mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Suspension Setup on Fuel EX8

I've been out on quite a few rides and I just can't seem to get the bike setup smooth? I weigh 135# and I primarily ride rough XC trails with the occassional smaller drops. Originally the LBS set me up with basically the 60% rule of thumb. I tried it out read up a bit and started trial and erroring. Right now the back is at 115psi..which amounts to about 4mm of sag. The front Reba is set at 100psi (+) & (-) equally about 15mm of sag. My biggest trouble is setting up the rear shock really. I get a ton of wasted pedal bob even though it seems I'm set up to run more firm than what is recommended or most do? My plan was to just keep going up in psi until I get a good XC ride? The only real issue I have w/the front (I've been slowly decreasing the rebound) is that on some solo hits the handlebars seem to be popping back into my chest too much and not really absorbing the hit? It seems like a fine line...I just don't like too plush of a ride as it really seems to slow me down? Any thoughts from those more experienced w/this ride would be great! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Not much help with the rear suspension setup though I'm about 150# using Rebas on the Fuel - I've only got about 85 psi in the positive and 70 psi in the negative. For sure if the handlebars are popping back as fast as you say, the rebound's set way too fast.

Reckon maybe you just need more rides to get used to a full-susser especially if you've been riding short-travel hard-tails before. Plush does not necessarily mean slow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the reply Frank..any thoughts are good! My previous bike was a full suspension Giant NRS w/100mm fork up front. The suspension was just not so spongey feeling? I know part of it is just the advancement in suspension but when I'm peddling I can physically see the back shock bobbing like crazy where as the NRS didn't do that at all?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm new to an EX 7 and I feel pretty close with my current set up. I set the fork to about 20mm sag using the + air then I set the - air equal or a little more than the +. Flood set about to the middle and the rebound a little to the slow side (still working on that). The shock I set to about 8 mm sag, the flood set about in the middle and the rebound set about 7 clicks from full turtle. I get a pretty plush ride and I don't notice much bob. Setting the rebound to the slow side seemed to make a big difference there. For your riding style you might want to try setting your flood all the way closed on both ends and ride locked out most of the time. You would still get relief on the big hits...

Hope this helps some, Matt