect their frames.

mtbr member

All you need is.......

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts

All you need is that 3M tape that is know by ALL bike shops!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    All you need is that 3M tape that is know by ALL bike shops!!!!
    Obviously not