mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Tell me about the Trek 8000 disc

A lbs has a leftover one in my size....it looks super nimble and fast....is it an outdated concept though? Been riding FS 29ers the last couple of years and it seems like this would be a great bike to get some skills back on, so to speak (no more monster truck point and shoot riding). I skipped right over modern 26" designs and went straight to the 29er craze.....feeling like I missed part of my education or something. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bringing this back from the dead....shop still has the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Do you have any clue as to what model year it is? Trek hasn't made the 8000 in at least a couple of years...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Do you have any clue as to what model year it is? Trek hasn't made the 8000 in at least a couple of years...
    It's a 2011- I think the last year, in the US anyhow

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    I built up a 26" hard-tail bike a couple of years ago as a commuter, loaner, and to compliment to my 5"-travel FS. Every so often, I take it out on some of the smoother trails in the area (Central VA has a multitude of roots and rocks) and it is certainly effective at building my abilities to pick a line and to pump the terrain for speed. On my hardtail, I'm always standing up and sprinting for the next turn, tons of fun. I'd say if you want this as a second bike and it's a good price, then you should go for it.

Is this the one at your LBS?
    2011 8000 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
    With the exception of the Elixer brakes (which I've heard have reliability issues), this looks like a quality build

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I actually did get a test ride in the parking lot a few months ago. I am just trying figure out is the novelty/nostalgia will wear off quickly. My daily trails are mostly smooth and benign . Weekend stuff is not hardtail friendly at all.

Felt like a razor after riding FS 29ers but that was on flat pavement

Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes View Post
    I built up a 26" hard-tail bike a couple of years ago as a commuter, loaner, and to compliment to my 5"-travel FS. Every so often, I take it out on some of the smoother trails in the area (Central VA has a multitude of roots and rocks) and it is certainly effective at building my abilities to pick a line and to pump the terrain for speed. On my hardtail, I'm always standing up and sprinting for the next turn, tons of fun. I'd say if you want this as a second bike and it's a good price, then you should go for it.

Is this the one at your LBS?
    2011 8000 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
    With the exception of the Elixer brakes (which I've heard have reliability issues), this looks like a quality build

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Sounds like this would be just the thing to add some fun to your week-day ride. I don't know about you, but my "little yellow happy pill", as I call my hardtail with 26" wheels and a 100mm fork, still puts a ear-to-ear grin on my face after 15 years of mt biking

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    I actually did get a test ride in the parking lot a few months ago. I am just trying figure out is the novelty/nostalgia will wear off quickly. My daily trails are mostly smooth and benign . Weekend stuff is not hardtail friendly at all.

Felt like a razor after riding FS 29ers but that was on flat pavement