mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thoughts on 1998 Klein Pulse Race.

I am on the lookout for a cheap(ish) backup bike and came across a 1998 Klein Pulse Race in an ad .

A lot of the original kit is replaced but wheels, shifters and brakes seem to be stock. Fork is swapped to a rigid Surly Instigator (which seems a bit tall from the one pic I have).

Intended use is mainly commuting on paved road but maybe with an occasional trail ride thrown in (but I have other bikes for that as well).

Any input is greatly appreciated.I am aware it does not hold the same status as the earlier and higher end (pre-Trek?) Kleins.

Cheers
    /Johan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on 1998 Klein Pulse Race.-klein1.jpg  

TXTony
    For the intended use you described seems like it would work,,that front fork needs to go though but that should be no big deal..I would not pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for it though..it is kinda cool that it is a Klein..like those old school rigs.

Afric Pepperbird
    For commuting?? Hell yeah! That looks great! But you did not post the asking price.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    I like Mid-School Kleins... They climb great and are fast riders. Seem to hold resale because of how collectible the old ones are... Looks like a nice rigid commuter / fire road runner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That was my first "real" mountain bike, although I had the Manitou Spyder R elastomer fork. The ride was much better after switching to the Manitou Mars Elite. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    For commuting?? Hell yeah! That looks great! But you did not post the asking price.
    Oh, I didn't.
    Asking price is about 280 $ but prices in general are higher in Sweden where I live so a direct exchange rate conversion doesn't tell the whole story

Going to have a look at it tomorrow

Cheers
    /Johan

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I bought the bike.

Only have a 20 km on it but liking it. Will hang on to the fork initially but had to push the saddle forward a little bit to compensate for the slack seat angle (at about 71.5 right now).

Ride is harsher than the steel Kona I am used to. Especially with the skinny 1.9 tires. I also guess the relatively short chainstays contribute to this. But overall not a problem for intended commuter use. I will also look into getting better mudguards, at least up front.

As you can see I have quite a bit longer legs than the seller

Cheers
    /Johan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on 1998 Klein Pulse Race.-kleinpendlare_08.jpg  

Thoughts on 1998 Klein Pulse Race.-kleinpendlare_04.jpg  

Thoughts on 1998 Klein Pulse Race.-kleinpendlare_09.jpg  

Thoughts on 1998 Klein Pulse Race.-kleinpendlare_13.jpg  

mtbr member

Cool Bike

I like.
    2014 Tallboy 2

Afric Pepperbird
    Looks perfect for commuting. I like the fenders (and, unlike on a mt. bike, keep those reflectors!). I'd also keep that Surly fork. I like it.

Yeah, too bad it's not steel. Road riding/commuting on steel is heaven for its anti-harshness.