mtbr member
    May 2013

Tall Superfly Riders

I am 6'7", 220#, and would like to get the superfly 100 pro sl 23", but not sure if I could get the bike to fit me (don't have access to try one out). Are there any tall riders (6'6" and taller) that own this bike? With a taller seat tube/handlebar stem, etc, is it possible to get an optimal fit? The superfly seems to be one of the taller production carbon FS 29ers out there. Look forward to the replies. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm going to say yes, the 23" will fit you, There may be some adjustments that may need to be make to get you just right on that bike.
    I have one of my customers around your same build riding a 23 with no problems. You make asked them if they have a 23 to get on to see if your ok with the frame size but I think the bike be a fit for you

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    At 6' 6 1/2" tall, but 190-195lbs ready to ride, my OCLV Superfly 100 fits me really well. The only consideration I might have for you is your weight. You might be on the upper end of it stress limits. Ask to make sure before getting it.

Also check out the Rocky Mountain 999RSL or the 970RSL in their XXL sizing. That is bike rocks the socks off the Superfly 100. The 999RSL will be my next bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks for your reply. I'm 220#. In your opinion, why is the RM 999RSL superior to the superfly?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not only my opinion, read the reviews here and elsewhere.

While the Superfly 100 is a great bike, the RM 999RSL is a fantastic bike!

The 2013 Superfly 100 PRO SL is a $9K bike with **** wheels. Trek Superfly 100 have a reputation of being on the fragile side. A Specialized S-Works Epic would be a touch too small and is $10K. These too have a reputation: of being very difficult to set up. The 999RSL is $8K with decent wheels. RM doesn't have a rep for being fragile or difficult to set up. Roll on some Stan's Arch EX (rated to 230lbs) for $600 and the thing our of the box in the XXL size would weigh about 23.5lbs!

This is coming from a guy who own's the bike you are considering!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Not only my opinion, read the reviews here and elsewhere.

While the Superfly 100 is a great bike, the RM 999RSL is a fantastic bike!

The 2013 Superfly 100 PRO SL is a $9K bike with **** wheels. Trek Superfly 100 have a reputation of being on the fragile side. A Specialized S-Works Epic would be a touch too small and is $10K. These too have a reputation: of being very difficult to set up. The 999RSL is $8K with decent wheels. RM doesn't have a rep for being fragile or difficult to set up. Roll on some Stan's Arch EX (rated to 230lbs) for $600 and the thing our of the box in the XXL size would weigh about 23.5lbs!

This is coming from a guy who own's the bike you are considering!
    The reviews look great...and i am a dual citizen. Do you think I could make the bike fit with the seat and handle bars level (for back comfort)? Do you have a seat to handle bar drop on your superfly? many thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The saddle height is a small amount higher than the bars on my Trek. I think the seat tube is something like 584mm on the Trek and the seat post is no where near the maximum extension of 400mm. It runs at least 50-70mm below max. If I recall, the RM 999RSL seat tube is about 545mm. (I have long legs, BTW) The top tube is kind of long on both bikes; it is an XC race bike after all. The RM has a longer top tube

I run my bike with super wide Race Face SIXC (760mm) handle bar and a shorter than stock 90mm Thomson stem. I am not a fan of setback seat posts as they change the weight bias too far to the rear. I like a shorter stem too. The longer the stem the faster the steering is. The Trek has a steep head tube angle while the RM is a little more raked out. But the RM has much shorter chain stays, putting the rear wheel up under the rider for better climbing, not that the Superfly 100 is a bad climbing bike. It is just very long. I am also running 180mm XT 38/26 cranks instead of the Sram 175mm.

I don't have any back issues after a long (30-50 mile) ride. I ride 5 or 6 days a week, 20 milers for most rides with a couple of longer rides a week too: always nonstop! Train, train, train!!! I live in the southern Rockies so we climb and descend over some pretty rocky terrain. I ride out of the saddle as much as I ride on it. For me, I want a bike I can move around on easily. If I am locked into a specific position, that is when things hurt.

Does have dual citizenship (I am presuming you mean with Canada?) make a difference for you?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    The saddle height is a small amount higher than the bars on my Trek. I think the seat tube is something like 584mm on the Trek and the seat post is no where near the maximum extension of 400mm. It runs at least 50-70mm below max. If I recall, the RM 999RSL seat tube is about 545mm. (I have long legs, BTW) The top tube is kind of long on both bikes; it is an XC race bike after all. The RM has a longer top tube

I run my bike with super wide Race Face SIXC (760mm) handle bar and a shorter than stock 90mm Thomson stem. I am not a fan of setback seat posts as they change the weight bias too far to the rear. I like a shorter stem too. The longer the stem the faster the steering is. The Trek has a steep head tube angle while the RM is a little more raked out. But the RM has much shorter chain stays, putting the rear wheel up under the rider for better climbing, not that the Superfly 100 is a bad climbing bike. It is just very long. I am also running 180mm XT 38/26 cranks instead of the Sram 175mm.

I don't have any back issues after a long (30-50 mile) ride. I ride 5 or 6 days a week, 20 milers for most rides with a couple of longer rides a week too: always nonstop! Train, train, train!!! I live in the southern Rockies so we climb and descend over some pretty rocky terrain. I ride out of the saddle as much as I ride on it. For me, I want a bike I can move around on easily. If I am locked into a specific position, that is when things hurt.

Does have dual citizenship (I am presuming you mean with Canada?) make a difference for you?
    -Many thanks for sharing your set up and the great advice. I just saw that there is a RM dealer in my town, and I will check them out for sure.
    Wow, you are putting in some miles. Being a physician and tethered to a hospital really makes your riding envious to me. But fully taking advantage of every little time window is key.
    Other then the patriotic thing, I don't think it would benefit me to have my dad buy one up there and bring it down. The taxes in B.C. are close to 14%.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    6'8" / 210lbs (used to be 230 lbs, but all the riding....)and the XXL Superfly Elite 100 carbon is my main ride. No problem with fit for me, long arms / long legs, so about a 3" drop to handlebars.....awesome bike and very comfortable. I also have an aluminum XXL Stumpjumper which I ride on rockier trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am 6'6" 215 and ride a 2013 SF100 SL Elite. The cockpit is stock. The bike is big enough for us tall boys and will leave you with the room to expand or tighten up the cockpit if need be. I have raced it five times and have 700 miles on it. I ride it quite hard and have not had any issues so far. Someone above said the SF100 SL Pro comes with "Sh*t" wheels. I am curious how I could be impressed with something that is "Sh*t." Why exactly are they so bad? The Bontrager RXL wheels are pretty darn good in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm 6'8" and weigh 245 and I ride a super fly 100 al and the only changes have been the fitting of a set of 780mm fat bars. The bike is my first full sus bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    6'6" 245lbs and ride a 21" Superfly 100 AL Pro, fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got a team mate your size, and his XXL Superfly fits him well. But.........he has had numerous breakage/cracking issues, all of which Trek took care of at no charge, including the last one, which happened at least three years after the original purchase.

I raced an XL SF100 for a year (6'2" and 195) and it worked out fine, but I gotta say, my new XL Turner Czar is a far better and stiffer bike. It's also available in XXL soon, most likely August, if you can wait. If not, the Fly should suit you well.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I've got a team mate your size, and his XXL Superfly fits him well. But.........he has had numerous breakage/cracking issues, all of which Trek took care of at no charge, including the last one, which happened at least three years after the original purchase.

I raced an XL SF100 for a year (6'2" and 195) and it worked out fine, but I gotta say, my new XL Turner Czar is a far better and stiffer bike. It's also available in XXL soon, most likely August, if you can wait. If not, the Fly should suit you well.
    What's breaking?

That worries me. Bought mine used so no warranty...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Problems with frame/stay failure occur for three reasons: crashes, stress fracture from hard usage, and stress fracture from oversized rider, sometimes combinations.

If you want a race bike (meaning, very light) and you weigh 220lbs + you have to know that weight is a large contributing factor in frame/stay failure.

There isn't a race bike made (meaning, very light) that won't eventually break. If you want a sub-24lb pound bike, there are all compromises.

The Superfly 100 OCLV bike is a race bike. Period. They are designed around and for a lighter weight racer. Period.

If you weigh more than 200lbs, consider an all-mountain ride, like the new Trek Fuel 29er, the new Specialized Enduro 29er, or a Rocky Mountain Instinct 970. Also consider a custom Ventana product if you're an especially a big boy!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post

Are you a team rider for Turner ? Just curious